Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everyone in my house has been hit with the stomach flu, me hit especially hard. I am more tired than I ever have been in my life and I had a baby that had colic for 10 months, so I know tired! We played with Sonya last night till she couldn't keep her keep her eyes open, then tried to put her in her kennel. She flipped out ALL night! I know all the things you're supposed to do to help a puppy sleep in a kennel. It's the perfect size for her, she has a stuffed toy, a bone, blankets. She can see us. I took her out several times to go to the bathroom and put her right back in. I told her to hush, tapped on the kennel, praised her when she was quiet, which was only about 20 seconds total. I know she was exusted. Every time I took her outside she just wanted to sit and fall over. Several times I even would open the cage and rub her belly till she would fall asleep. I would shut the door as quietly as I could, hop into bed, and the she would start all over again. She didn't sleep for more then a few minutes at a time the whole night. Finally around 6:30, I heard my kids getting up and I passed her off to them to watch her. I went back to bed for an hour, came downstairs and found the princess sound asleep in her dog bed. It's taking all my control to not go bang some pots and pans to wake her up! If she has another night like this, I'm gonna go sleep outside!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe if I haven't been so sick I could deal with it, but I'm such a zombie right now. I'm so lucky I homeschool my kids so they're home with me to watch here right now. I'm the last one in the house to get sick and I think the lack of sleep is making it worse. I refuse to put her back in bed with me though. She whacks me with her paws and chews on me like a toy. The worst part was knowing that she was just as tired as I was. Stuborn must be her middle name.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Every puppy I have had (three) cry at night. On cried for two days, one cried for a week. It's just something you have to go through. Ignoring their cries work, as long as you let them out to the bathroom every few hours.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Put the crate in your living room during the day, leave it open.
Beat the little puppy out till she falls asleep on her day bed, then put it in the crate and leave it open and stay there. she might wakeup, pull bed out and tire her out again and when she gets droopy , repeat goto sleep little girl, name, etc in a soothing voice and when she eventually closes her eyes, say good girl. Put day bed back in crate, after 10 mins or so.
Continue to repeat and rinse.
Its ideal time for her too learn sleep and quiet command, during their quietest moments.
I would recommend not leaving a stuff toy, in there or sleeping might be permanent.

·
Super Moderator
21,867 Posts
I told her to hush, tapped on the kennel, praised her when she was quiet, which was only about 20 seconds total. I know she was exusted. Every time I took her outside she just wanted to sit and fall over. Several times I even would open the cage and rub her belly till she would fall asleep.
Personally, I wouldn't do any of those things, as it teaches her that "flipping out" earns attention. I would ignore her when she's not being quiet. I'd set up a schedule for taking her out during the night, too, because often small puppies cannot hold it for an entire night. You can also start making the crate her favorite place to be by using Susan Garrett's "Crate Games."

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a crate in the living room also. She'll go to sleep byself in there during the day. The door stays open though. We also do crate games. We practice several times a day. She likes doing it. I just kept waiting for her to calm down and she didn't.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
ya, Lexi cried in her cage the first few nights too. I did not pay attention to her when I knew she didn't have to go outside to relieve herself, otherwise she will figure out that I will come whenever she is whining. The flip side of that is she has whined for good cause and ended up soiling her cage.

I also never left any soft chew toys in the cage with her, if I couldn't supervise her she only got a hard bone. Last thing I need is her to chew through a plush toy and have her eating the stuffing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel your pain, I'm suffering from extreme allergies accredited to this weird weather, so on top of feeling like dog poo I have a screamer in the crate. Just be patient they are stubborn and they will fight you tooth and nail to get thier way. Mine loves to whine at night and I just ignore him:) My boyfriend and I change off who takes Apollo out. We usually just sleep through his tantrum crying. You can do it though. Does her crate have that den feel?We divided Apollo's, put a nice comforter on top, and nice soft fleece blankies inside for warmth along with a unstuffed stuffy. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts