Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I would start a thread to see who else is being tortured by puppy behavior on this beautiful Saturday Morning. I keep reading all these posts about these great behaved puppies, some perfect puppies. Some of my past posts included (because you know in our eyes each of our puppies are perfect, well behaved and gracious). Well today is definitely starting out to be not one of those rainbow and butterfly days. Surely someone else out there can help share in my misery? I'll start.....

Lets see for us, its 724 am now and I've been up chasing her for about an hour and a half now. Lucky me, today she graciously "allowed" me to sleep in until 6 am. So far we are one hour twenty four minutes into our morning and she has managed to get in to my linen closet and bring downstairs just about every single towel and blanket we own, (she has figured out how to open doors, how is that even possible)? Anyway's, she got onto our chess table (maybe she wanted to learn how to play?? I mean she's very smart and all) but then I noticed that she had successfully snuck outside two chess pieces, (I take that victory point because I managed to get her to drop those as I was chasing her), she's tormented one of the sleepy Chihuahuas who has indicated with her growling that she wants nothing more than to be allowed to sleep in a little more, she got into a pile of papers on the table ( hubby's fault ,I keep telling him to remove anything and everything within paw shot and while she's very smart, she doesn't know how to pay bills yet so I don't' think that was her plan when she so voraciously attacked the pile), grabbed the checkbook and ran, (now this I'm thinking this might be her way of telling me that she wants to go shopping today, maybe for her secret santa, not sure, but I kind of have to agree with her idea on this one), I've ran up and down the stairs over thirty times already, if I don't' drop five lbs this week I never will, and she just sits there with those giant saucer puppy eyes with a look that almost says, "I'm trying to help you burn calories Mom," at least that's how I interpreted it. I can't wait to see what the afternoon brings with a morning like this. My morning so far is like a comedy show of errors. I can't possibly be the only one going through this. What is your routine or perhaps any pointers on how to make these "zoomie" mornings a little less zoomie?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Baby gate at stairs, hehe

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nubis's Dad. Been there tried that, I swear if I dig hard enough, I will find a Houdini in her pedigree. She can get out of ANYTHING it seems. I think if Petsmart sees me bringing back one more gate or hears me cry how its not pet proof at all, I think they are going to ban me. We did cave in yesterday, and ordered custom made wrought iron gates with a tiny entrance so our smaller dogs can get through to get some peace. They are getting installed next Friday,which in my eyes, can't come soon enough. Once installed, these should keep her contained to our family room and kitchen with access to her doggie door. I am praying this works.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Nubis stuck close to his routine, and was stellar except for a little nip on my toe, after lots kisses \licking footwash.
Its funny only dogs can touch my feet, anyone else just drives me crazy. Maybe its because my psychotic Step Uncle, use to tickle my feet till I pissed myself and then laugh/mock me. Yeah that's the ticket!!!
Well Nubis is now taking his regularly scheduled nap, lol but before he was put down, we listened to our sleepy time tune "Even in the Quietest Moments", he really likes the birds chirping and so does his Dad.
I think today he learnt that pushing his nose on a certain spot of my home theater it turns up the volume. Yesterday he did it by accident , seen the result and when I used the remote to turn it down, he canted his head and gave me that quizzical learning look.
Today not worth a lie, he settled on his day cushion, he listened to the birds, then got up smelled the stereo, pushed the volume and went back and lied down.
Totally freaked me out and I was thinking a shot of Cognac might be in hand for Dad. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha ha thats funny when they do strange things to freak you out. Last week our girl carried a pair of slippers up on our bed right up to hubby, almost as if to say , ok wake up. The door opening thing is funny too, she keeps going up there and banging on all the doors ( I locked them all). Its making her crazy that she can't get in. she keeps pawing at the door knobs which usually opens them, but not now. lol. one more victory point for me in my attempts to keep her under control. I will say this, if she brings me down one more towel or one more blanket out of my linen closet, I'm going to put her in the laundry room and not her out until she figures out how to do the laundry. She has figured out pretty much everything else, I'm sure she could figure out how to do that too if she concentrates hard enough. lol.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Lol

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
wow, she sounds like she is ready for Haarvard! What a smart girl .. maybe between the two of them they can teach my two to at least pick up their toys? They have dragged every toy out of the box, but havent played with any of them, except Wubba which Bella seems to want to use as a chew toy, not its intended purpose at all, I keep taking it away and putting it on top of the crate, next time its going in the top of the closet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Remington was up at 5:30 this morning since I had to work, and he made his little chewbacca noises and calmly jumped off the bed. He then proceeds to stretch while I get moving and waits at the door to go outside for his morning potty. This is all done very calmly, but what happens next is like opening the door and letting a tornado in. He comes zipping back in the house like his tail is on fire and starts his morning zoomies! He uses the couch as part of his track and most of the time it's just the back of the couch. He leaps over the coffee table and when he passes the toy box grabs a toy on the run to be dropped somewhere in the house. We use to close his toy box but he figured out how to pull the handles down and flip the lid off so we gave up. While all this is going on the cats are hiding in fear of being trampled by his huge feet. I serve breakfast which he slides into the kitchen to check out grabs a mouth full and off he goes again. This last for about 45 minutes and then he is good again till the afternoon zoomies take hold and he's off again. By bedtime I am so tired of keeping up with him that I crash hard. Lol

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:baby: Thank you so much for this, I was beginning to think my BABY girl was the only one that acted like that. She gets out of her crate at 6am, goes out dog door to potty. Comes in and pulls every blanket she can find off and into the living room, makes a pile then lays back down and goes back to sleep till 8 am when it's time to eat. She goes, I also go back to sleep next to her, but I'm on the couch. After she eats, all hell breaks loose, running, chasing the other dogs, pulling hair,in and out the dog door. This goes on a good hour maybe more, till everyone is pooped and it's time to lay down and chew something. I have to make sure the channel changers are put up, thats her favorite thing to hide and chew, (regardless of the many, many, many chew toys and treats of her own).

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
I AWARD this, a GREAT-THREAD-OF-THE-WEEK...just so much fun reading / keep the stories coming.
My dobe will be 11 y/o in Dec. - but reading this stuff, made me sit up with fond memory's.

When Amy was young, she loved to ZOOM & SPIN around the living room carpeted floor and use the leather love seat as a "spring board" / planting her paws on the vertical back side of the couch...using it a launch pad, to keep her momentum going.
- now we have hardwood floors / so next puppy will be in for a huge disadvantage (no traction)...lol

Plus:
- Once AMY pulled out a discarded KFC chicken breast (bones, minus meat) out of the kitchen garbage can.
Wife caught her in the act...game over, puppy never to venture their again.
- I taught AMY when she was 9 weeks old to paw open the garage & side door, if I have it ajar a fraction of an inch. Now I can't keep perfect paint on two doors...O'h well, I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was in the same boat as you w/ my pup when he was younger. I remember reading on here too that no ones dog pooped in their crate and learned potty training fast-I was goin crazy! I do not at all miss getting up at 6am for potty! One time he woke me up @ 530 and went outside and played with leaves-didnt even poop or pee, I was furious! I thought it was always going to be like that-thankfully during the summer we thought we'd open up his crate fully and put a comfy bed in there instead of just a blaket. That did the trick-he now can sleep in till 8:30-9:00-thought that would never happen! As far as the zoomies go, every morning for even ten mintues maybe we play fetch in the house and I run around and chase him while he has the ball-he loves it. I also had him on a leash in the house at all times when he was young so he couldn't get into things and make messes-helped a lot with training. I ALMOST miss those young puppy days cuz these Doberteens can be brutal! :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
you mean it gets worse? LOL. Maybe I should have named her Marley. Today I woke up at 730 am in a panic thinking OMG its late, she didn't wake me up, she probably tore the house up, the walls were still standing so my imediate thought was well we still have shelter, only to look up and see these beautiful eyes just lying on my bed staring at me. Last night hubby caved and let her sleep on the bed, shes done this once or twice before but it didnt make a difference in her wake up time, today it did. Then we all woke up and she went outside and ALL of her business, which she hardly does at the same time, ate her breakfast and now she is lying on the window nice and peaceful chewing a cow ear with not a care in the world. I'm thinking maybe Jesus heard me and answered my prayers this morning! Today we have a totally different puppy in our house. Lets see how long this lasts, my guess is one hour. ps. I love the pics of your Amy.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Beaumont for the kind words, I agree, the stories are entertaining and its nice to see I'm not in this boat alone. Sometimes its easy to feel like you are the only one in the world going through this and its so up and down. Love her to pieces this morning, I feel like someone switched her out last night, same loveable puppy we fell in love with but my gosh, what a turn around this morning in her daily routine, I think I should not only continue to pray but maybe I need to start lighting candles too. lol. I'm expecting the zoomies to come on at any minute now, she's too calm for the moment.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
. I'm expecting the zoomies to come on at any minute now, she's too calm for the moment.
wait for it? They will be Angels and then BAMM.
Its fun cuz puppy hood only lasts for so long and they grow fast and their still puppy's. I like meeting ppl when they are 60 lbs and they go, "at least his not a puppy" and im like his still a puppy , hehehe

Nubis today had a few good sessions of "head down" then later knocked my coffee over. LOL

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
ha ha thats funny when they do strange things to freak you out. Last week our girl carried a pair of slippers up on our bed right up to hubby, almost as if to say , ok wake up. The door opening thing is funny too, she keeps going up there and banging on all the doors ( I locked them all). Its making her crazy that she can't get in. she keeps pawing at the door knobs which usually opens them, but not now. lol. one more victory point for me in my attempts to keep her under control. I will say this, if she brings me down one more towel or one more blanket out of my linen closet, I'm going to put her in the laundry room and not her out until she figures out how to do the laundry. She has figured out pretty much everything else, I'm sure she could figure out how to do that too if she concentrates hard enough. lol.
Nubus just discovered that trotting around like a mini stallion with a shoe in his mouth is pretty cool or so he thinks, I DONT THINK SO hehehe
I call him Jackie when he does because it reminds me of my sister wearing whoever's shoes, she could get into. LOL
Today he had a rested sleep as his morning session prior to his nap got him a Star in my books.
It must have been all the stop and go walks we did yesterday on a quiet street.
I am sure anyone observing must have thought what a wackjob. I am sure the old Italian lady's were whispering that I am a Drill Seargent and turning Nubis into a trained Black Ninja Assassin.
Whatever. Shhh!!!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
"If we never have humour in our life, we will never value and respect sadness":blahblah:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
well this morning alice decided she wants to do some bite work. i was walking in the kitchen to get her food ready apparently i wasn't going fast enough cause she jumped up and bit me as hard as she could on the rump i twirled around so fast to see her in pouncing play position and her head all the way to the side I couldn't even get mad at her lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my 2nd day with my 9 week old pup Vyctoria, and I have to say I'm so impressed. She's watched my other dog and figured out the whole potty game in 30 minutes. This was the day I got her. She proved to me that she got it this morning, because my other dog wasn't even up yet.
Last night was the whinning game. I had put her in there, because she wouldn't settle down at 2am ...it was her first full night, so I had her on the couch with me. When I put her in the crate she whimpered till about 2:40am, then drifted off, then started again at 4:00am, then drifted off, and started again at 5:00...
After I've let her run for 45 minutes while getting ready for work, she came in, and fought me cause she didn't want to go in the crate again.
She has her first vet appointment today at 4:45pm... I'm crossing my fingers that she does well at the vet. :):cwmddd:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets see, its Wednesday, 9am, and Bella has perfected the art of opening just about every single door in my house except the slider and the front door, I'm sure its only a matter of time before she figures out the drawers and cabinets. Forget locks. If you lock a bedroom door and she can't pull the lever down to get in she just body slams it in a rage. I'm thinking maybe when she grows up she can get a job with the warrant squad, she would be excellent at pushing in doors to get to the bad guys. In the meantime she is just driving me nuts. Ordered some wrought iron gates for our little Houdini and they can't get here fast enough, I've called the man who is making them three times already asking him to please hurry up or I might not be able to pay him as I will be in a looney bin if I don't get them soon. I've chased her up the stairs atleast 20 times already, I lost count, and this morning she really exceeded our expectations, she discovered her love for music via the cd rack. Bella definately has no taste in music as she destroyed my Andrea Boccelli cd. Who does that? Right now she is sulking in the yard because I chased her out of my son's room, I think she wanted to play video games. Not happening. Calgon please.... take me away from this nut house!!!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Nubis today got a big star for his walk today. 90% of his walk was loose leash and it was a quite enjoyable walk for nubis'sdad. Using stop and walk and dropping the leash slack is proving to have an effect on Nubis. I have the STAY command in my arsenal now, and it's helping alot now, as it is making sense to him, while we wait at intersections and for vehicles.
It is also helping his impatience, having him stay in position when I call it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts