Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going about my business at work ( Emergency Vet Hospital) and I go into my next appointment room and I see a older man and a older looking dobe, I smile and look at the folder in the door and the fist thing I see is the receptionist put "Don't loose your top Casie!" On a sticky on top of the intake form.... Okay weird. I continue to read and ask the guy to tell me why he's in today. Then I see " Client tried to neuter his own dog." WHAT WHAT WHAT?!?!?!?! So I immediately start to see red. I take a couple breaths and ask what happened. He proceeds to tell me he docked his 7 year old dobe using the tail banding method so he "was absolutely sure it could be done to his nuts"I had to leave the room I was so mad. So I go get Dr. Zheng and he is applaud. Anyways we take the dog back and sedate him to take a better look... The God damned elastic is embedded so we go into surgery & its all infected and rotting YUCK! so later that day the owner comes back to pick up his dog and REFUSES to pay the 458.00 bill because we advertise that neuters cost 312.00. So now this dog is sitting in our boarding kennels waiting for animal control because the guy called them and surrendered the dog, who will probably be put down because he is a fear bitter..... Somedays I hate my job & people :(

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Can you get in touch with a Dobermann rescue for him?
And I use the banding method on 8 week old goats but SEVEN YEAR OLD DOGS??? wow.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
jeezus murphy.

that is just horrible.

I hope the poor dog will be OK and that someone will give him the forever home he deserves.

Hugz to that poor Dobe.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Absolutely not defending them, but is your clinic in a more rural area?

Like sinister said, I have seen this method used in livestock but never in a dog. :mad:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's what I don't understand; these dog's have such an amazing nature and demeanor why would anybody want to deprive them of only the best care they warrant. I mean it seems like the least we can do for them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow. A dog isn't some sort of DIY project. Might there be a hope that his fear biting is associated with having his boys mangled in that manner? I would imagine that could put a dog in quite a state if he was constantly in pain.

Ugh, people like this guy are why I truly like my dogs more than most people :/

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I don't know how you stopped yourself, I think I would have knocked the moron the hell out and put an elastic band around his cojones and see how he liked it especially when I had taken his fingers and put them through a meat grinder.

I do hope a rescue can take him in and find him a good home.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
omg that poor sweet dog, I really hope AC see's the situation they way it is. Put a rubber band around anyones balls and they would all be aggressive.

Reactions: GRAYGHOST

·
Registered
771 Posts
What an idiot.. Why would you even think that it would be okay to this?

Hopefully someone can find him a home.
And I agree about calling someone, that is definitely cruelty.

·
Registered
716 Posts
What an ignorant moron...
Please tell us you reported this guy for animal abuse...
What's going to happen to the old boy (doberman)?

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
What an idiot.. Why would you even think that it would be okay to this?

Hopefully someone can find him a home.
And I agree about calling someone, that is definitely cruelty.
I'm not defending the guy, but as previously mentioned, banding is a method used in the castration of livestock. It is absolutely not appropriate for dogs, but it's plausible that the owner assumed that it was.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
*sigh* This is what happens when uneducated people decide to take short cuts to save money. The animal loses every time. I can't even imagine the pain that poor dog has been in. Praying a rescue can step in and give him the life he deserves.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are based in town & Yeah I have used this method on livestock too, But using a HAIR TIE (Like literally a hair tie you get from walmart) on a ADULT dog is very wrong!

The problem with Manitoba is our rescue is very unreliable it was like pulling teeth to get them to help me with the puppies (6 emails and 12 voice mails. So I reached out to another) & unfortunately the animal shelter is the ones who deal with animal cruelty here not the police so all we can do is report him ( which he surrendered the dog we didn't) so they are aware of the problem :( .

We were willing to re-home the dog on our own, which is what we generally so when owners can't pay but that requires him to sign off on a contract which he denied because " vets are money grabbing son's of b****es"

I swear somedays I leave work crying because I cannot deal with humans. I've almost changes careers twice, most people don't know the stupid **** I see daily like yesterday a woman brought in her dog that got stabbed..... LAST WEEK! like f***, Sometimes were fighting a loosing battle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got a call from the pound the dog is being picked up by his daughter who is paying the adoption fee...and apparently will be living with her...RIGHT I believe that one

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I dislike morons like that a million times over. Maybe your clinic should take the standard neuter fee so you don't loose out totally. I mean the dog is going back to the same family any way so looks like they will get a neutered male for what maybe a $75 adoption fee. Or, does animal control pay your clinic to spay and neuter.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Everything else aside, he has a point about the cost. I always have to sign some form of agreement at my vet for surgery, and in turn they give me an estimate.

I am not condoning his attitude or the sneaky way he ducked the cost - I would never have thought of doing that!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Everything else aside, he has a point about the cost. I always have to sign some form of agreement at my vet for surgery, and in turn they give me an estimate.

I am not condoning his attitude or the sneaky way he ducked the cost - I would never have thought of doing that!!
I don't personally see anything "right about the cost of neutering" here. The advertised cost of a neuter is not for an infected dog with an elastic around his testicles. That is now into treatment and repair and more surgery than would be part of the neutering quote.
I really don't see that being applicable in any way.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wow. That is horrible...and to think that dog is probably back in that home again is so sad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts