Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any socialization hotspots? Flea markets, fairs? Will your mall let you in with a dog? Where can I meet "odd" people in funny hats or uniforms?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Parks, sidewalks in your neighborhood, county fairs, pet stores, renaissance festivals (if you have one in your area), bark parks, outdoor parties, schools (that's allowed, right?)... oh and veterinary clinics too - never a bad idea.

There are probably lots more places - socialization in as many different places as possible, the better.

I'm looking forward to taking Red to the Michigan Renaissance Festival in September. Lots of people in costumes (including us!), and a fun day of eating, drinking, watching shows, people watching, and merrymaking. :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Okie can help with this one LOL.... your local fire station might be helpful :lala:
Haha!! Yes the local fire station is a GOOD spot...lol. They put on their fire suits, showed ******* and I the in's and out's of being a fireman....very interesting I must say!

Fairs, dog shows, kids sporting events, even just a local walk on a busy street will help. I also hung out in front of the mall.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
First Ill start off saying you don't want to set the dog up to fail or get scared. definately work within their comforts and keep distance if they need it. :)

parades
fairs
bikes races! (haha chaz)
downtown shopping (window shopping of course)
the park
local baseball/outdoor games
praire path or bike path
ask the nice policeman to say hello to your puppy :) and firemen etc
fireworks (careful cause the sound! Duchess didn't even look up when she was a pup)
petstore
near construction sites (not in any danger though ;))
car rides or sometimes just being in the car with them while in a parking lot is nice to get them comfortable with a stranger walking NEAR the car.
neighborhood garage sales (probably should know the people that are having it)
or have your own garage sale :)
shelter activities like walk-a-thons or other events to raise money
outdoor pet expos
playground equipment (cofident booster and learns some agility-like stuff)
Bank drive-thru
food drive-thru
SECURE fenced in tennis courts that are NOT in use :)
Ice cream places with out door seating
taking the puppy to get groomed at a place even though they might not need it
local outdoor concert

thats all i can think of for now...or atleast what I only can get away with lol
although my old chiropractor wanted to see Duchess when she was a puppy and it became a regular thing for duchess to go to the chiropractor with me!!! that was cool. but I don't go anymore. but that was great for her since she was kinda young :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
LapDog's right.

Anywhere you think you might see people is a good place to socialize your Pup.

Just make sure you pick places where Dogs are allowed.

We've been to a few bicycle races. They are good not only because they draw lots of people, but also for the chaos and commotion.

Any time I see kids tearing something up with their skateboards, I stop and introduce them to Mensa.

Lots of people will want to pet your Pup. I count on that to help keep her from being suspicious of strangers.

We just got back from "Market Night" in Palm Springs. Hundreds of people. All kinds of things happening, like bands playing and people dancing.

And we made sure to stop in a couple of "Dog Friendly" bars, too.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You rec`d a lot of good info. The only other one I could think of is this.

Stand outside a swim rec center. After kids come out from lessons or practice you have a lot of kids--all ages that want to pet the puppy.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Go everywhere....you can think of. Let them meet as many new people as you can. The more different places/people the better. Just work your way up to large crowds. You don't want puppy to be overwhelmed too quickly. People come out of the wood work to meet a puppy. Just bring alot of treats for folks to give puppy.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just emailed the mall near my house and they definitely allow dogs as long as they don't go in stores or the food court! Awesome! I'll probably end up going really early morning at first to prevent the puppy from being overwhelmed. Lots of odd people of all ages in the mall.

Should I be worried about people's reactions to a dobe around kids? Would I be dumb to sit near the kids play area? I'm thinking I may buy a therapy dog in training cape for him because the people near my neighborhood can be a little funny breed-wise.

The other suggestions are awesome! I'll definitely keep them in mind and scour the morning paper for things to do. I also need to get him used to men in military dress. Maybe dad will have some suggestions.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I take Sherman to all the pet stores in our area, as well as the local parks.

We found an off-leash dog park and that place is amazing. You have to find one. That's really the best thing going.

Also, I take Sherman off-leash to our little league/t-ball games so he can mess around with all the kids/adults/etc.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Should I be worried about people's reactions to a dobe around kids?
haha Now that Duchess is "big" lol I only let children pet her if their seems to be no hesitation by the parents. Sometimes parents can be like "I dont know...or Common lets go...and stand on the other side.
Since Duchess is an adult now and more "Scary" I say Dont bother with people like that...they are only going to look and bring out or possibly cause a more unpleasent experience...Duchess gets a little weary of people that hesitate to pet her....Kinda like "whats their problem?! why are they just staring at me like that?"
Take advantage of how everybody loves a puppy. When they are an adult you will still get people that will want to socialize with a doberman. but I think youd have better luck around the parents of kids if you get as much socializing with kids etc now. cause puppy is only going to get bigger :)

just make sure you work on common manners but still keeping it fun. like someone said give out treats for people to give to your puppy.

I was allowed to bring Duchess as a puppy to the house I babysit 2 girls. at the time they were probably 8 and 9 but even today when she see them! She piddles like she was 6 months old again!!! haha. she loves them so much!
and she especially loves that the kids she meets out and about are her her height and if they arent they squat down to be her height...makes kissing easier lol

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I've noticed a few parents are a little skeptical at first but they do warm up, especially when they realize who is walking the dog. The kids always walked Cleo, I just walked with them. Cleo had no idea people could be afraid of her. I try to say first off, she loves kids and wants to say hello.

Great suggestions that I can't wait to use. I also try to encourage people to break the rules once Jordan is comfortable with them and pet all over the head, body, behind, everywhere since I don't want him reacting to certain touches. Once he/she is socialized another great place is a nursing home. They don't have to be certified yet to go and it is a great place for getting used to machines and strange noises AND you can make some residents very happy at the same time. (Go yourself a few times first and meet a few people to get to know them and ask them if they would like your puppy to visit too.) Jordan already loves visiting my grandmother and we go to the park at the same time because it is right across the street.

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
Please don't underestimate the importance of socializing your pup..
take everyone's advice here.

I WISH I was a member of this forum when Nike was a pup.

We did not take her to nearly enough places and now she is fearful of joggers, people with funny hats, tall men, excited children, ... you get the point...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When we haven't had tickets for a Bengals game, I have been known to load up my dad's Denali (big life size tiger and all) with Rudi (only on warmer days, he doesn't have enough doggie Bengal gear to stay warm.) and my dad and tailgate just for the party. We get there about 7am and stay til about 1/2 before kick-off then drive to my house (15minutes from the stadium) and watch the game on the big screen. Rudi gets lot's of lovins there (albeit by a lot of "drunk by 9AMers)but it has a lot of crazy party people with crazy clothes/sirens, music, meat on the hundreds of grills. Rudi isn't in any of these pics......now that I have a digital camera.......watch out next season....This pic is my mom and dad and my tiger which is 4x bigger than Rudi. And my mom is having a good time.....don't know what is up with her expression. LOL

·
Registered
986 Posts
Riag, I just want to say you and your family are crazy! (HAHA, but in a good way!) True diehard fans that would sit out in that cold weather? Yikes and good for you! But Oscar would soooo be on top of that vehicle after that tiger and then the 9 AM drunks would be screaming and yellin' and the NFL players would come out and try to kick Oscar's a** and pull him off the tiger; then the cops would come because of the commotion and...hey, come to think of it, that IS a good way to meet people in uniforms and funny hats. LOL:)

PS...Love the pics!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts