Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time cropping ears. Is your experience the same as mine. Ive been reading some post on here and some say switch out socks daily and i have been doing that. I went with the route of not putting ointment. Today there's a big scab that is stuck to the sock and when i try my best to pull the sock slowly off the scab rises with the sock. i know scabbing helps the recovery process. So what do you guys think i should do? leave it? so it can heal properly?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
socks? and yes please tell me that you didn't crop your pups ears yourself and that you just typed wrong and meant that its your first time posting.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
The OP had his puppy cropped by Dr. Jezbara (sp?) according to his post in the new member introduction. I've seen pictures of puppies with a sock over their ears after they were cropped, so I think that is what they are talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:roflmao: haha no i didn't do it myself! yea this is my first dobie and my first time experiencing ear cropping. i took him to Dr. Jezbera for ear cropping on monday. So its been 4 days now. Im new at this so bare with me :nice job:

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The OP had his puppy cropped by Dr. Jezbara (sp?) according to his post in the new member introduction. I've seen pictures of puppies with a sock over their ears after they were cropped, so I think that is what they are talking about.
Yes, I use sock bonnets on newly cropped puppies.

To the OP-I'd use some warm water to soften up the scab where it's stuck to the sock. I think maybe your sock is too tight for this to happen-are you using new socks? I always use well worn (but clean) socks that have been stretched out.

You should wind up with some nice ears, Dr. Jezbera does my cropping for me, he's an artist with ears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I use sock bonnets on newly cropped puppies.

To the OP-I'd use some warm water to soften up the scab where it's stuck to the sock. I think maybe your sock is too tight for this to happen-are you using new socks? I always use well worn (but clean) socks that have been stretched out.

You should wind up with some nice ears, Dr. Jezbera does my cropping for me, he's an artist with ears.

Thank you murrey. yea i will try to soften it up with warm water. The sock is pretty loose. I'm guessing when he scratched his ears when i wasn't looking it bleed a little and the scab attached to the sock. I don't have any long socks and i haven't been able to go to the store to get some. To tell you the truth i wash his sock everyday.. lol i know sounds ridiculous. Its the same sock that he came home with from the Dr. Every time i get it out of the dryer i try to stretch it as much as i can.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Thank you murrey. yea i will try to soften it up with warm water. The sock is pretty loose. I'm guessing when he scratched his ears when i wasn't looking it bleed a little and the scab attached to the sock. I don't have any long socks and i haven't been able to go to the store to get some. To tell you the truth i wash his sock everyday.. lol i know sounds ridiculous. Its the same sock that he came home with from the Dr. Every time i get it out of the dryer i try to stretch it as much as i can.
Necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Rather than buying new socks, I'd go to Goodwill or someplace like that and buy some used socks-of course, washing them in HOT water before putting them on the pup. New socks will be MUCH too tight.

My husband always loves it when I get puppies cropped-it means he gets a whole new sock wardrobe, since I take all his used ones to use for the pups. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Rather than buying new socks, I'd go to Goodwill or someplace like that and buy some used socks-of course, washing them in HOT water before putting them on the pup. New socks will be MUCH too tight.

My husband always loves it when I get puppies cropped-it means he gets a whole new sock wardrobe, since I take all his used ones to use for the pups. :)
Ok that is the first thing I'm going to do is go to Goodwill. I want the best for My Zuko.

Haha just send me some of his socks. :roflmao:

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
You can also use normal saline that is what they use in hospitals to loosen dressings on people. My nephew smashed his thumb on his job had pins put in his thumb his hand surgeon said to use peroxide to loosen the dressing when it was stuck on his hand. Good luck with the ears.

·
Registered
262 Posts
RustyRRL

I just got my girl's ears done two weeks ago by Dr.Jezbera. Her crop looks great, can't wait to see what time will bring :)

Her crop is also my first time working with, and so far so good. I used the sock bonet method too, and I as well raided my fiancé sock drawer ;) I tied it in double knot, but left it very shag/loose around her ears and at the top of the cone. Her ears did bleed a bit if a scab got open (from scratching/rubbing and playing) all I did was dab just a tiny little smudge of neosporin to keep it clean while it could dry up. Her ears healed up nice, and fast!

Keep an eye on the stitches too, Xena managed to get one broken :rolleyesww:

Reactions: RustyRRL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RustyRRL

I just got my girl's ears done two weeks ago by Dr.Jezbera. Her crop looks great, can't wait to see what time will bring :)

Her crop is also my first time working with, and so far so good. I used the sock bonet method too, and I as well raided my fiancé sock drawer ;) I tied it in double knot, but left it very shag/loose around her ears and at the top of the cone. Her ears did bleed a bit if a scab got open (from scratching/rubbing and playing) all I did was dab just a tiny little smudge of neosporin to keep it clean while it could dry up. Her ears healed up nice, and fast!

Keep an eye on the stitches too, Xena managed to get one broken :rolleyesww:
i know I'm really excited to see him all grown up with his ears sticking up.

I'm going to try neosporin, i took off the sock today. The sock came off pretty good. Except there is still some spots that look raw. Was Xena the same way on the 5th day?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i know I'm really excited to see him all grown up with his ears sticking up.

I'm going to try neosporin, i took off the sock today. The sock came off pretty good. Except there is still some spots that look raw. Was Xena the same way on the 5th day?
Yes, some spots did appear raw until a good week passed, but you'll find a bit of scabing and it could be good or a little loose. A little neosporin won't hurt, just don't want the crop to heal too fast and then the stitches will be tight and difficult to take out. Keep smelling his ears for anything foul/yeasty, thats sign of infection. Xenas ears smelled a bit musky/sour, which I think is normal due to the mixture of glue from the tape, casting bonding, and her own natural musk.

When I got her first posing done (10 days after the crop surgery) she still had some raw spots that needed more time to scab (this was in the very base area that is mostly rubbed/scratched). It didn't lengthen the cup method time and she was ready for posting. The tech there put gauze in the posting so those areas had breathing room to scab and heal.

I just got her second posting done today, and this time she put a tongue depressor in the foam cocking, and gauze to help stabilize the ears more (one ear would flop backwards). The tech that does most postings (from what she has told me) is great thus far. She has answered all of my questions and gave great advice on what to look for, what not to do and how to manage situations.

But if you're EVER in doubt, don't hesitate to call them for answers. They may just tell you to bring him in, but for some (like myself) riverside is a trip from North County San Diego.

Ps. If the cup happens to rub the top of his head a little raw (This happened to Xena) all I did was tape two edges of a 4x4" gauze and rigged it the edge of the cup that's causing irritation, and dabbed some neosporin on any sores to prevent infection. If you do this change it twice a day :) also I took her bonet off at nights to let them breathe, and when I work I gave her a benedryl to help her sleep easier and leave her ears be.

Blah blah blah, sorry for a lengthily reply, hope my experience helps!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts