Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Doberman lovers,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had any sort of experience working with the Southern California Schutzhund Club located in Long Beach. The location is an almost two hour drive for me so I was curious as to know if anyone can recommend other Schutzhund Clubs in Southern California [more towards the Montclair/San Bernadino area].
I want to get working with a program as soon as possible. I do not have my Doberman yet but I want to get as much experience with this sport since I eventually plan to be an actual participant one day.
Any advice that would point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Mandy =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much reseach that I have put into this I am beginning to think that it is in fact the nearest club to me =/.

Mandy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a few more clubs:
West Coast Shutzhund Club in Fontana (Ted Hartman)
Lake Matthews Schutzhund Club in Riverside (Peter Medina Jr.)
Golden State Schutzhund Club in Riverside (Marie Weller)

Anyone have experience with any of these clubs?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I found a few more clubs:
West Coast Shutzhund Club in Fontana (Ted Hartman)
Lake Matthews Schutzhund Club in Riverside (Peter Medina Jr.)
Golden State Schutzhund Club in Riverside (Marie Weller)

Anyone have experience with any of these clubs?
Ted is a DVG judge and has lots of experience with alternative breeds. Also Pete and Marrie have been around the sport a while. Personally, I would take a closer look at Ted's club.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I would go with Golden State. Lionel Madden is the training helper there and he is amazing, as well as a super nice guy. It is a very small club with a few Dobermanns. It is also Linda Calamia's (Adlercrest) home club.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Steve LA is not a great place for the sport period. I went to the SW regionals last weekend and was less than impressed. Lionel Madden was the back half helper and he was just ok IMO. Perhaps he is a great training director though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Mandy Im with Desert Winds Schutzhund Association formerly known as Der Hundesport Performance Klub. We are located in Lancaster and might be less of a drive for you. Uwe Doose really understands Doberman and has had tons of experience. PM me if you would like more info. Both of my Dobies have thier BH.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Steve LA is not a great place for the sport period. I went to the SW regionals last weekend and was less than impressed. Lionel Madden was the back half helper and he was just ok IMO. Perhaps he is a great training director though.
I was referring to training helper work. I don't know the circumstances of the trial, because I know he is a capable trial helper. Not to make excuses for anyone but sometimes there is direction coming from the judge that not everyone is privy to.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You really should check out all of the clubs around and see what you are the most comfortable with, and go to each one several times. I apologize for the statement regarding Ted, I was basing the statement that I would not take direction from him from a performance at a single trial, and don't know enough about his training methodology to really offer advice there.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
You really should check out all of the clubs around and see what you are the most comfortable with, and go to each one several times. I apologize for the statement regarding Ted, I was basing the statement that I would not take direction from him from a performance at a single trial, and don't know enough about his training methodology to really offer advice there.
I second this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just wanted to let everyone know that I met up with the Lake Mathews Schutzhund Club and they were super friendly, I could not have asked for a nicer group of people. My only concern was that they ALL had German Shepards and were trying to convince me to get a German Shepard puppy instead of a Doberman!
I also met Marie Weller from the Golden State Shutzhund Club [she uses Lake Mathews SC's field to practice] and to tell you all the truth, I don't think she liked me. I had called her yesterday to see if I could meet with her. Her husband informed me that she was under the weather and that she would call me back, just like you guessed she never returned my call (which is fine I understand the world does not revolve around me). I tried to speak to her tonight but she looked as me as if I wasn't good enough especially when I asked about the lady with the doberman. To my surprise it was, Linda Calamia, I saw her and got such cold feet I missed my opportunity to meet her! I was very bummed but I will go next week and make sure I introduce myself.
I plan to make arragements to see Ted Hartman so after that I will make my decision as to which group fits me best.

Thank you again to everyone for their input, have a nice week.

Sincerely,
Mandy

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right path!! Don't worry about the GSD folk. As long as you try hard and have a decent dog they should be ok. Doberman owners have to have a sense of humor and at times, thick skin to do the sport. I was at a couple GSD clubs and all was well.

If ever they rag on you, just point out that Dobermans are waaay smarter and cleaner than their beasts :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts