Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm picking up Capone next week and I have to start making the appointment for the crop. I have read that there are 3 reputable vets in Southern CA, Dr. Zirrilli, Dr. Jezbera, and Dr. LaBounty. Im leaning more towards LaBounty and Jezbera, as Zirrilli is a little over my budget.

I would REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYYY appreciate if i could get some pics of your beautiful dogs that have had there ears done by Dr. Jezbera and Dr. LaBounty.

*I have seen some here and there but it would be really cool if i can have them all on one thread*

THANKS A TON GUYS!!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know that you've decided against Dr. Zirrilli but I can provide pix of his work just in case you change your mind. My boy was cropped by him and so was my friend's girl. They both turned out great.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
Elsa's ears were done by Labounty... and I don't like them. they have too much bell and are too big for her face.

also, he tends to be inconsistent. Jaguar's father was cropped by Labounty as well, and I really like his ears.

I just like consistent quality work, especially with something so important like cropping a dog's ears... it's a delicate surgery and needs an artist's hand.

I like the ears in the pictures Murreydobe just posted!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Fitz Im really bummed to hear that LaBounty is inconsistent. Capones sire has a beautiful crop that was done by LaBounty.

@murrey Jezbera really does a beautiful job. I think im too late to make an appointment :( , my pup might be too old when his appointment comes around. Im going to call today.

@Zues'smommy and SoCalGirl, Zarilli did a beautiful job!!! Wish i had the extra mula.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mercedes' were done by Zarrilli at 9 weeks. I get a lot of compliments but have had trouble getting them to stand properly. After 3 good months one started to fall again. She's now over a year and still taped up.

I didn't ask for show length. I wanted a "medium pet crop" but she ended up with very long ears - which I believe has prolonged the posting process.

At the start of posting I took her to Zarrilli weekly for tapings. I had nothing to compare it too until trying out Dr. Jezbera for a taping when I couldn't get to Irvine one day.

Zarilli uses a lot of tape and glue - which is very difficult to remove. They shove the cotton posts far down into the ear canal and tape over the entire ear. They charge $28 per taping and do it in the back room and leave you in the waiting area.

Dr Jezbera uses minimal tape and no glue. They leave the inner ear canal untouched by the backer rod and do not tape over it which allows the dog to actually hear. This method would seem less sturdy - but seems to hold as well if not better than Zarilli. They charge $15 per taping and allow you to supervise, will teach you how to tape, and even sell you the supplies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow mercedes is beautiful....i know the crop is VERY important but i just cant spend that kind of money right now. im calling jezbera at lunch to see when his next available appointment is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow mercedes is beautiful....i know the crop is VERY important but i just cant spend that kind of money right now. im calling jezbera at lunch to see when his next available appointment is.
Thank you :)

I think having Jezbera do the crop is a good idea. If he had had an opening when my girl was 9 weeks I would have gone to him. (My breeder really should have made appointments for the entire litter when they were born - something anyone getting a pup should ask about)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I think having Jezbera do the crop is a good idea. If he had had an opening when my girl was 9 weeks I would have gone to him. (My breeder really should have made appointments for the entire litter when they were born - something anyone getting a pup should ask about)
That's what I always did when I had an entire litter to crop-called to make the cropping appt. with Dr. J. the day the puppies were born.

However, I've gotten individual puppies cropped by Dr. J as well, and you normally can get an appt. for just one puppy within the right window of time without a lot of advance notice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input, u guys have been very helpful!!! I contacted Dr. J's office and they had available appointments in January. Ill be getting his ears cropped at 9-10 weeks. I feel so relieved!!! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. When i called, the gentleman told me they have 2 prices. Crop only and crop plus aftercare (postings and what not until the ears are completely standing on there own) Im still not sure whether to pay for the aftercare as well or pay just for the crop, take him in for a month or two and just do the rest on my own. The tutorials look very helpful and not too difficult.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Btw I wouldn't mind paying for the aftercare if Dr. J was a little closer to home. It's about a 40 min drive from home without traffic but then again, when isn't there traffic in L.A. lol

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Btw I wouldn't mind paying for the aftercare if Dr. J was a little closer to home. It's about a 40 min drive from home without traffic but then again, when isn't there traffic in L.A. lol
Even if you lived close to Dr J. (as I do), I found it becomes a big hassle to have to keep going there for ear posting. I'd probably get them to do the first few postings, then show me how and do it myself from that point on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing!!! Pay for just the crop, go in for about 4 postings and then take over myself. Thanks for the reassurance!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try Dr. Butchko. He is also in Riverside and does great ears. He is not much more than Jezebra. I chose him because he will do a few tapings for you after the fact and I have had two Dobies done by him and he was recommended by a few Doberman breeders. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ur dogs ears look very nice ironwood!!! thanks for the heads up...Jezbera is a little closer to home and I feel pretty comfortable choosing him. Thanks for the info!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts