Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting by the pool relaxing. Eli was trying to get me to throw the ball "again". All of a sudden out of nowhere it came. It flew with determination and speed. A huge black bumble bee. I overreact of course, I figure it is a natural response on my part to scream, fall over my feet and whip my head about as the evil fuzzy bee tries to follow my movements. I knock over my chair and start to stumble about and then ta da there he is, my boy, my brave heart. He goes for the giant bee, he is roaring the way only a doberman can roar at a foe. He jumps in front of me and charges the bee. The bee dances out of his way, he leaps, the bee dodges. I make it to the slider door and watch Eli and the bee do a strange ballet. My husband comes running out, "what's going on!" and he stares at Eli who has every hair in a line straight up on his head to his butt charging around the spa in full fury. My husband stares harder and then says, "it's a bee? He is going after a bee like that?" I have recover my composure, yes it's a bee, "Eli, Eli, come ere buddy, that's enough, you will get stung!". Husband shakes his head and goes back inside. The bee has flown away to places unknown and Eli is happy. He comes to me ears back in da happy manner, tail wagging. I chased him away mom, are you okay. :) My hero. I love my dog.

So, since then Eli has decided bees are evil and whenever one of those giant black fuzzy monsters takes flight around the yard Eli is after them. I try to call him off but sometimes I'm not there, he is out and I'm in or something, he has a dog door and often spends some time outside fetching by himself in the pool, I know he is crazy but he throws the ball over the side and jumps in to retrieve it. I know at some point he will catch the evil bee and get bitten so I'm a tad worried about it but not sure how to fix it. *sigh* Eli my protector, my hero. Luckily we don't have very many of the super charged enormous bees, the honey bees he doesn't care about.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks. Interesting my husband was just finishing a project. I have no desire to to use pesticides, like I said there aren't many. My neighbor on the other side of my acre just put up a wooden fence wonder if they came from that? Our house is stucco. I'm glad Eli won't get stung if he catches one. We also have fire wood at the end of the property...I wonder?

Sounds like Carpenter Bees. The males are the ones usually hovering about. They have no stinger and are harmless.
for least-toxic Control of Carpenter Bees here is a PDF:
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/alternatives/factsheets/CARPENTER%20BEE%20CONTROL.pdf
I don't like to use of pesticides around the house, but thats me.
They like soft wood, paint any exposed wood and they might move on.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,256 Posts
From the DPCA website:

"The Doberman Pinscher is known best, perhaps, for its guarding qualities. But the dog of yesterday’s scary movies has been transformed...into a fun-loving, exceptional athlete and a watchful, protective, and above all, discerning companion who has no trouble accurately distinguishing between friend and foe. The key word is discerning.

Among the top smartest canine breeds in the world, the Doberman Pinscher is breathtakingly perceptive, intuitive, and sensitive. Properly trained and socialized, your Doberman won’t just place itself between you and a visible threat. As owner after owner can attest, your Doberman will anticipate that threat to you and your child, sometimes in uncanny ways."

They hit the nail on the head!! LOL

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey he knew this was my "foe". hahahaha.

From the DPCA website:

"The Doberman Pinscher is known best, perhaps, for its guarding qualities. But the dog of yesterday’s scary movies has been transformed...into a fun-loving, exceptional athlete and a watchful, protective, and above all, discerning companion who has no trouble accurately distinguishing between friend and foe. The key word is discerning.

Among the top smartest canine breeds in the world, the Doberman Pinscher is breathtakingly perceptive, intuitive, and sensitive. Properly trained and socialized, your Doberman won’t just place itself between you and a visible threat. As owner after owner can attest, your Doberman will anticipate that threat to you and your child, sometimes in uncanny ways."

They hit the nail on the head!! LOL

·
Registered
705 Posts
Amazing the two of you came out alive! LOL Good boy!

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. This is a picture from the day Fiona tried to eat evil things with stingers...

It may have even been a hornet or wasp since she received multiple stings. And it hasn't deterred her one bit. I actually think it just encouraged her hatred for small things that buzz about with stingers because she still tries to attack them with full force.

ETA...Had to add this picture too. Doesn't look so severe from this angle but look how swollen the left side of her face was! Her left eye swelled almost completely shut. Crazy dogs. :)

Oh, also, Fiona was not being a good girl trying to save me from anything. She was about 50' away from me entertaining herself with shenanigans. *sigh* So there's nothing to redeem her efforts. She's just nuts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Gah! That looks painful!! I used to have a huskey/gsd mix that ate bees. Luckily Chevy only eats butterflies. LOL

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
Brave Eli! That's a relief if those big black fuzzy ones are not dangerous, just hope he doesn't start chasing the stinging ones. Don't want him to end up looking like Fiona with her scary swollen face.

My girl goes after flying bugs too, just haven't seen her in action with anything scary yet.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what to tell you. This is a picture from the day Fiona tried to eat evil things with stingers...

It may have even been a hornet or wasp since she received multiple stings. And it hasn't deterred her one bit. I actually think it just encouraged her hatred for small things that buzz about with stingers because she still tries to attack them with full force.

ETA...Had to add this picture too. Doesn't look so severe from this angle but look how swollen the left side of her face was! Her left eye swelled almost completely shut. Crazy dogs. :)

Oh, also, Fiona was not being a good girl trying to save me from anything. She was about 50' away from me entertaining herself with shenanigans. *sigh* So there's nothing to redeem her efforts. She's just nuts.
Oh poor baby girl!!!!and she still chases them!

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
Yes, I gave Fiona Benadryl and applied ice to her stings. I'm not sure if the ice actually helped but it seemed to at least give her some sort of relief because she acted like she appreciated it.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Love it! Good job Eli! :D

Delta eats bees. I have no idea how she's managed not to get stung.

Ow, br, that looks terribly painful! Poor Fi!

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
775 Posts
Haha, that is too funny! Good boy for protecting his momma!

Torque, luckily, leaves bees alone for the most part, but living/working on a horse farm we have plenty of flies and he tries to catch those. He will "stalk" them if they have landed on the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts