Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, following on from my post a few days ago I have taken the plunge and booked Tia in for her op - next Friday 20th April. She goes in at 8am and should be ok to come home at 5pm (god willing). I've spoken to the Vet and she's said its definitely the correct thing to do. I surely hope she's right. I'm very very nervous about this.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Good luck on your nerves :) I am sure she will do fine!

I am in the boat with you..........I am getting Mr. O neutered very soon, but keep putting off actually making the call because of my own nerves :D

Next friday is actually Orson's birthday.........so I can't put it off much longer.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I felt that same way when I dropped Java off, but I felt much better after speaking with the vet who was doing the surgery. He made a point of speaking with me beforehand and told me that on the day they schedule surgeries, they have all of their vets and techs who have dogs, bring them into the kennel in case there is a need for an emergency transfusion. Java had her clotting test about ten days beforehand. BTW - we were asked to wait until after her first season to have her spayed. And if they don't send her home w/ a collar, you may want to get one, as she will def want to lick her stiches as they heal.

Vet kept her for three days so by the time I got her she was starting to feel much better. You'd think a plastic surgeon had stitched her up - she has no scar! One huge plus is that the vets LOVE her - when I brought Java in for her 'post-op' check-up, she kept nudging the vet's lab coat pocket checking for treats!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel like a jackass for asking but the dumbest question is the one that you do not ask so here goes......What are the advantages to neutering/spaying and when and why should it be done? Sorry but this is the 1st animal that we've owned from a pup.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I feel like a jackass for asking but the dumbest question is the one that you do not ask so here goes......What are the advantages to neutering/spaying and when and why should it be done? Sorry but this is the 1st animal that we've owned from a pup.

For female you increase the chances of certain cancers by not spaying. Everytime your bitch goes into heat and is not bred, your chances of breast, and uterine cancer goes up. Also she will not bleed all over your floors anymore.

The pro's for Neutering are that your dog will not roam as often, certain aggression will diminish. He may stop mounting, and lifting his leg also.

Best of all no puppies!

Reactions: jeromejenkins

·
Registered
696 Posts
Kilo still doesn't lift his leg, he squats like a female!
Thats funny. They all do until they mature a bit. Some people think Neutering early prevent leg lifting and marking. This may be the time to get it done.

My mother had a blue doberman named Kilo when I was a kid. She was why i like them today. I love those blues!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I was a basket case the morning I dropped Chi off for her spay - Jess was too when she dropped Lexus off :) I really think it was harder on us than on the girls - at least they got good drugs :)
LOL, you remember that huh?

It's the best thing to do, don't worry, Tia'll be fine!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
For female you increase the chances of certain cancers by not spaying. Everytime your bitch goes into heat and is not bred, your chances of breast, and uterine cancer goes up. Also she will not bleed all over your floors anymore.

The pro's for Neutering are that your dog will not roam as often, certain aggression will diminish. He may stop mounting, and lifting his leg also.

Best of all no puppies!
Not to mention for a male the chances of testicular cancer are diminished.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Some people think Neutering early prevent leg lifting and marking. This may be the time to get it done.
Copper (now 10 yrs) who was spayed under 6 months does lift his leg. I actually don`t mind it. He tends to pee on mulch beds--things that have height--so he doesn`t brown the grass like a female. So you might want to hope they lift their legs, I personally don`t mind it all and my grass doesn`t either.:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Intact bitches are also at risk for pyometra, a utinerary infection that can be fatal.

My friends dog (not a dobie) got this and the vet told them that they had only just caught it in time - she was very very poorly. They had never bred their dog but had just thought it not important to get it done (they were very careful when she was in season). They felt so guilty when Jade was so poorly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your kind comments. I have, tonight, mentioned Tia's op date to my trainer and she also agrees that it is the right thing to do. Doesn't stop you being nervous though!

Thank you all again and I will let you know how she goes on.

x

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Good luck. I am sure everything will be fine. Just so you guys know, if and when neuter Bumpy I will be online all day making everyone reassure me. It is scary. Your girl will come home happy and healthy.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Mensa goes in on Monday.

It's a common enough procedure (at least in Mensa's case) and the Vets know what they're doing.

I'm sure Tia's going to be fine, and you'll find yourself trying to keep her calm when she wants nothing more than to run and jump.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts