Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the day that Copper went to the vet to be spayed. I dropped her off at 8AM...they had a few questions and asked if I wanted a blood profile done...I agreed and asked that they also did a clotting test on her. At 11AM I got a phone call from the vet stating that they would not be doing the surgery due to clotting time and asked me to stop down and talk with her. Of course I immediatley go down there. She tells me that the clotting time was over 10 minutes and she was not comfortable proceeding with an elective surgery. We talked about multiple things. VWD was brought up and that they could do the test for it. She had also talked about Copper needing to be on 3 days of Vit K prior to surgery. What does the Vit K do? Where do I go from here? I know that you will all have answers for me and it will be much appreciated. And on a side note...the rest of her blood work up was within normal ranges.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just saw the VetGen thing at Islewind...do you think I should send for it? I feel like such a retard asking these questions.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Wegs813 said:
I just saw the VetGen thing at Islewind...do you think I should send for it? I feel like such a retard asking these questions.
Yes, since the surgery was cancelled and it was an elective procedure anyway, I'd take the time (usually about two weeks) to do the dna test and find out her vWD status for sure.

Being honest, I'd also be looking for a vet who knew a bit more about vWD in dobermans or was willing to consult with someone who did know..I just have never heard of vitamin K being useful for vWD. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's normally used for animals who have accidentally ingested rat poisons like warfarin.

Some vWD affected dogs respond to being given DDAVP prior to surgery with increased clotting ability, but it doesn't work with all dogs. Someone just posted the other day on this board about a chinese herb that the vet school at UCDavis recommended for clotting ability.

The same thread also discussed having fresh frozen plasma, or cryoprecipitate on hand during surgical procedures..obviously if the dog has abnormal clotting ability for any reason, then precautions have to be taken during any kind of surgery. There are also coagulation panels that can be done to further explore how well the blood is clotting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Murreydobe said:
Being honest, I'd also be looking for a vet who knew a bit more about vWD in dobermans or was willing to consult with someone who did know.
My vet had a call in to the University of Minnesota to see about precautions. As of the time that I picked Copper up she had not heard back from them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question....would it be better to go with someone that would do a laser spay or does it run the same risks? I know nothing about laser spay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
For what it's worth, I had my vwd affected rescue girl laser spayed, and she did just fine.

She's also had an obstruction surgery (she ate a sock) and had no complications

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The Chinese herb that I had mentioned on a previous thread is called Yunna Baiwao and the manufacturer is Pyao. I believe that there are different manufacturers according to my vet. I know nothing about the herb personally, but am passing along information that UC Davis told my vet. He said to give it to my boy one week prior to surgery. I am going to pick it up this weekend in Chinatown (pending I find it) and will post a new thread when I know more specifics about the herb.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lanabana said:
The Chinese herb that I had mentioned on a previous thread is called Yunna Baiwao and the manufacturer is Pyao. I believe that there are different manufacturers according to my vet. I know nothing about the herb personally, but am passing along information that UC Davis told my vet. He said to give it to my boy one week prior to surgery. I am going to pick it up this weekend in Chinatown (pending I find it) and will post a new thread when I know more specifics about the herb.
I noticed you can buy it online if you cant find it in Chinatown.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thank you, I just looked it up - apparently I still spelled it wrong - Yunnan Bai Yao. I am not sure of the dosage for dogs, but will find out and pass it along.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
the vitamin K is the cofactor for a lot of the clotting factors, and the vet is just doing it as a precaution rather than assuming every dobe that cannot clot is automatically a vWD affected dog (which isnt true).

the BMBT is the buccal mucosal bleeding time, and im glad he didnt do the surgery on your dog - over 10 minutes and still not clotting is a scary thought, whether its vWD or something else.

id recommend getting her genetically tested (DNA test via vetgen).

i wouldnt rely on yunnan baiyao/paiyao for a vWD affected dog - can it hurt, no - but i would be loading up on DDAVP, etc and have bloodproducts on hand for this surgery. ive used it in hemangiosarcoma dogs and such with some luck, some not so much help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts