Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do with your Dobes in an emergency? I was faced with this last Friday. I had boarded the girls once last year and decided not to do it again. So I didn't update their Kennel Cough shots. My husband comes home to tell me my brother-in-law died (only 48). My Mom is on vacation in Oregon, so she couldn't watch he girls. I live in Va and we had to travel to Indiana. I have no one else to watch them. Because they didn't have the kennel cough shots I couldn't board them. I called my Vet, they don't board normally, only geriatrics. Well I asked them and they said yes they would take them. The girls came back no worse for the wear too, the gals at the Vet didn't want them to leave !!!!

But I didn't have a plan and I wish I had... just food for thought.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
That is a good question PWM,lucky you,you have a great vet!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
It IS an excellent question and one I've struggled with. Lucky for me I have a great neighbor with 2 dobie girls, one of whom is actually Oscar's big sister. The dobie girls' family would definitely step up to take Oscar in an emergency, as I would her girls. It takes a special person to take in a dobie and an even more special person to give him back.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's another thing, no one I know other than my family has had Dobes so asking a friend who is terrified of them (why I don't know, they're babies) is asking alot. I am Thankful I have a wonderful Vet!!! Who I have known since I was 13 and has always taken care of our Dobes!!!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww well I would have watched your dobes peeweesmama! :) I offered to watch Mariposa's dobe...when she was coming to chicago...which Im in the suburbs around chicago...but she was flying...so he wasnt coming with :( lol.
When we go places we usually have a family friend that has been with us for my whole life stay at our house.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus always stays with my parents, they have her mom, and I take her every time I visit, so she is well aquianted with their household and animals.

My other two stay at the farm I used to board my horse at, they have a kennel, and have always been able to make room for the two kids.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Mine usually stay with someone in my family. If they are not available, then my vet will board them. But someone in my family usually steps forward to watch them. I am very fortunate.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am fortunate too, my daughter lives 5 minutes away and when I have had to leave she will come stay at my house and dog sit. I have only had to have her over once while I went away for the weekend, so far no emergencies but I know that I can depend on her and her hubby if needed! Other than that if absolutely needed there is a kennel about 10 minutes from home that has a very dear lady that is great with dogs that boarded a boxer I had a few years back, so I think I am covered.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
We have 5 different relatives and the breeder of our male to count on if an emergency came up. Each one has dogs of their own and love our Dobes very much. We are very lucky.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When we went Mexcio this spring Allie stayed a week with the vet and a week with my parents. They have a 100 arce farm. Allie loves to go to grandma's. Still today when they come over Allie is so happy to see them.
My vet is great, all the girls there think is she great. Thank goodness for good vet's and helpful parents. :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I too decided not to board them anymore after a bad experience over a year ago. I just started titering so most kennels won't board if you don't have shots up to date but some will accept titers.

I don't have anyone to watch them except one friend but she can't stay overnight and that is a plus for me. We bought a motor home for traveling last year but that still does not address the emergency issue. My mother lives in Boston so if anything happened to her hubby would just have to grin and bear it bachelor style at home. It is hard to find someone who can handle or is not scared of 3 Dobermans.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last year I thought I had found a wonderful boarding facility, I showed up unexpected and asked for a tour. It seemed great, I liked the people who owened they seemed liked minded etc. Then when I got the girls home after thier stay Grace had poo all over her, her crate was filthy (I requested they have thier crates in their suite). So that's when I decided I just wouldn't go anywhere. My Father always watched my dogs, but he passed almost 3yrs ago. Grace still perks, and tilts her head and goes crazy when I ask her about "PawPaw" LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts