Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had Ranger for long at all and he is my first dobe but it astounds me how quickly he's learning and how obvious his thinking is when he's faced with a new situation and has to overcome it. I will forever own at least one doberman. I'm hooked :D any others addicted to dobes?

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
Around 1972 the "Doberman gang" movie sold me on the breed, as a farm boy in HS.
Later moved to the city to attend College, and vowed my only dog in life would be a dobe.
Got married in 1977, wife and I had a puppy/baby a week later...second one in the year 2000...and third late last year.

LOVED:
- their regal look
- almost humanly smart
- family loyal
- short hair equals low maintenance
- medium size, takes up less room in bed
- protector of family

Hard not to be Doberman addicted:
- they become our shadow
- they follow you to the bathroom, can't stand to be alone for long
- we share our bed and leather couch, with our dobe
- in the house only a 1/2 a room away at most, usually beside your feet or on the couch beside you
- outside off-leash, they remain close by, always keeping an eye on your whereabouts
- they whine and cry, if they don't get to go for a truck ride
- they love everything human, even last bite of our food
- when dad bbq's...I feel quilty if I don't put on a hotdog or beef patty for the dog
Dobes - Yes they grow on us & we grow on them !!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I knew I wanted a Dobie 25 years ago and it took me all that time to finally get one. I have had Cali now almost 10 months and I have fallen head over heals for her. Not only has my family adopted her and taken her in, but she has taken us into her her life as well and shows it everyday by showering us with kisses and love & affection. I will never again get a different dog, I am totally sold on this awesome breed.

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
I knew I wanted a Dobie 25 years ago and it took me all that time to finally get one. I have had Cali now almost 10 months and I have fallen head over heals for her. Not only has my family adopted her and taken her in, but she has taken us into her her life as well and shows it everyday by showering us with kisses and love & affection. I will never again get a different dog, I am totally sold on this awesome breed.
^^^^ ++1 & well said bigd...speaking from your heart, built up from Doberman real-life experiences.
- now please hear this...I want you to post your favorite photo of Cali here, showcase the dober girl that stole or owns your loving heart now

Your Cali girl has learned to work it (big time...that is what this breed is best at / building a human connection...they take seriously)...the hand that feeds them is so basic, add much affection & your dog (Doberman) just turns into a family equal...sometimes, they are indeed smarter than us...:nicejob:
Us humans...with 12 years of normal school, & college or university (sometimes extra)...like we work towards.
- Dobermans do become: our "best buddy's" rather quickly...it becomes a priceless bond, that only similar minded people, can fully relate to.

I will start with a photo on this thread - what's not to love (??) and a picture is worth a 1000 words:
We always give our son Andrew, 1st honors to hold the family dober puppy.
- he said he will remember this family trip, for the rest of his adult life

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am also totally in love with this breed. I first encountered a doberman when I worked for a veterinarian as a young teen. I was in charge of cleaning kennels, walking dogs, etc.
There were so many dogs there that I just loved, but my favorites were a great dane and a doberman (owned by the same family.)

Fourteen years later I got my dobermutt, Bruno, by pure chance and then had the brilliant idea to get a purebred doberman. I was in WAY over my head! But with the help of DT, trainers, and a behaviorist, we are on the road to success! Turns out that playing with a doberman for a couple hours every three months as a teenager does NOT give you a good idea what its like to own one! Even with all my experience with other breeds, I was not prepared for the handful that is my Bugs.

Still, I'll always have a doberman. They are the most wonderful,, challenging, amazing dogs. I would also like to one day have a border collie, but that's many many years in the future.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,288 Posts
I grew up with GSDs and sort of fell head over heels for the black&tan German guardian breeds. I never really liked the rottie look as I prefer a pointier muzzle and a sleek yet muscular body... so in my local library I read our AKC breed book several times before deciding that the Doberman was the way I wanted to go. Athletic, loyal, intelligent- and best of all they fit my "look" preferences and were black&tan! I swore I would have an oversized 35in 150lb male before I died.

And then I got smacked with a lot of education and research in early high school and realized that was probably not the best idea. :roflmao: Ironically I did rescue an oversized male in December, though the situation ended poorly it got me hooked on the breed. I'll always have a love for GSDs though.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
I would suggest that you stick to one thread right now, so that we can keep track of who you are and all your questions, otherwise you will get people giving you the same answers multiple times!
So, you have a 6 week old boy and another male dog in the house, so you'll want to do some research on same-sex aggression.
You also want to find a good cropper, because you don't like natural ears and you certainly don't want a lousy crop.
And you need some help with posting methods. This is the best site, and there are tutorials available.
Stick around and keep sharing pictures. Just add them to the same thread, instead of starting another one. ;)

Reactions: bigd and brw1982

·
joie de vivre
11,246 Posts
I grew up with Dobermans. It never occurred to me that I would have any other dog when I was an adult and ready for my own. I was with my ex at the time and his first choice breed is an American Staffordshire Terrier, so we did discuss that breed, but the dog was to be mine, so I had final say. I do love AmStaffs and I'm not opposed to owning one, but my first choice will always be the Doberman.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I met and fell in love with the breed when I was 14 when visiting grandparent one summer. The family next door had 3 Dobes all black. They were magnificent and so devoted to their owner. I vowed one day to have one. I got my first dobe when I bought my house 14.5 years ago. The first thing I did was install a 6' chain link fence in the back yard then got my first girl, Zandy, a blue, from a breeder in Pennsylvania. She was 9 months old and a mess and we fell in love with each other at first sight. Zandy died at 5.5 of cardiomyopathy and nearly destroyed me. Six months later I got Stella another blue from rnd Dobermans in Idaho and we loved each other for nearly 9 years til I had to put her down in February. Next January I will be getting a new baby girl black and tan this time. I love the blues but just too many health issues I can't go through with again.

I am hooked on this breed like no other. I have a Sharpei and a Chihuahua. Stella and Tommy the Chi were sweethearts so I know he will be glad to have another Dobergirl to call his own...Luna was raised with Stella and they were hilarious to watch and I know she misses playing with Stella in their romps in the yard. My house is still not the same without a Dober child to follow me everywhere and demand my attention...counting the months until I get my girl :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts