Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently joined the army national guard and I will have to be away from my dobe for about 6 months, he is 1.7 years old. I live with my family so he’s still gonna have people there to take care of him and take him on walks. Has anybody spent a while away from their Dobe, what was it like when they saw you again? Hoping to hear some responses lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took care of a now 5 years old european doberman for a buddy who had to leave for 9 months but the dog had little to no training, was very well trained in pulling the leash, barking at whoever suspect and attack joggers and whatnot. I was well acquainted with her but on the level where she would go nuts seeing me because it meant that we were going to have a good time ahead and i always give her attention & affection and i often were more lenient with spoiling.

When i took over, it was very difficult because i wasn't accustomed to her bad behaviors and it eventually annoyed me immensely. I didn't think i would be able to do it even but got a lot of help to learn about training and the breed here and made it through on and off boarding her soon 7 months.

I think realistically the dog would have gone to a shelter had i not bothered to go to the forums and do all the work because the dog was very difficult to deal with in the beginning, a lot of anxiety, demands and aggression.

As soon as we started training she became more aggro towards me, aggro demand barking and marking territory indoor. The other couple who helped me take care of her couldn't even deal with her at that time and even used ads to find people who want to board a dobe but none of these could deal with her.

After training became decent she quickly changed her ways and now she is a very good dog with great behavior and is more like a therapy dog than taxing.

I do think in general if i didn't really want to learn to train the dog it wouldn't have worked well but i also think if she had 2-3 weeks with a very good trainer she would have learned all i taught her in 6 months which was operant conditioning for communication and counter conditioning.

If your dogs routine doesn't change much i think you will do fine as long as it has familiar people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is it YOUR dog or a 'family' dog?

Who cares for the dog primarily?

Cause if YOU are the dogs primary human (the one that feeds it, walks it, cares for it, the one it sleeps with at night) - That might be a chore for the other family members when you leave. The dog is not going to be happy for a good while if you are it's primary caregiver and all of the sudden not around for a long while.

Depending on how strong the bond is with you - The dog may be messed up for a while with you not being there.

I do not really 'need' a pet sitter currently or any time that I can see in the near future but - On occasion I will drop the girls off at the sitters house instead of taking them to work just because it is good for them. If something happens and I 'need' their designated sitter for an extended period - I would rather the girls be somewhat accustomed to her and HER to be somewhat accustomed to them.

First time I left mine at the current sitters house for the day when I picked them up that night I got a pretty big smile listening to her tell me about how she had hell all day long trying to get them to go potty. Said that no matter how many times she opened the back door for them that neither would cross the threshold and go back there. Told me they just stood there looking at her and 'waiting'.

I asked her if she had attached their leads first as I had instructed her and nope. Had her try it again while I was sitting there and like magic when the leads were attached (like I told her) and she opened the back door - Both girls ran out there instantly and left her everything they had been holding all day.

When dogs are trained to NOT shoot through an open doorway if their leads are not attached - Good luck getting them to go through that doorway with the leads not attached. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father had a job overseas and he came back for almost a year and he still remembers my dad. He sniffed for about a few seconds and became hyper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts