Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that Dobermans need more socializing than other breeds?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
You cannot over socialize a dobe,these dogs have to behave even better than your local labrador because of their reputation down the years.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
No, I don't think you can. I know a lot of people have the attitude that they got the Dobe for a reason, to protect, if you socialize too much you'll negate their protective instinct. I think that's a load of crap though. I know I'm a pretty nice person most of the time, but I do have a breaking point, I don't think dogs are much different.

On a side note - I love your new signature pic Brumwolf! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
brumwolf said:
You cannot over socialize a dobe,these dogs have to behave even better than your local labrador because of their reputation down the years.

That is soooooo true!

I'm trying to find a dog training school for Jazzy to socialize more than just walking past people and dogs over the park.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I agree, I dont think you can oversocialize them. The more they are introduced to new people, places and things, the more confident they will become. In my mind, confidence in public, means... I dont have anything to worry about, and I can focus on what you want from me.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
hear, hear.
brum I really think you nailed it with the added pressure of the bad breed rap. Dobes have to be extra nice, because there are too many folks who think a dobe is trying to rip out their throats rather than just give a few thousand kisses.

cc

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I agree with the other posters. Socialization is essential in any breed and extremely important in a Doberman.
No, you cannot “over-“ socialize a Doberman puppy. Dobermans are protective by nature despite how much socialization they receive.
Some people wrongly think maybe they shouldn’t socialize their Doberman so that the Doberman will be more protective later on. But actually the opposite happens. Socializing helps the dog become confident in the world and in himself. They need all the positive & proper socialization they can get for as long as possible.
They need to experience the world they live in so they can adapt according in the right ways.
If a Doberman is not properly socialized the dog will become unsure, fearful, and less confident, not what any one needs or wants in a protection breed.

Socialization is a lot of fun, but it is definitely a big and important job. With Doberman puppies, I use the training club often and I take them at least one new place everyday while they are young and it is always more places to go on the weekends.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"he'll eat you for lunch" is what people ALWAYS say when they walk past me and Luke with their dogs, I totally agree that Dobies have to be extra good and be extra confident to deal with other peoples reactions towards them, where I live it's all about having an aggressive dog and Luke has gained so much respect around our nieghbour because he's so well behaved. Luke has reached the point where I can train him in public environments like parks and roads by my house to help build his confidents in every situation.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Socializing is not only essential, but it dang right fun....I probably will never stop socializing my girl since there are so many places to go and so many people to meet. Mrs Kratty is starting to complain that I take Nikita out more than I do her now....

Getting them out in public to experience as much as possible is the key. Getting use to walking in large crowds, hearing the blarring sirens of an ambulance racing by, sitting outside the local coffee shop meeting new people, going to get the oil changed (idea I got from D&D),walking by other dogs nicely, walking on new surfaces, this list will go on forever. And the most fun is training in public. Even if its just sitting there nicely while I talk to someone, its still training, its real life. My main goal is to be able to take my girl anywhere and I can do my thing, where I do not have to worry how my girl will react. I have found that when others see you training in public, they will stop and watch and even want to meet my girl because they do not see a vicious doberman, but a nice doberman....(Blame the deed, not the breed).

And when we find something that is distracting or scary to her, we can work on that and not make it an issue anymore. This really makes the dog more confident when out in public. I know I accomplish my goals when we stop for a break on a bench and my girl will lay down and take a nap on the sidewalk as people are walking by.

And BTW, its not expensive at all to do this, it just take time.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts