Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sweet Girl
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself a novice Doberman owner as Nala is my first, so these questions are always very interesting to me- Name something that you feel is different about Dobermans compared to other dogs in terms of personality.

For me, one thing that was different in comparison to the dogs I had growing up, is she might not want to engage with me right away in the morning. She at times likes to lay on a her bed for a bit longer and may even look at me like "Um I'm still resting here" if I get up earlier then she wants to. I leave her be when I see that unless there is a reason she needs to be up. Once she is up of course she is excited and ready to go. When I first noticed this I thought wow she isn't bouncing around like crazy in the morning like other dogs I had had. Of course this could also be her specifically, but in general she has a reserved side that see also with strangers that try to talk to her -She is never aggressive, but is utterly uninterested in them. I see it in other random situations as well and have come to appreciate it because it is a calmness and dignity she has about her. She has a great on/off switch - she loves to run and play, but is very chill at home. I would love to hear what others notice!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The big thing that jumped out to me is the velcro personality. Other than Cajun my Dobe, I have 3 other dogs... I would consider them all clingy, and yeah, from time to time probably labeled them velcro dogs.

What I could not appreciate until getting Cajun is how LITERAL the term is. I had read about it, yeah yeah yeah they like to touch you... lol I could not really GET it until I experienced it. She is always laying on my feet. Or sitting on my lap. Or leaning into me. Or resting her head on my shoulder when we're in the car. It's very rare that I don't have a doberman physically touching me.

Also the indifference towards people, is interesting to me. She gets SO excited about going places - like, as soon as we pull into the parking lot for the pet store, she starts jumping around and wiggling her butt and whining. But as soon as we enter the store she turns on the Regal Doberman switch and acts above it all and like she is honoring you by sniffing your hand lol.

·
Sweet Girl
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big thing that jumped out to me is the velcro personality. Other than Cajun my Dobe, I have 3 other dogs... I would consider them all clingy, and yeah, from time to time probably labeled them velcro dogs.

What I could not appreciate until getting Cajun is how LITERAL the term is. I had read about it, yeah yeah yeah they like to touch you... lol I could not really GET it until I experienced it. She is always laying on my feet. Or sitting on my lap. Or leaning into me. Or resting her head on my shoulder when we're in the car. It's very rare that I don't have a doberman physically touching me.

Also the indifference towards people, is interesting to me. She gets SO excited about going places - like, as soon as we pull into the parking lot for the pet store, she starts jumping around and wiggling her butt and whining. But as soon as we enter the store she turns on the Regal Doberman switch and acts above it all and like she is honoring you by sniffing your hand lol.

Oh yes the Velcro trait! I love that about them too! I love how she watches to see where I'm going to sit and then brings a toy and comes and sits with me either against my leg or with a paw over my lap etc. so sweet!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I think it depends on your previous experiences. I personally do not find them overly Velcro but they definitely like to be with/on their people...however I live WITH THIS

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
16,038 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
The dobershark, dobergoat etc

They are weird, but in a good way.

Mishka is Velcro but before bed she is not, she wants her lounge.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
A Doberman is literally ones "shadow":
- mom home with girl, mom will do
- son here, son will do
- only dad home, dad will do
And if everyone is home & mom is in the kitchen, in the kitchen you will find our Doberman.
First person out of bed in the morning, dobe is right behind them...to start the day.
- they hate to miss out on a moment of life..:sweat:...get a dobe, will always have a buddy, close by / family is their life

·
DobieToons
308 Posts
The one I have seen the most in Dobies....as I have had all kinds of different breeds and types of dogs.....is their ability to figure things out on their own.

By this I mean how they can reason and deduct things they want or things you want them to do.

Of the 3 Dobs I have had...all 3 had this trait. Meeko, my past away Malamute, had this same trait though.

They can look at something, study it and figure out how to open it, snatch it, make it work, play music, etc...

As one example....Smokie and Bandit have 3-4 stuffed toys that have sound making boxes inside them. They both know exactly where to squeeze the toy to make it play the sounds...
Of all of their stuffed toys...these are the ones they do not shred into pieces like the ones that dont have sound boxes in them. Its like the ones that don't get shredded as if they are looking for the sound maker!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I could probably write a book on all the things I love about the Doberman. When I had my male I always joked that if I could find a man that had all of his qualities and characteristics I would be set. Tall, dark, and handsome, great sense of humor, intelligent, loyal, easy going, great protector, and loving. I have to say though, probably the number one thing I love about the Doberman is they are not a "what you see is what you get" kinda dog. People always have such a hard time believing they are not as fierce and serious as they look. You really need to get to know them before you can make a judgement about them. I, personally, can relate to that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had a Doberman many years ago so I consider Kris, my first. She is not timid or shy of people but just ignores them. One of her best "stays" is the Stand Stay in Obedience, any number of people can go over her and she never moves an inch or even acknowledges them. She never just walks up to strangers to say hello but is quite willing to have them pat her.

I would not consider her especially Velcro, she is quite happy to be outside playing or sleeping in the sun whereas my Shih Tzu x Maltese are not happy outside unless I am also out there. I have had to spend a lot more time doing Obedience training with her than most of the other breeds I have had even though she is a perfect house dog, never has chewed anything up, counter surfed, etc. and was almost born house trained, only having peed once in the house and never pooped inside. Perfect in the crate at night or in the Van travelling right from the time I first got her at 11 weeks.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Everything. I'm so ruined to even consider another breed it's not funny.
They are seriously addictive. To live with a good doberman is to be hooked for life.
There is no cure for dobermanitis.

ha, sounds like a pharmaceutical ad :roflmao:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
All of the above, but especially their intelligence and the companionship.
I'm first time owner and every day he surprises me.
His attention to everything, also he is an amazing good judge of character.
I've had a few different breeds, but somehow this little fellow completes me in a way I didn't know possible.

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,562 Posts
i should give some background before i go into this.

my dog experience is limited and generally poor.
  • when i was a wee babe my parents had a mini schnauzer that HATED my guts, and she'd bite my hands any time she had the opportunity. those scars finally faded by the time i was a teenager.
  • when i was a little older, i went to an in-home daycare where the owner had a bassett. he was sweet enough, but grossly slobbery and i couldn't approach him later in the evenings. i didn't know why this was, but i was encouraged to do so, anyway. he snapped at me more than once. this reinforced my shyness around dogs.
  • my childhood best friend had a VERY poorly trained GSD. this dog barked like crazy at anything that moved. she was also the type to jump on people.
  • i knew a few folks with labs and one with a golden, none of which were trained to do much of anything but bark for attention and jump on people. one of the labs had a sore back leg like...all the time. didn't know that. got bit.
  • when i was 13, my parents adopted a rescued stray...he was a lab/GSD mix. basically looked like a yellow GSD with a lab rudder tail. he was smart. he also knew i had no idea what i was doing, and proceeded to bite me numerous times. he bit my mom once and my dad once, and went back to a shelter. he was supposed to be my dog.
so i've been dog shy ever since. friends have had jumpy dogs, and i've either refused to go to their houses or asked them to put the dogs away while i'm there. i was sick of being bit simply because i didn't know how to read dogs.

i dated a guy who had a dobe, and that dog completely changed the way i saw them. Buddy jumped all over his owner, but that's because it was allowed. when i entered his house, he simply walked over, leaned against my leg, and put his head on my knee. he was insistent - he started flipping my hand after awhile - but he was the first dog to crack that fear.

ever since then, i knew i wanted an intelligent dog. my fiance' and i discussed it after i moved in, and we weighed the pros and cons of the dogs on the top 10 list. we didn't want a big-time shedder, so GSDs were out of the question; we didn't want to deal with a herding dog, so shelties, borders, and ACDs were out. at the time i had a poor opinion of poodles (this has since changed) and they require too much grooming, so they were out. labs and goldens had no chance, papillons were too small, and rotts too slobbery. we discussed the dobe heavily, and i went out to meet a few individuals of the breed. went to a Schutzhund trial. i was sold, he was sold, so we started to seek out breeders. once we found Mary and visited Deckard's litter, i had the same experience with her two. Dagger wrestled with my fiance' while he simply came over and leaned on me. i figured this was an indication of their intelligence.

and you know, i haven't regretted the choice. it's been a little over 2 years since we brought our boy home and a year and a half since we lost him, and i don't think i'll ever be without a dobe in my life. Rip challenges me to do better in everything, not just in her care. she's taken 20 pounds off me since we brought her home (i regained half over the winter, then lost it again since summer hit). she's forced me to reevaluate my training methods, and as shown by our show on Sunday, it's been for the better. i think i'd have continued to get fatter if we'd bought a couch potato breed.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I cant pick one thing, its everything, their whole personality, quirks, habits, desires, and I cant see myself with any other breed. Well thats not entirely true as I could have a second breed but it would have to get along with my dobe

Reactions: Nala5

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me its like they are almost human. When things are normal around the house Sarge will always be checking out anyone that gets up and is about. Later in the day when everyone is home he will sit in his favorite spot on the couch. If we are all in the same room he has to be by me or my wife on the couch, until he has had enough. Then he will get up and lay by himself on another couch. Most of the time if I call him over he will come and lay down next to me. Sometimes if we are ignoring him and then call him over, he'll turn his head and pout just like a little child. Then we laugh our butts off:D.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts