Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DT community!

I don't often post, but I am here and I still think I love my Dobe (Armani) more than my wife.

I had to blow off some steam....

During a walk with Armani, a guy raking leaves stopped us and complemented how handsome Armani was and how well mannered etc. He shared with me that he has a Fidelco shepherd puppy, and though he just bathed his dog, he would love for me to stop by sometime to introduce the two and let them play. Sure thing I said, we shook hands and I was on my way.

Over the course of the past few months, he would beep at me when he drove by, stop and talk telling me his address and remind me to come over his house, even stop when he saw me walking while he was driving his work shuttle!

Well, I never stopped by, I though it was kind of strange for me to randomly walk over to his house. This sounds like I am being a jerk, but if you met him you may understand why it kind of creeped me out.

Finally, walking through a local park. I see him sitting there with his GSD. I say might as well, and start walking towards him.
Guy:"finally bringing your dog to meet "The H"" (he calls his dog harper "The H").
ME: "ha, yup"
Guy: "well, I like to be careful and go slow",
Me: "Me too, definatly"
I slowly bring Armani to "The H" as the guy slowly lengthens his leash.
they both act similar, some smelling, wagging tales and baiting. Front down with butts in the air. A little jumping around and some barking.

Armani lets out a little growl. (I think out of frustration from being in a harness and not being able to run free with "The H") and I immediatly pull him towards me and have him sit by my side

Guy: "Ohh See" (downward inflection like tsk tsk) "that's fine your dog doesnt get along with other dog's that's ok"
Me: "they are both wagging thier tales trying to play with each other"(while Armani is sitting stoic by my side, and the guy's gsd is barking unrelentlessly and pulling so hard he is struggling)
Guy: "who, oh "The H" yes because he is friendly with other dogs"
Me: "So is Armani
Guy: " i dont want to risk it"
Me: "That is your right as a concerned dog owner, I am the same way." ( I honestly understood this because some dog's I am not comfortable with my dog around"

Here is where the guy get's to me.
Guy: "The H and I were just at a fidelco gathering and he was great with the other dogs."
Me: "Wow, that's awesome. Armani just visited a first grade classroom and the kid's love him."(This is true and I felt like i had to redeem Armani's credibility"
Guy: who did?
Me: My dog.

The conversation continues a little longer and he states something about his nieces doberman not beeing friendly to his dog.

His GSD was still completely going ballistic barking and pulling so I excused myself, "i dont want to cause you guy's anymore stress, have a great day". Politely he also wished me well.

Well, today, I pushed my afternoon walk back an hour, and hoping to avoid him went through the park again. I see him, wave, he wave's back.
Guy:"I brought The H to my nieces yesterday", "they have a rhodesian, and a doberman". "The rhodesian and The H played great, but the Doberman was acting vicious"
Me: "oh, well you know what they say" (He stares blankly) "blame the owner not the dog"
Guy: (stumbling with his words a little taken back) "No.....No, I think it is the breed."

From there, he just tried to make non dog small talk as I walk away. Looking back, I wanted to ask him to go look up what breed's created the Doberman, then get back to me.

Sorry for the long winded post. I guess my purpose was to blow off steam, (I actually feel much better writing about it) solicit feedback on how other Doberman families handle these types of owners, and ask if a little growling can be playful?

"The H" is a Male GSD approx 1.5 yrs, My pup is male 2 yrs. I have heard of the Male Dobe's not responding well to other male's etc, still looking for thoughts.

Thanks for reading,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I think your right, I often get a little worked up over things I really should not.

He is just an awesome little guy, and he has no idea that people have misconceptions about him.

Maybe I should be grateful, some breeds have it much worse.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
I know that Maui likes to "vocalize" when she plays. Seems like this guy has already made up his mind about dobermans. What a shame for him.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I wouldnt let it get to you. Ive received so much negative feed back with my dogs more so on the pit bulls then dobes but people are going to think what they wanna think you can prove them wrong or you can simply smile at how ignorant they are

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
The other guy (at the park), is not worth the time of day.

My girl will play growl sometimes, when having a fun play...and her nub, is wagging or she is looking & moving real excited.

Once a 150 lb male wanted to mount her from behind and once a poorly mannered boxer pup...didn't get the same treatment...serious growl, that meant business...hackles up...nipping with mouth...from my girl.
- I praised her for putting them, in their place
Other times, Amy can have a fun play...with nice dogs (of any size)...and get a little vocal...part of the normal game.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Holy cow, you should hear my boy playing with his Pit Bull girlfriend, it sounds like murder is being committed, snarls, snaps, growls, howls, yips, yaps all done whilst zooming around as if his nub was on fire and her tail caught in a rat trap.

I actually had one man warn my friend about my boy playing with her. He said she should be careful with my dog around her little dog. Confused she asked why, he then went on to tell her, 'well he is a Doberman, they are dangerous dogs, he might hurt the little one.' At which point he pointed to her girl (she had her male Shar Pei with her as well). This was when my friend showed her devilish side. 'Oh you mean my Pit Bull.'
Man went as white as a sheet and scurried off.

The guy in the park obviously has his mind set that Dobes are bad dogs and nothing you or anyone is going to change his way of thinking.

At every dog show I have been too with my friend and her Malinois the only dogs barking and creating such pandamonium as to make your ears bleed are GSD's. Now I know it is the owners fault, but hell in a basket, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap.
Grrrrrr!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts