Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Somethings Wrong

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  MrDesi 
#1 ·
With Bruno's sister :(

My sister just called here crying. Her baby doberman (same age as Bruno). Has stopped eating/drinking and is losing major weight. She said she was laying with her yesterday on the couch and she felt her twitch. Then when she tried to lift her head to look into her face. She just flopped. She thought she had lost her girl. So she paniced and called her husband to come look. They took her to the emergancy vet and they looked at her and had her on an iv. But told her that she needs more work. Surgery and some xrays etc etc. That emergancy vet visit cost her 700$ and the vet closed at 8am. So they told her to leave and take her dog to another vet. She's just freaking out :(

I feel so bad for her. But I gave her that Doberman 911 site and told her to put her story on there. Maybe she will get some help. But I don't know what would cause this?? Anyone know? I mean I know we're not vets here. But has anyone ever experienced something like this before?

Her girl is WAY smaller then Bruno. Bruno was the smallest in the litter and now he's one of the biggest. So imagine what Bruno looks like, but 20x smaller. Her ribs are even showing :( She's sick and they dont' know why.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just talked to my sister :(

She talked to another vet and they don't think Nessa will make it through surgery. She's not eating, drinking or going to the washroom. She's down to 40lbs :( So my sister said all they can suggest for her to do is to put Nessa down :( :(

I'm crying and it's not even my dog. But she's so sweet, just like Bruno. She's adorable and so lovable. I'm trying to convince my sister when she calls back to see someone else. To find someone that will help her. Because I don't want her to put her down.

This is the part I hate about owning animals. I get so attached. I just can't deal with this part.

#3 ·
oh my gosh :( how long ago did she stop eating and drinking? I don't know what it could be...
someone I worked with had a dog that was hypoglycemic...where your blood sugar is too low. She would be playing with him in the back yard...and all of sudden her puppy drops to the ground...but was fine after making him eat something...
since he or she is not eating or drinking or peeing....do you think maybe she is dehydrated? I don't know just some ideas....I'm so sorry how hard this must be on everyone. Let us know any furthur news...

#4 ·
I was just at her place on Saturday and she didn't mention anything about Nessa not eating. So I'm guessing it has only been a day or two that she hasn't really eaten much.

She most likely is dehydrated. They had her on an iv all nite and still no change. I mean, I don't know full details so I can't give them. I only know what my sister has told me. :(

I'm waiting for her to call back. I just hope that they can figure something out without having to do this. It just breaks my heart. She did mention the vet she talked too. Had said she was so weak that she might not make it through the surgery (same thing happened to my Oscar :( )

#6 ·
I agree, they do not just do surgery without cause. It sounds like she might have an obstruction, which would be cause for surgery. Otherwise she could be in juvenile renal failure. In this case she would have been born with a congenital defect that caused her kidneys to fail early. Or it could also be a PDA???

For sure the answers are not going to come from a forum though, we only have bits and pieces of the situation and nobody can relate their experiences safely without knowing the full history, blood work results, and the vet's initial diagnosis.

I am terribly sorry to hear this, such a shame :( I am sure everyone here will be generous in their support through this tough time. To lose a Dobie at only 9 months of age is tragic to say the least. Your poor sister must be devastated :(

Please keep us updated.

#7 ·
micdobe said:
If they want to do surgery, they must have some idea what they want to do surgery *for*. So what did they tell your sister is wrong with her?
Well like I said, she didn't tell me everything the vet said. Just bits and pieces. So I don't fully know what is wrong with her. She was crying and I couldn't really understand everything she said. I just know Nessa was put on an IV and they took x-rays. That's all I know. My sister did tell me that the vet that saw Nessa said she needed to take the x-rays and forms to another vet and they will suggest surgery, or something. Again she was crying too much for me to fully understand.

I'm trying my hardest to figure out what she can do. Because I'd hate to see her lose Nessa :( She's calling around and talking to different vets. But the one she talked to and that was willing to help. Is not taking animals until 5pm or something. Agian she was crying and I really couldn't understand her. But she's a wreck and I know this is breaking her heart. She jsut doesn't want her poor baby to be in this much pain and not know what to do :(

#9 ·
I dont think Luv My Bruno is asking anyone to do anything... The only thing that was asked if anyone had a similar situation.

Luv My Bruno i am so sorry. I cant imagine what your sister is going through, i pray she finds someone to help her in time!! Nessa is in my thoughts! Please keep us posted.

#10 ·
That's the thing, how can anyone know if they had a similar situation when they can't tell what the situation is, just that the dog is sick? Obviously vets are available for surgery, cost has been mentioned and I don't know if that's a factor or not. I don't see how a dog could get so skinny its ribs showed in only a couple of days, so something must have been going on before that.

A similar situation could be anything given the lack of details, and similar symptoms might not mean the same illness at all.

#11 ·
I'm so sorry for what your sister is going through - I pray that her dobergirl makes a full recovery. I'll be honest, I can't believe that a vet saw her, realized her dire straights and basically said "we're closing, can't help you, go somewhere else..." that's just awful!~ But then again, maybe he referred her to another office more capable of dealing with the problem?
Keep us updated - and let her know that we're all rooting for the kiddo.

#12 ·
TracyJo said:
I'll be honest, I can't believe that a vet saw her, realized her dire straights and basically said "we're closing, can't help you, go somewhere else..." that's just awful!
Thats not unusual for Emergency Only clinics that are only open at night. They'll stabilize the animal, but you have to transport the dog to another vet for further treatment (if needed) during daylight hours.

Along the same lines, some clinics dont keep animals at night..if the animal is sick enough to require constant supervision and care at night, they have you transport the dog to one of the ER night clinics.

#13 ·
Murreydobe said:
Thats not unusual for Emergency Only clinics that are only open at night. They'll stabilize the animal, but you have to transport the dog to another vet for further treatment (if needed) during daylight hours.

Along the same lines, some clinics dont keep animals at night..if the animal is sick enough to require constant supervision and care at night, they have you transport the dog to one of the ER night clinics.
That makes perfect sense - and I later realized that was probably the case. When I first read it, I just invisioned her sister carrying a poor, nearly lifeless dog into the clinic and the Doc saying something along the lines of "would love to help but can't miss my tee time" or something like that...

#14 · (Edited)
Deacon's-MoM said:
I dont think Luv My Bruno is asking anyone to do anything... The only thing that was asked if anyone had a similar situation.

Luv My Bruno i am so sorry. I cant imagine what your sister is going through, i pray she finds someone to help her in time!! Nessa is in my thoughts! Please keep us posted.

Well, exactly. I wasn't asking anyone to do anything about it. I just wanted to tell someone. Since no one I know enjoys the breed and wouldn't understand what the feeling knowing one is about to see the last days. That's all, I didn't want anyone to do anything. I also just wondered if someone had a sudden weight loss in a dog that went just limp.

I also think this has been longer then 2 days. I said 2 days earlier. But I think it was longer.

The vet didn't really kick her out. More or less just said they were closing, take the x-rays etc to another vet. The vet my sister contacting wasn't seeing animals until 5pm. I think she said.

She tried giving Nessa water with a straw. Apparently she drank half a cup that way and didn't vomit. That is good news.

I really just want prayers for my sister and Nessa.

#17 ·
LapDog said:
and she wont eat nothing? not even real soft canned food?
No, she's not eating anything :(

Thanks Murreydobe, that actually makes sense (they tell you to do that to your child when he's dehydrated ;) ). I will pass that on to her. So far I haven't heard back from my sister, so that's gotta be a good thing. I hope.

Prayers are still being sent for lil Nessa tho. She's an angel and I'd hate to see something happen to her.

#18 ·
Oh My I feel so sorry for your Sister. I know how I felt when Raven was throwing up all the time and losing weight like crazy! Have you hear anything. I am wondering if the poor dog got into something that is blocking something in her. My prayers are with her!!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
I know cats arent dogs but when my cat got sick and she wouldnt eat or anything the vet recommanded to get wet food and mix in so much water to make it really soupy and give it to her that way till morning when they would get her in. It turned out that she had an allergic reaction to something she got ahold of and her stomach swelled up. They gave her some pills and a couple of shots and 2 days later she was eating on her own.

I dont know if this helps but its all i can suggest

#21 ·
My sister called today.

Nessa was drinking water on her own last nite. Not alot mind you. But she was still drinking and she was able to pee as well. She's also been walking around :) So that's good. Now my sister just needs to get food into her belly. But she doesn't want to introduce it too fast. She mentioned something about finding something she can make her that isn't too high in fat that can be mushed up. Something like baby food. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm just glad to hear she's feeling a lil better. Progress is progress :) But she needs solids in her belly. So that's the goal now.

#22 · (Edited)
I for one just can't wait to hear what exactly the problem is or was all along. Hopefully she is out of the woods now. She will still take her to the vet I hope even though she seems to be recovering right? Why on earth does she wait for a vet that opens at 5pm, plenty of vets open by 8-9 in the morning that she can see much sooner. If this is indeed a life threatening issue, I wouldn't want to wait two minutes.

#23 ·
my vet has warned me about giving much baby food to a dog because a lot of it contains onion powder, which is dangerous to dogs, it can cause hemolytic anemia, which is a very life threatening disease. So if anyone feeds baby food to their dogs they should read the ingredients label first and make sure it doesn't contain onions or onion powder.

#26 ·
When ever we have an animal act the least bit of we put them on nutrical. We get ours from the vet but I think places like petsmart sell it. I know with my cat even when she wouldn't eat I could smear some in her mouth and she'd have to get it down and it gave her enough to get through to when she would eat again(and we still don't know whats wrong with the stupid cat!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.