Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the search is over. My wife and I met with Becky Floyd today and were thoroughly impressed by her and her dogs. We are on the list for the pick of the litter red male to be born around December. I would highly recommend her! Five year health guarantee on her pups! Once again, thanks to everyone that has given me tips and advice about making the correct choices. :D

·
Smoke Chaser
232 Posts
Coming from someone who's only rescued dogs in the past, with the exception of Mila who was a gift from a breeder....... a 5 year health guarantee? :confused: Aren't reputable breeders the ones who will take back a dog of theirs at any point in time?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coming from someone who's only rescued dogs in the past, with the exception of Mila who was a gift from a breeder....... a 5 year health guarantee? :confused: Aren't reputable breeders the ones who will take back a dog of theirs at any point in time?

Maybe a breeder will chime in here but I have never heard of a "lifetime health guarantee"? How does that even work? Thyroid problems, vWD (genetically impossible for the dam and sire of my puppy to produce), hip problems and thyroid problems can usually be detected through testing before 5 years of age. I believe a health guarantee is more of a show of confidence from a breeder in her blood lines than anything. I think most reputable breeders do something like a 3 year guarantee. Becky did say she would take my dog back at anytime if I am unable to care for him. She would even give me whatever money she earns if she is able to find him a new home. Any thoughts from other breeders?

·
Smoke Chaser
232 Posts
Ah good point. Forgive any ignorance on my part :) When the day comes when we want another dog (won't be until after my sweet Dukey passes on) if we decide to buy from a breeder rather than adopt from a rescue or shelter, I hope to be 110% savvy on outstanding qualities to look for in a potential breeder ;)

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,267 Posts
Hip and thyroid problems may not be visible til older than 5, actually. HD can be tested at 2 yes but there are other hip problems than that, and thyroid pops up in dogs of all ages especially as they get older. Then you have cancers, DCM, and wobblers which don't operate on a timetable.

IDK, I've never really been interested in guarantees myself. I like to see them as it tells me the breeder is willing to stand behind their lines (or at least says so ;) ) but... I don't really care about them. Every dog dies of something. What does a guarantee do when trouble DOES hit?

Not a comment on the breeder- I don't know who they are actually- just one on guarantees. :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Health guarantees are a sham. As a breeder we do the VERY best we can to produce healthly sound puppies in body and mind but in no way can you guarantee that any animal will be healthy for any amount of time.I wish we could. I wish I had a crystal ball that will tell me I will have my pets for 10-14 yrs. But I don't and you cant. I love my dogs and what them around just as long as anyone who has a pet does. My dogs are my pets my fur children. How can ANYONE guarantee health?? I cant even sit here and say me or my child will be healthy for any extended amount of time.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have know Becky for years and she has bred some very nice Dobermans - health has always been her main concern and she is a little over the top on that IMHO. But better that way than to not care at all. She is now the founder of Gallant Hearts guide dog training center. She is a wonderful lady, very honest and breeds sound Dobermans.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Oh, if you know her maybe you can add info for us as there really isn't much on the web. In what venue does she title in and what is her breeding goals? All I could find is a tiny little thing about a litter or two coming up. Details were scarce but it did say they were health tested. They also said that they bred or were breeding both their bitches to their own male. I was curious about that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, if you know her maybe you can add info for us as there really isn't much on the web. In what venue does she title in and what is her breeding goals? All I could find is a tiny little thing about a litter or two coming up. Details were scarce but it did say they were health tested. They also said that they bred or were breeding both their bitches to their own male. I was curious about that.
I can't answer all of your questions. I do know the sire of my puppy seems to check out well. Here is the link to his dobequest page. Dobequest:Dog Profile Page Maybe someone can give me an opinion on the looks of this?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
have not heard that kennel name for a long time.

I remember a male years ago Southern Pride's Rebel Yell.....must have been the early '80's.........

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
How can you be "over the top" on health? :confused:

I don't see echo/holter results anywhere on that sire, OP.

I'd make sure you confirm (by hard copies) that both sire and dam, at minimum, have had that done, within the last six to twelve months prior to the breeding.

Reactions: tucknroll
1 - 11 of 11 Posts