Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maiya (2 years old) was spayed yesterday. She was prescribed a pain med and only wish I had researched Deramaxx on DT before giving her the first dose. But, I logged on this morning and read the previous posts about it.
Thank you! to all on DT for their past input on the dangers of Deramaxx and helpful links. I just called the vet and we are switching to tramadol.

So Maiya is on reduced activity for 12-14 days - which is going to be difficult for both her and her 10 month old "brother". It's been 13 years since my last Dobe was spayed so I don't remember much about after care. Hoping Maiya doesn't end up needing a cone around her neck because she won't move a muscle with one of those on her. I tried a soft, cloth one (before her spay) and had to return that one too. I have a thick neck collar but it didn't seem to help with my other Dobe. Other suggestions from the vet were a t-shirt or bitter apple cream around (not on) the incision. Hoping she'll leave the incision alone.

So happy that her surgery is over and things went well.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I would recommend you get a cone on her immediately. Don't feel sorry for her and she will be fine. If she goes at that incision you will have big trouble.

I found the clear plastic worked the best. They feel more comfortable because they can see what's happening around them.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome that you did not use DERAMAXX, Makes my day to see people are aware and being cautious..

And thank you for your helpful post about Sarge's story. You may be saving more lives. Reading the stories that this can happen in as little as 2 or 4 days was an eye opener.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I wrapped and ace bandage around my girl's waist and then put my husband's big t shirt on her pinned so she couldn't chew..........when she's outside take it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts