Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to know when is the best age to spay a female dob - curious to know what's everyones opinion on this is?
my vet says about 6-7 months before her first heat? comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,261 Posts
Generally, you want her to have her first heat (at least) to ensure proper growth.
 

·
Registered
4yr old female
Joined
·
373 Posts
AFTER her 1st heat (second if you can manage) this allows her to fully grow and her hormones to balance out.
 

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
If you can handle letting her go through a few heat cycles, research is showing that the benefits of leaving them intact outweigh the benefits of an early spay. However, if you don't think you could prevent an accidental breeding, then spaying earlier is the better option.
 

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Joined
·
28,593 Posts
Wait til the dog is about 18 months or so (which generally means 2 heats) Also about 3 months after the last heat is better.


UNLESS you don't think you can keep her from breeding--do you have a male dog in your household; are there a lot of loose dogs in your neighborhood; do your neighbors have male dogs who might be able to dig under a fence; are you unable to watch her (go out with her) every single time you let her out to go potty?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,777 Posts
I keep males--but if I kept bitches I let them go through at least two seasons and say 3 to 4 months after the second season. If I kept bitches and was actually breeding them (and if they were of the quality I think a brood bitch should be) I'd breed on the third season. Skip one and breed on the next. IF and only IF the bitch bred easily, whelped easily, was a great mother and the puppies were exceptional in both of the preceding litters I might breed a third litter and then I'd spay--the likelyhood of pyometra increases in older bitches.

But this is all entirely theoretical--I really only keep boys around here.

dobebug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,885 Posts
I waited until my girl, Jada was 2 1/2 before I spayed, but she came in late her first season. And, yes wait midway between season, like 2-3 month after she came in to have her spayed.
Jada is now a couple months away from her 10th birthday and has always kept her svelth figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait til the dog is about 18 months or so (which generally means 2 heats) Also about 3 months after the last heat is better.


UNLESS you don't think you can keep her from breeding--do you have a male dog in your household; are there a lot of loose dogs in your neighborhood; do your neighbors have male dogs who might be able to dig under a fence; are you unable to watch her (go out with her) every single time you let her out to go potty?
there are a couple of dogs in the area but there are fixed and do not wonder out of their yards - electric fence - we all are wide spread - we all have 2 acres - about 400 feet between houses - i do have male dog a brussels griffon he's 11 and fixed - i do not want to breed just a pet owner - i'll leave the breeding to breeders - we have enough in our household - 2 cats, 2 parrots
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Unless you are not able to handle her, I would never get her spayed unless it is medically necessary. If you do not want to deal with her heat cycles or cannot keep her from being bred unintentionally, I would wait until she is 2 years old or older.

I disagree with your veterinarian a lot. At 7 months she has not even developed her secondary sex characteristics and will always look androgynous (butchy).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Like to know when is the best age to spay a female dob - curious to know what's everyones opinion on this is?
my vet says about 6-7 months before her first heat? comments?
Of concern are Pyometra and mammary tumour metastasis. Wade through the AVMA journal link and weigh the pros and cons of early spay versus later spay vs un-spaying. Personal experience in having dogs/Doberman and Labs that were categorized under both late spay and un-spayed made no difference re: Pyometra and mammary tumours —in both incidences both dogs were afflicted.

My current female Dobe is 3 years young and was spayed (Ovariohysterectomy vs ovariectomy) before her first heat. As a result of the early spay and absence of the female hormone estrogen then bone plates continued growth making her slightly taller (26 1/2 in) than would be if she remained intact. Her weight is a well conditioned 75lbs. My hope is that she escapes issues of Pyometra and mammary tumours as the odds of early spay indicate those chances as being lowered. I see none of the androgynous characteristics in her appearance. She is high energy ( 5 + miles bikejoring 3x week dependent on bearable humane temp. & weather max couple inches snow) and high levels of play, prey, pack and defence drives that are never extinguished regardless of the level and intensity of training in those respective drives.

At the onset of this post I provided a link to prepare you in a Q&A discussion with your vet regarding the 'why and when to spay' vs the 'why not and when not to spay'.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,936 Posts

·
Registered
1
Joined
·
62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Of concern are Pyometra and mammary tumour metastasis. Wade through the AVMA journal link and weigh the pros and cons of early spay versus later spay vs un-spaying. Personal experience in having dogs/Doberman and Labs that were categorized under both late spay and un-spayed made no difference re: Pyometra and mammary tumours —in both incidences both dogs were afflicted.

My current female Dobe is 3 years young and was spayed (Ovariohysterectomy vs ovariectomy) before her first heat. As a result of the early spay and absence of the female hormone estrogen then bone plates continued growth making her slightly taller (26 1/2 in) than would be if she remained intact. Her weight is a well conditioned 75lbs. My hope is that she escapes issues of Pyometra and mammary tumours as the odds of early spay indicate those chances as being lowered. I see none of the androgynous characteristics in her appearance. She is high energy ( 5 + miles bikejoring 3x week dependent on bearable humane temp. & weather max couple inches snow) and high levels of play, prey, pack and defence drives that are never extinguished regardless of the level and intensity of training in those respective drives.

At the onset of this post I provided a link to prepare you in a Q&A discussion with your vet regarding the 'why and when to spay' vs the 'why not and when not to spay'.
Well good thing I'm waiting until after 18 months for my girl. At 15 1/2 months she's topped out at about 27 1/2" in height. Hate to think she may have ended up taller with an early spay. Also both her and her sibling in my Double Trouble post have yet to have their first heat. Her sister belongs to a good friend of my breeder who confirmed no heat yet and said not to worry. Bonus side off this, I'll only have one cycle to go through. :giggle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Earliest would be 5 months, that's when I had my Hannah's done. And I wouldn't bother paying for nor having her wear a lamp shade as I've never had a female lick at the incision. Males I would have wear it as it's a more infection prone healing site. As far as having Hannah spayed, I just wanted to get it over with along with all her puppy shots and rabies shot and not have to worry about anything till her next rabies shot in a year which would be good for 3 years and any boosters she would need. From reading above it appears it may be better to wait longer but if you were wondering when's the earliest 5 months is it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,261 Posts
I honestly wish pediatric speuters were illegal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I honestly wish pediatric speuters were illegal.
In California where I'm at, the legislators to gouge us even more have a two tiered pet licensing system. For a 3 year license if the dog is spayed it's $90 or $30 a year, for a non-fixed dog it's $360 or $120 a year. And considering once the dog gets its rabies shot I have to go and show proof and license him/her and get the dog tags I'd rather only pay $90 vice $360 for a dog license - so earlier while it may not be the best thing to do for the dog it is for my wallet and unfortunately this State forces my hand especially since I'm not made of money.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top