Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when I asked about when your dogs first displayed their protective instincts? Ironically, I believe Sherman just had his first this morning.

This story was told to me by my friend after he got to my front door.

Apparently my front gate was left unlocked which I never do. Anyway, my buddy was coming by to borrow money and he walked in my front gate. Sherman was on the porch which is five steps up from where he was on the ground level. He said that Sherman stood up and stepped forward, threw his big paw out and stomped it on the ground, then let out a growl. He said he walked a few steps closer and Sherman did it again: threw his paw out and stomped it and gave a growl. He proceeded to walk slowly by Sherman and I guess he was allowed to proceed.

You know how dogs can sense things? Maybe Sherman sensed he was coming to borrow money? LOL..

Anyway, I dont know if I'm excited or not about this. I have mixed feelings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A good guard dog will know when to be protective and when not to be, mainly keying in on the situation and the owner, if present. Those who don't are like a loaded gun.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then i am happy because no one was around and he was concerned and keyed in on a big stranger he's never seen coming through the gate.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah if its the first time sherman has seen your friend this sounds like an okay reaction...it would be a different story if sherman has met your friend and seen your friend numerous times before lol.
the more the dog is socialized the better judgement they get and a well socialized dog makes the ideal watch dog :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He is on his way to being exceptionally well socialized. He's really mellow and easy going around people. I have him around children constantly, we go to all the little league games with him, he has puppy kindergarten every week, and we go to the dog park at least once a week... This episode is interesting because i have never heard him growl unless playing. I didnt even know he had it in him. :)

I notice when people approach him "all nervous", he is wary and doesnt really want them pawing at him. On the other hand, when people approach with easiness and confidence, he readily accepts handling. I find that interesting.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I notice when people approach him "all nervous", he is wary and doesnt really want them pawing at him. On the other hand, when people approach with easiness and confidence, he readily accepts handling. I find that interesting.
Duchess is the same way...if people are really weary of her coming up to her to meet her she will back up and would rather not waste her time haha. but if people are confident she will show them lots of love :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love that. I think their uneasiness makes Sherman uneasy. Frankly, it makes me uneasy too! LOL

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
my Gypsy is like that.. if someone comes to the door or in the house and is all uneasy or stiff.. she will let a low growl and sniff them..then stand close to me or hubby. but if they come in with a easy way and just matter of fact.. she will wag her tail and let them pet her.. she knows...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts