Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
King results came in!!!
Tomorrow i should get a call from the vet to let me know what the problem is. Then on tuesday, we should have some meds or something to solve the issues, or if its the cats, ill be looking for a new place(cats will stay with my mom in my current place).
I can't wait for king to be itch free and to get his hair back. im so excited for him.

Ill let you guys know when i find out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
TomAndKing said:
King results came in!!!
Tomorrow i should get a call from the vet to let me know what the problem is. Then on tuesday, we should have some meds or something to solve the issues, or if its the cats, ill be looking for a new place(cats will stay with my mom in my current place).
I can't wait for king to be itch free and to get his hair back. im so excited for him.

Hope you get the results you been wanting. I missed the last post you posted. What is going on with poor King? Well keep us posted!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hero's Mom said:
Hope you get the results you been wanting. I missed the last post you posted. What is going on with poor King? Well keep us posted!!
King has a SERIOUS allergy problem causing him to constantly be itchy and causing him to lose hair on his neck, snout, ears and hind legs. i have spend TONS of money trying to rule everythign out, but found out nothing. So...i got a full blood panel done and had it sent to the USA for the results. they came in yesterday, and i get to find out the results and the course of action we will be taking some time tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
TomAndKing said:
King has a SERIOUS allergy problem causing him to constantly be itchy and causing him to lose hair on his neck, snout, ears and hind legs. i have spend TONS of money trying to rule everythign out, but found out nothing. So...i got a full blood panel done and had it sent to the USA for the results. they came in yesterday, and i get to find out the results and the course of action we will be taking some time tomorrow.
Did your vet ever do a skin scrapping for mange? Just curioius.

·
Registered
232 Posts
TomAndKing said:

ur not in America?

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's great Tom... now maybe King will stop itching that 5th leg of his and get to serious business like taking sticks away from Pyper!! lol

Gunner... Both King and Pyper live in Canada.. Vancouver area (B.C. Coast)

·
Registered
521 Posts
TomAndKing said:
King results came in!!!

Thankyou Tom. I hope Kings results are a door for a Happy, New and Improved King.
I will keep my fingers crossed. He sure is a handsome boy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Did your vet ever do a skin scrapping for mange? Just curioius.
Yep, we did. it came back negative.

So, the results are back today. King has a high level alelrgy to June grass, woodsorrel(those buttercup things) and dust mites. He has a medium/low level allergy to cottonwood, birch, maple, oak, ash, nettle(if someone knows what this is, let me know), P.rye and redtop grasses, human dander, two kinds of mold and black ants.

quite the laundry list huh?
tomorrow we go int o discuss an injection to desensitize king to these.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Glad you know what you are dealing with at least. I hope you have success with the shots. Here is from Websters about nettle:
Main Entry: 1net·tle
Pronunciation: 'ne-t&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English netel; akin to Old High German nazza nettle, Greek adikE
1 : any of a genus (Urtica of the family Urticaceae, the nettle family) of chiefly coarse herbs armed with stinging hairs
2 : any of various prickly or stinging plants other than the true nettles (genus Urtica)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Geez oh pete Tom. It might have been shorter to list what he ISN'T allergic to!!!!

Seriously though, that is half the battle just knowing what the problems are and now King and yourself can begin down the road to recovery. Best of luck, keep us informed as we are thinking about you two!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good luck with the allergy injections Tom! I know a few people that have had some success in helping to make their dog more comfortable in dealing with allergies and I hope King falls into this catagory as well. :)

Did you test for food allergies as well? I just saw that you had enviromental things listed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
Good luck with the allergy injections Tom! I know a few people that have had some success in helping to make their dog more comfortable in dealing with allergies and I hope King falls into this catagory as well. :)

Did you test for food allergies as well? I just saw that you had enviromental things listed.

We might want to do that also. I know of a girl that her dog was tested for both and she was allergic to food and enviromental.

I'm sure glad that you found what was going on so you and King and find a cure for his allergy's. This is a new turning point for you and King.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
testing for food allergies is a waste of money - the dermatologists (or any worth their exam fee :) ) will tell you that the ONLy surefire way to diagnose food allergies is an elimination diet -- the testings just are not reliable.

im glad you have an answer, or at least a starting point! i know lots of people that have used the desensitization vaccinations and done very well - i would also suggest a long, strong, course of antibiotics (and also check for yeast, you may need an antifungal).

best of luck!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
testing for food allergies is a waste of money - the dermatologists (or any worth their exam fee ) will tell you that the ONLy surefire way to diagnose food allergies is an elimination diet -- the testings just are not reliable.
Huh. So you do learn something new everyday! So when you test for food allergies, do you get false positives or false negatives, or what? Often times when people have the entire panel run, a lot of food items come back as positive(the tests I see anyhow)... So much so, it's difficult for some to find a brand of food to put the dog on. Even after finding a food that the panel suggests, some of these dogs still don't seem to get any relief.... Could this be why?

·
Registered
460 Posts
:) Seems I found the answer to my own question on another group.

Sadly, the testing for food allergies is wildly inaccurate, producing both false positives and false negatives. It has not improved and the gold standard for food allergy testing (which has the benefit of being free, LOL) is the elimination and challenge diet. That's where you put a dog on a novel protein and nothing else (not a food product or recipe, but just one single novel protein) and then, after a period of time, usually ninety days but sometimes less, add new foods in one at a time, about a week apart.
This quote comes from Christie Keith, one of the group owners of k9Nutrition, on the subject of food allergy testing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didnt do any "tests" for food allergies, but we did do the illimination method and found nothing. At the same time we did that, we did probably a dozen scrapings, fecal tests, and urine tests for internal/external perasites. All came back negative. This last test was the last resort. Today i placed the order for the desensitzation injections($180 :boxing8: ) and that should arrive withint the next 3 weeks. In the meantime, king is one some medication to stop the itching and take away the inflamation.

Now, the down side. 25% of animals experience 100% reliefe from allergies with this desensitization treatment, 50% see a huge improvment but not complete, and the other 25% see no results. lets hope king is part of the 25% that see a 100% improvment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts