Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH--I'm a little frustrated right now. Bruno just had his vet check. He did great. Vet said he was healthy blah blah blah. But Marc (husband) said he's noticing Bruno limping and favouring his left front paw. Now I didn't see it, but if I watch Bruno carefully I can see he is a little bit. I have no idea what it could be. He doesn't yelp or cry when I touch his leg. He's running fine when we take him out.

But I'm just wondering what it could be? Is there anything that comes to mind? His nails are all fine. None broken. He hasn't ran into anything that I know of. We have all carpet, so he doesn't slide anywhere. It just worries me. If it continues, he's going back to the vet no doubt. I just don't want to go through any more problems :( Bad enough I had to make the choice to put my cat down a few months ago. I just can't deal with any more bad news or know that my babies are in pain. Ya know?

Any in put is apperciated :) I just worry alot. Sometimes too much. I don't want anything to be wrong with Bruno. Or for him to be in any pain what so ever.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I feel your pain, I'm the same way with my critters. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. He probably twisted something doing some crazy doberboy stunt and will be fine in a day or so. My suggestion is to just keep a close eye on him. Give the doc a call in a day or so if he's still limping or now if it would make you feel better :) Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Sometimes it's not the leg at all but their paws. Maybe take a good look at Bruno's pads. Especially in the winter they can get a little dried out and cause them to limp a little. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohhh you know what OKie-Dobie....His pads are pretty rough. I was feeling his right one yesterday. I didn't even THINK to feel his left (sore one). I'll have to do that. Could I use normal moisterizer on it? Or how could I get them soft again? lol

We check his leg again today. He didn't pull back or anyting with it. But still has a barely noticable limp going on. I wonder if it is the pad? He's deffinently going back to the vet if it's not better.

I'll keep ya'll posted :D

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I know you can buy at the petstore stuff to put on their pads. But I think it is vasaline based so you could probably just plain old vasaline. If Bruno is on the sidewalks alot he could be picking up salt. Don't worry spring will be here soon! he he

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
did your vet say anything about the possibility of it being pano? He would be at the right age for it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
LMB, my Oscar just turned 6 months old and we're going through this same scenario for the second time. (BTW, Oscar looks alot like Bruno in your avatar, with the exception that his identical tug rope will never, ever be that white again.) Anyway, he is driven to chase tennis balls flat out like a rocket. Last week, after running hard for a few chases in the yard, he would hold his right foot all the way off the ground and limp for a little while. A couple hours later, no limp and ready to chase balls again. Then he'd run, jump, brake hard, etc., and start limping again. Did the vet visit (at which time of course he showed no signs of any mobility problem whatsoever, making me look waaaay overprotective). Showed no signs of pain when nails, pads, foot, knee, leg, hip (both sides) manipulated. Vet said it was definitely nothing serious to be concerned about. Either it's probably an overactivity (think twisted ankle) issue or typical "growing pains" in this lanky breed. Prescribed Rimadyl (anti-inflammatory) for 7 days and told me not to encourage play and to take him out in the yard only on a leash (no chase, no tug, no play running for awhile, even by himself outside). We've been through this twice now, the first time when he was about 12 wks. old.

Like TracyJo said, don't worry about this--it's common, esp. since you've checked him out for any acute injury. From experience, I don't even believe the Rimadyl is necessary...just R&R for a few days with no rough play. Don't sweat it--he'll be fine.

As a side note, I had to laugh out loud when the vet said to keep him from running around and being too active. Like you can do that w/a dobie pup without sedatives...

--Sooz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts