Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im brand new to this site so excuse me if im putting this in the wrong forum. I am from Mitchell, South Dakota and finally have the opportunity to get a dog! I just finishing college and getting my own place where i can have on and i want a doberman bad. Ive looked all over the internet and can't find anything close and when i do find something i dont know the first thing about knowing how repuitable the breeder is. If anyone has any information they can help me out with i would greatly appreciate it. Here is what im looking for-
-male
-dominant black and rust color
-mother and father with strong build and larger stature
-docked tail
-ears already started or done or at least help on how to do them
-price i can work with depending on distance i have to travel

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Be careful with the larger stature requirement you have. You would be better served looking for a doberman that is a normal size. Here's a link from the DPCA explaining why:
Doberman Pinscher Club of America: Warlock Myth
In addition to the "Warlock" terminology, also look out for "King", "Oversize", and "Supersize". If a breeder is claiming these things of their dogs, you most likely want to steer clear of them.

You may have to travel a bit to find your perfect dog, I think many people do. For example, I live in Minnesota and I'm getting a puppy in late May from Jaimand, which is located in North Dakota. It's about a 6 hour drive from where I live, which isn't too bad IMO. If you can travel there, I would definitely recommend them. Mandy has been a joy to work with so far!
Home

I'm sure others will have good breeder suggestions too. Here is an ethical breeder checklist to help you determine which breeders are good and which are not so good.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

Just my opinion, hope it helps. :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT and good luck on your search.

I want to echo Jennie's warning about the "size" requirement you mention. Dobies are a medium-sized breed. They always have been and they perform at their best that way. A dog that is built over standard suffers extra health issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts