Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this is a silly question, but if you read my other post, Pula is acting out in odd ways. Although she has hurt her back, I am not sure if that is the cause, but it may be. This recent change over the last week is a little more odd.

I was wondering if, even after your bitch is spayed (Pula was spayed last year in Feb/March after her false pregnancy), that they can show signs of estrus - meaning hormone changes, strange behaviors, etc. This is the time that Pula last year was showing similar bad behaviors, and went into a false pregnancy right after.

Her current behaviors are very similar to last time. Moodiness, spookiness, growling/snarling for no apparent reason and with intent (including at me)...

I might be reaching at straws, but I am trying to get a few things to check for when I take her back to the vet. She was doing so well, that this last week or so of odd behavior is out of place, even with her sore back.

I know it could be back pain, thyroid, etc. But I am looking for any insight to help me bring the fun, nice Pula back. This version is not so nice.

Thank you for any constructive thoughts that might help me here. I apologize if this is a stupid question...

Lisa

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We do have a vet appointment tomorrow to check her out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have not had any issues like this, but wishing you and your girl the best. I would love to know the results from the visit.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I have not had any issues like this, but wishing you and your girl the best. I would love to know the results from the visit.
I haven't either. Hope you get some answers and she's feeling better.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
thyroid issues............ can be hormonal.

cvi, heart..........'anger', pain....

talking from 'experience', not 'education'.

Hugz.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Could she be on edge from restricted activity? I know you typically keep her pretty busy with training and physical activity in general. Maybe she's feeling frustrated from the routine change and pent up energy. I don't know. Just throwing ideas out. I hope you get it figured out.

Reactions: Zephyr

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
Is there any chance the spay left any tissue behind that shouldn't have been left? I've heard a few (rare) cases of females where vets missed a small amount of ovarian tissue and they had similar experiences of behavioral stuff related to hormones.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I just don't want to leave a stone unturned in my quest to figure out what is going on...

Will post an update when I know something from the vet.

Lisa

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I just talked to my vet tonight. I had left her a voicemail. We will run thyroid and hormone levels in addition to regular bloodwork to start with.
She has actually personally seen and treated more than one case of ectopic material being left over in a dog after spay that continues to alter hormones to some degree, so that is a possibility, even if not common.

Thanks everyone. Support from this forum has really helped me out and stay strong.

Lisa

·
Registered
990 Posts
So, I just talked to my vet tonight. I had left her a voicemail. We will run thyroid and hormone levels in addition to regular bloodwork to start with.
She has actually personally seen and treated more than one case of ectopic material being left over in a dog after spay that continues to alter hormones to some degree, so that is a possibility, even if not common.

Thanks everyone. Support from this forum has really helped me out and stay strong.

Lisa
It sounds like you have a great vet! I only have experience with doberboys...so no advice to give, other than thinking of any environmental factors that may have changed recently. Has Spree been acting okay? Is she acting unhappy when she is touched, or over different situations?

Good luck tomorrow, I hope you can find some answers.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Even less commonly, a bitch is born with two sets of reproductive organs. It is rare enough that a vet doing a spay wouldn't have much reason to go looking for anything else after he had removed what he went in there for. I have met two people who acquired spayed and (unbeknownst to anyone) pregnant bitches... both of them ended up raising a litter then doing a second spay to remove the hidden uterus.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even less commonly, a bitch is born with two sets of reproductive organs. It is rare enough that a vet doing a spay wouldn't have much reason to go looking for anything else after he had removed what he went in there for. I have met two people who acquired spayed and (unbeknownst to anyone) pregnant bitches... both of them ended up raising a litter then doing a second spay to remove the hidden uterus.
Wow. That's really something. Learn something every day. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vet blood work will have to wait until tomorrow. Two emergencies came in as I arrived, and both of the vets and most of the techs were in the surgeries. So, we had to reschedule for tomorrow.

As an aside, I don't really understand why people, after I tell them not to touch my dog, continue to tell me that they understand dogs and have had a lot of them and that she wants him to pet her (he was paying his bill to go). And then regale me with stories that make me think they don't know squat about dog behavior. At least Pula behaved well and did not freak out at him. When I say don't touch my dog, I mean don't touch my dog. Period. Yeesh.

Waiting for tomorrow.

He eventually listened to me, but it really is aggravating.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
Hoping for some answers for you.

Reactions: rocketdoc
1 - 14 of 14 Posts