Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice guys.

As you know Cass is 10.5 years and kora is 11 months. Cass has never been a doggy dog and has always been aggressive towards other dogs and humans outwith our family.

She also suffers severe seperation anxiety.

Anyway over the last week I am not sure what is going on with her. Saturday night she attacked Kora right infront on me for no reason. Kora has cuts to her ears but is otherwise fine.
I tried to seperate them and managed to however Cass then lunged forward to get her again and bit me. So 3 sutures to fix that:(

Today I was feeding the dogs as normal and Cass had finished and normally she just walks about waiting. Not today though she leapt onto Kora and round 2 began.

This time i grabbed a mop and stuck it between them and after what seemed an enternity got them serperated. In the processes I have another bite. Not bad, but a bite all the same.

So what would you do? 2 unprovoked attacks in less than a week. I am not scared of Cass but I am scared of what she would/could to Kora or if one of the boys got caught up in it.

The vet said everything seems ok with her.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Separate them. Get yourself some GOOD gates and rotate them. Not fair to either of them to have a relationship like that.

Sorry to be department of the obvious but I doubt I would have subjected an elderly dog to a puppy, especially one that has never liked other dogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Separate them. Get yourself some GOOD gates and rotate them. Not fair to either of them to have a relationship like that.

Sorry to be department of the obvious but I doubt I would have subjected an elderly dog to a puppy, especially one that has never liked other dogs.
we have had another 3 dogs. They have always got on. Its strange dogs she doesnt like.

We have had Kora since she was 8 weeks and not needed to seperate them, we also have a 2 year male and they have never been seperated.
There was also our other 10 year old girl who passed away last year.

So please dont speak to me like i am an idiot with no clue. i am asking because this is a new behaviour

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Vet said everything seems ok? Just a physical or full blood work up? At 10.5 with entirely new behavior I would STRONGLY suspect something hurts. Maybe as simple as arthritis. A dog in pain can have a serious personality shift. It's also gonna bring out the "I need to protect myself at all times" behavior. Even if you don't see any reason she should see the puppy as a threat doesn't mean she sees it that way.

Crate and rotate till you figure it out, and good luck.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
we have had another 3 dogs. They have always got on. Its strange dogs she doesnt like.

We have had Kora since she was 8 weeks and not needed to seperate them, we also have a 2 year male and they have never been seperated.
There was also our other 10 year old girl who passed away last year.

So please dont speak to me like i am an idiot with no clue. i am asking because this is a new behaviour
Ah forgive me for not digging thru your previous posts....I would still separate them tho. And next time, I'll dig thru previous posters' posts before commenting. Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Same sex aggression isn't uncommon in the breed, even in females. You may be seeing these changes in Cass' behavior because your younger girl is maturing. You will see similar things in households with more than one male, as the younger one matures.

I think you may be in a situation where you now have to "crate and rotate" and keep the girls separate at all times.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
Forgive me if I missed it, but has she had her thyroid checked in the past 3-6 months? Hormonal imbalances are something else which can throw behavior out of whack.

But like everyone says--crate and rotate for the time being at least, and hopefully you will find a problem easy to fix like achy joints or another medical problem. If not, I would say you may be facing the separate at all times procedure permanently.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Exactly what I was getting at Meadowcat.. I just was not sure if the two that were fighting were the same sex. If they are, I agree with what you say given the current age of the pup. Search the site for same sex aggression. It is more common in Male on Male, but some females have this issue as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts