Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What toy do you buy for your dog ?
I am giving her some time kong with food in.
Some time i give her femur bone.

I bought some solid toy like kong style but i cant put food in it and she dont really play a lot with it.
I dont want to give her kong all the time with food.

She like toy that it not solid but she destroy it after like 2 days.
Someone know a good toy that is not solid and that it solid and can stay for weeks ?

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
You could try the Tuffy's stuffed toys. They might last a few days with a Doberman, but be sure to supervise her with it.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
VIP/Ultimate has several lines of "tuffy stuffies" that stand up to more abuse than most.

There is a toy called the orka jack, i find puppies like it more than kongs because you can still stuff it and its highly! durable but feels to have more give when chewed on.

There are also edible and non edible nylabones in varying styles and sizes as well as chewing levels

:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
"Darwin" (Large) is a hit at our house. Koa is 20 months, has had it forever, and I've only bought two of them for a total investment of $8 :) He actually has Darwin in his mouth in my avatar!

Link: Darwin the Frog Dog Toy - Dog.com

Koa also likes split elk antlers (he's not as much of a fan of the whole ones) - they're a tad pricey but last a LONG time.

ETA: Also, if you freeze the food you put in the Kong (I usually do peanut butter, pb & banana, pumpkin or tripe) it lasts them longer. Bully sticks are good, too - last longer than Kong, but not as long as antler.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Prime got the Tuffy T-Rex for Christmas from a DT member and he still hasn't been able to destroy it. Prime destroys everything so this toy is definitely praise worthy.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Maybe an orange street hockey ball (little spongey & very durable).
Plus, I only buy pro. tennis balls (WallMart ones crack, in like 10 minutes).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
JW toys makes doberproof toys. The holy roller ball was a favorite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They're kind of expensive, but I think I'm going to try the goughnuts soon. I've got a little 30lb goat-dog who loves to destroy rubber...or anything really. She's chewed the eyes and toes off of her darwin frog, de-footed and de-horned a few cuz toys, tore pieces off of three hole-e-rollers, ripped a chunk off of the handle of a jolly ball almost as tall as she is, chewed a roller hockey ball to bits, shredded a kong flyer and de-contintented several orbees. The orbees have lasted the longest. She is just now starting to work on ripping chunks of the actual ball out.

I don't think any toy is actually dogproof, but from what I heard, the goughnuts come pretty close. They're also guaranteed. When your dog gets down to the red layer you can send it back to the company for a replacement.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Another for the Tuffy toys! They're kinda huge, but they're TOUGH. seriously. They were her go-to thing for chewing and teething those puppy teeth out, and aside from a couple blood stains, they still look new.

The xtreme/black Kongs are great too, as far as being near indestructible.

Her favorite toys by far are the interactive ones though:

Tug-a-Jug Product Description - Premier Pet

Magic Mushroom Product Description - Premier Pet

She hasn't been able to damage either, and she gets a meal a day out of one of them (we rotate 4 of them), they hold her attention really well, which is SO nice!

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
They're kind of expensive, but I think I'm going to try the goughnuts soon. I've got a little 30lb goat-dog who loves to destroy rubber...or anything really. She's chewed the eyes and toes off of her darwin frog, de-footed and de-horned a few cuz toys, tore pieces off of three hole-e-rollers, ripped a chunk off of the handle of a jolly ball almost as tall as she is, chewed a roller hockey ball to bits, shredded a kong flyer and de-contintented several orbees. The orbees have lasted the longest. She is just now starting to work on ripping chunks of the actual ball out.

I don't think any toy is actually dogproof, but from what I heard, the goughnuts come pretty close. They're also guaranteed. When your dog gets down to the red layer you can send it back to the company for a replacement.
I could not get Shanoa to chew on a Goughnut for anything. Hopefully your dog will like it!

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,649 Posts
I personally think dog toys in general are too expensive, but it is important to get durable ones for our DoberGoats. Spock's (and my) favorite durable toy is a 12" piece of 1" ID reinforced air hose. It is good for tug action, retrieval, reward for behavior and stuffing with tasty treats. If you flatten the hose you can shove in chicken or ham jerky pieces or salmon yummy chummies, etc. It will keep him occupied for 20-30 minutes trying to extract! ;)

The hose will fit in your back pocket for walks to the off leash area or dog parks and can be pulled out as a distraction when you encounter loose or bothersome dogs on your walks and as a reward tug.

I have several pieces cut and rotate them in use. My previous thread on these is here: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/60714-cheap-durable-dog-tug-toy.html (Ideal gotten from K9 handlers)

Here is a new hose I just put into service in Nov 2011:

Photo of same hose in April 2012 after 6-months of DobeGoat chewing

I throw the hose sections out when they get short for two reasons:
So Spock doesn't try to swallow the thing whole like a hot dog and to protect my fingers when we play tug! (his favorite). Cost is very low, less than $5 a section.

Another use I found for the hose is a lure at the dog park to get Spock over the obstacles and through the tunnels- he really goes for it! I never knew he had an agility bug in him. He'll do just about anything to get to the hose! :)

Here is shot of his first time jumping over the obstacles (going for the hose)!

Action shot clearing the tunnel...

"Daddy's Boy" Spock Tired Out after Jumping Action :)

(PS: Another good tongue shot for the Dober Tongue thread!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts