Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...we are waiting to bring our dobe home from a local breeder. My wife and I have wanted a dobe for years now, and now that our youngest is old enough we have selected our family pet.
The breeder we found is local and breeds about two litters a year. We visited the pups a few weeks ago and our kids selected the runt of the litter. I am still a bit concerned about choosing the runt...but as he will be our family pet I believed the kids should have the choice. The father is a big one...about 110 lbs. the breeder said his pups usually end up around 90 to 100.
We are in debate over a name but have it narrowed down to a few.

I am excited to get a great dog and have found a good community.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I understand about the size, we had a 110lbs golden retriever that had health issues. I just don't want an undersized dog, but I read with the pedigree you can pretty much trust the size of the parents right?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Personally, I would walk away from a breeder using a 110lb stud dog. I'd be really concerned that they were cutting corners in places other than just the conformation/structural aspect of breeding (health testing mainly - annual holters and echos, thyroid, hips, elbows, etc).

Welcome to DT!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Thanks. I understand about the size, we had a 110lbs golden retriever that had health issues. I just don't want an undersized dog, but I read with the pedigree you can pretty much trust the size of the parents right?
My 2 year old male looks best around 72 pounds. His sire is 90# and the dam is somewhere between 60-70#. He took more after the dam's size. The breeder breeds mainly with conformation and standard in mind, a lot of her puppy buyers do agility.

Just make sure they are doing all of the genetic health testing that should be done with this breed to ensure you are supporting a quality and ethical breeding program.

You just might luck out with the runt :) What are the names you have picked out so far?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Welcome to DT! This is a good community for the most part, I hope you stick around!

I echo the others so far... I would stay away from a breeder touting a 110lb stud dog, and furthermore I'd stay away from any breeder in Iowa. To my knowledge, there are no good breeders in our state. I've lived my entire life in Iowa (and have spent the past 5+ years living in the DSM area) and everyone I know with good dobes have gotten them from neighboring states... including myself. My dobes have all come from a breeder in Illinois.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My 2 year old male looks best around 72 pounds. His sire is 90# and the dam is somewhere between 60-70#. He took more after the dam's size. The breeder breeds mainly with conformation and standard in mind, a lot of her puppy buyers do agility.
I agree - your Prime and my Jayne seem to have been cut from the same cloth, they look SO much alike! Jayne is "svelte" at 75lbs. Most people estimate him to be much larger though, due to his tall frame.

Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT! Rather than be concerned about the 'runt', I would be far more concerned about the numerous health issues this breed does and can have. Get on the DPCA website and research the breed, there is much information to be found here on DT as well. Browse through some of the threads and read about the monumental health issues many people have had to deal with. Ask questions here, you might not like the answers, but you will get honest, informative answers.

I hope you stick around, learn and ultimately end up with a wonderful Dobe friend that will give your family many years of companionship and joy.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT! Rather than be concerned about the 'runt', I would be far more concerned about the numerous health issues this breed does and can have.
This!
The dobermans are such an unhealthy breed it's criminal to produce puppies without fully health-testing the parents.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the warnings as well, I may have given the wrong impression on the original thread. This breeder is definitely not "touting" her stud...they barely advertise. I have been out to their place and they are very nice and seemingly honest people. We even pulled a surprise visit to see the pups.
With this being a pet first...price is a driving factor. I have always been in the "no way I am paying that much for a dog" catagory, so this is a big step for us!

The sire and dame have been health tested...I will double check the results with some of the info Ive gained from this thread. I am not fully aware of all the health issues but honestly I don't care. We've known we wanted a dobe for years, whatever happens will happen with health. We will just do our best to ensure we are getting a healthy pup.

I m a bit concerned about someone saying there aren't any reputable breeders in Iowa. We came across this breeder by chance and liked them as people...most of the "beware this breeder" stereotypes have not been met. If anyone know of any specific reasons I should stay away from this breeder I am all ears. The breeder we are looking to purchase from is Horns dobermans in Stuart iowa.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The sire and dame have been health tested.
I'd insist on seeing hard copies of the test results. None of the dogs listed on their website can be found in the OFA online database as having their hips certified. Checking hips is about as fundamental as it comes with health tesitng-if this isn't done, it's doubtful anything else was done either.

I'd keep looking, there's nothing on that website that impresses me in the least. It would be so easy to do so much better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'd insist on seeing hard copies of the test results. None of the dogs listed on their website can be found in the OFA online database as having their hips certified. Checking hips is about as fundamental as it comes with health tesitng-if this isn't done, it's doubtful anything else was done either.

I'd keep looking, there's nothing on that website that impresses me in the least. It would be so easy to do so much better.
I am going to do more checking into the breeder based on what I've seen. I hope that we havent gotten ourselves too deep already...my kids and my wife are completely sold and we would be oicking up the puppy in about two weeks.
Also based on multiple threads on this site it seems that if we do choose to purchase our from a byb...we would be considered selfish, irresponsible people not worthy of owning a Doberman. We would love the dog the same regardless but I am afraid we would not be accepted here so if we do stick with horns...we would not be visiting the site.:(

I am not yet too emotionally attached to look past this being a big investment so I appreciate all your honest feedback. Thanks

Edit...I understand that I probably sound like a teenager getting his first car "I don't care that it's a piece of sh*t, I love it!" maybe I am already a little too attached to the idea of bringing home a new family member soon.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

research...............research and then research some more.

please check out a few young rescue dobes as well if you get the chance.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I am going to do more checking into the breeder based on what I've seen. I hope that we havent gotten ourselves too deep already...my kids and my wife are completely sold and we would be oicking up the puppy in about two weeks.
Also based on multiple threads on this site it seems that if we do choose to purchase our from a byb...we would be considered selfish, irresponsible people not worthy of owning a Doberman. We would love the dog the same regardless but I am afraid we would not be accepted here so if we do stick with horns...we would not be visiting the site.:(

I am not yet too emotionally attached to look past this being a big investment so I appreciate all your honest feedback. Thanks

Edit...I understand that I probably sound like a teenager getting his first car "I don't care that it's a piece of sh*t, I love it!" maybe I am already a little too attached to the idea of bringing home a new family member soon.
If you educate yourself on reputable/ethical breeders vs. "backyard breeders" and still choose to go with a byb, then I would consider that irresponsible. Would you not?

I think it would benefit you to fully understand the health issues that Dobermans are prone to: DPCA | The Doberman | Health. Thorough health testing, in my opinion, is a necessity. I would ask this breeder for the results and dates of the sire and dam's annual health testing.

If they don't screen for cardio or test for thyroid, etc, for whatever reason they try to sell you, I would walk away from this puppy. I know it would be difficult, especially with your kids so excited, but it would be for the best.

If you do purchase this puppy, it would still be nice if you contributed here. Although there are some strong opinions on breeder quality, there are also lots of puppy pictures and educational threads that are worth the drama :)

ETA: I would put money on their stud dog weighing less than 110lbs. My guess would be 89-93lbs tops.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts