Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than pet stores and dog parks, where are some good, dog friendly areas to take our little pup out to to explore the world?

We took Duke out to Home Depot yesterdady to pick out a handheld shower head for him, and he did so well. I know a few restaurants with outdoor seating are dog friendly, but just curious what other public areas would be great to bring our little one out to?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I used hardware stores, outdoor coffee shop or other outdoor food places. Outdoor malls are good also.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I went and stood outside my local grocery store, anyone that wanted to pet came up to him and I gave them treats to give him. This is when I taught him the off command as well, no jumping on people. I also took him to the mall, and local parks so that he was exposed to Miss of all ages. I had them ask their parents first if they could pet him because I know some parents are uncomfortable sometimes with their kids petting dogs in general.

My boss allowed me to bring him to work so he was exposed to all different types of people. I walked him on busy streets so he would Get Used to loud truck noises and such. I took him to a local lake so that he could Get Used to people riding bikes and roller blades past him.

I took him just about everywhere I could think of, I wanted him to be well socialized.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Plant nurseries generally welcome well-behaved dogs, yet are a place that dogs don't really frequent.

I'd sure keep my pup's feet off the ground at places like pet stores (and I just would not do dog parks) until my pup finished his vaccinations. Some books point out that you can hang out here and there with your puppy on a mat. I like that idea a great deal. There are some places here, usually outside retail businesses, where you can sit with your dog and basically watch anything and everything happen by; motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians of all ages, equipment used in stores, shopping carts, etc.

On a mat at a park, nearby the small childrens' play equipment is another place we spent considerable time. Teenagers/young adults could be seen playing various sports from the same vantage point. If no one was there, we'd play on the equipment with Gracie, who really likes slides.

There are benches where one can sit in the charming downtown areas of some communities here. We spent time doing that, and passersby would often stop and be willing to give a treat to Gracie.

We also did a lot of running errands where one person went in and the other stayed with the dog in the parking lot. Opportunities there included strange surfaces (like drain grates), walking under semi trailers if they were parked at docks, interacting with passersby, becoming numb to traffic noise regardless of the size and noise factor involved, standing outside automatic opening doors, and so on.

Oh, and there's a skateboard/scooter/bicycle park nearby our PO Box. Gracie was concerned about bicycles and skateboards when young, so we spent time just sitting outside that place until she no longer cared about the devices or their noise.

Truck stops and railroad crossings are another idea. Lots of interesting noises to learn are not of great significance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took Duke to Home Depot again yesterday. Spent half an hour saying, "potty" before going inside. As the nice man was helping me to find some backer rod for ear posting, Duke did the worst thing possible and embarrassed me. Fortunately no one made a big deal and was friendly about it, understanding the fact that he's only a puppy, and helped me clean up the mess. WHEW!

Thanks for all the suggestions and links! I guess I've never thought of taking him to certain non-puppy-friendly areas to just sit and watch.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
often you can take a pup into the bank, and just sitting outside Walmart is great too. Look for a puppy class, they need exposure to dogs and people.
keep up the good work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Newtown Park claims that they are "best dog park in the country." Going to take him this afternoon to walk around and watch only, since he's one vaccination short from being done with all his puppy shots.

Puppy training classes start this weekend too...SUPER EXCITED!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was going to suggest the bank also. I discovered that one when I had to pop in quick to use the atm and was going to leave Dakota tied to the handicap rail(I could still see her of course). The teller saw me tying her and invited me to bring her on in!

Open air farmer's markets are great - they've got crowds, other dogs, and lots of noises and smells. Bass Pro Shops are also dog friendly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best socialization I've found is doggy day care. I know it's expensive, but even one day a week makes a huge difference. They run and play with dogs of all breeds, sizes and ages. Doggy day care has totally eliminated the "land shark" problem of my 14 week-old pup who was constantly biting a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best socialization I've found is doggy day care. I know it's expensive, but even one day a week makes a huge difference. They run and play with dogs of all breeds, sizes and ages. Doggy day care has totally eliminated the "land shark" problem of my 14 week-old pup who was constantly biting a few weeks ago.
Haha...it's funny that you mentioned "land shark." I thought I was the only one using that term! :roflmao: I've been working from home this week, and Duke is constantly circling me looking to get into trouble.

After his last set of puppy shots, it's off to Doggy Day Care we go $22 for a full day.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Here's a list I put together of random ideas, it totally depends on your situation whether some would be possible though.

People
Children
Teens
Adults
Elderly
Handicapped (wheelchairs, canes, walkers)
Tall people
Short people
Men with beards
People wearing hats
People wearing masks
Different races
Men with deep voices
Women wearing long skirts

Places
Dog show sounds
Park
Beach
Woods/hiking
Sports events
Vets office
Farm/stables
Fair
Outdoor cafe
Superstore parking lot
Doggy day care
Obedience school
Pet store
Drive through
Dog park
Renaissance fair
Parade
Near construction
Drive-thrus
Groomer
Neighborhood garage sale
Outdoor mall
Races (5k's or bike races)

Things
Noisy appliances
Fireworks
TV and radio
Riding in a car, truck or bus
Emergency sirens
Bicycles
Skateboards
Elevators
Wheelchairs, canes, and walkers
Wind and rain
Rivers and creeks
Being on leash
Tunnels
Kiddy pools
Playground equipment
Chute/closed tunnel
Tire
Hose
Clothes
Gunfire

Surfaces
Long grass
Tile
Ice
Grate
Scale
Concrete
Rubber mats with tape
See-saw/Teeter
Sand
Water
Large rocks
Grooming table
A-frame
Anything slippery/wobbly

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Excellent list Abby! I remember Sam's puppy kindergarten instructor mentioned many of those items you have on your list. She stressed that while socializing your dog with other dogs is great, it's also very important to expose your dog to many different types of people.

Don't forget people with (eye) glasses :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
From 8 -12 weeks old, Amy and Dad went to city park often.
- see tame deer & captive birds and kids playing on equipment / talk to the parents, and let children pet the puppy
- walk the short wooded trail, exits onto a man made lake
- any stores I was allowed to enter in first month / Amy over my shoulder (can't pee then)
- many car & truck rides

Plus:
- when fireworks are on (like 4th of July)...go early, walk through the crowds (stop & talk to many people) and stay for the noise & light show
- go to main street festival (once or twice/year)
- outside car show / Saturday night cruise

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tons of good ideas above - I also liked to use kids little league games. There are tons of noises, kids, adults, dogs, etc.

I'm a huge fan of my doggie daycare, too!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Shadowolf & grnd delite had really great ideas. I had thought of those same things. I haven't done all of them yet, but I still plan to.:p

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I like to take Lexi on walks to the university. There's always people walking around and sometimes there is different groups of people outside doing some kind of music.

Other then that, I take her to a fenced in dog park which she absolutly loves, and thankfully the other people are very responsible with well behaved dogs.

I will take her to the pet store with me.

There is a nice path near me that runs through a field and along a river that people bike, jog, and walk their dogs on. To get there I have a short walk along a busy street so she is used to traffic noise. I will walk into the wooded area for a change of scenery.

I'm glad she is used to my guitar, she was very curious about that for a while!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts