Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd taken opie out for a walk in the local country park one day last week, and decided to head through the fields under the cover of the trees where it was nice and cool. it's an enclosed field and no one was around so i let opie off his lead so he could let off some steam. he started running up and down the path with his eyes constantly on the trees so i figured that he'd got the scent of a pheasant.

i glanced over into the crops and saw what i thought was the head of a dog so instantly recalled opie. he came running back in my direction but not close enough for me to grab him. as i watched the head popped up again with the rest of its body and i realised it was a deer! it started bounding off down the field and opie saw it and started running after it. i threw myself on to my knees and yelled 'ow ow ow' very loudly. opie stopped mid chase, turned and ran straight back to me. i grabbed his collar and quickly attached his lead to him.

i was gobsmacked that he came back. i thought my day was going to be spent trawling the fields chasing him. i know if it had been my friends dobe holly she would have been gone. he got lots of praise and plenty of treats. needless to say, i now know what my emergency recall is :D i'm so glad he hasn't got a high prey drive.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Your emergency recall made me laugh.. good thinking though! Poor boy- gave up a lovely chase because he thought his momma was hurt :D the trickery!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Good for Opie, he came back...even though he had to think twice.

Every pup I get at 8 weeks old, is totally off-leash (even going outside, for regular potty)...for the most part.
We have a ravine at the dead end of our street, so at the age of 3 months, we go in to snoop around...and I hide betwen a tree and whistle loud, calling her first name.
I can do a high pitch whistle with two fingers touching together, and it works if the dog is just out of eye sight.

When we street or woodlot walk, with dobe ahead of me, I will instruct "STAY WITH Dada" if I feel the need...and that is her clue to not advance further or retract closer some, to me. Even practicing a rough off-leash heal, I will say "STAY WITH Dada" to keep her loosly by my side, like when we approach an intersection...and a road crossing, is comming up. - I am not advocating the this type of street walking here, just showing how a simple commanded phrase can work, after the bond is established.

Plus, I train my puppy to sit on command, if there is even a baby rabbit in our back yard, at night...and we watch it , for 5 minutes and see how close we can get, moving a foot at a time. Also she is not allowed to chase squirrels, birds or chipmunks...stray cats on property ok (LOL). We also went to our city park, with one deer in captivity...and Amy and the fawn touched noses through the chain link fence and kissed...it happened because she was not allowed to bark or run at it.

I do a ton of baby step training, off-leash and my voice pitch and mannerisms keep the dobe, in control.
It is very gratifying to have a dog, that will listen under many distractions...but it can be a normal experience.
- if practiced with responsibility in mind and it becomes a most positive learning & game experience ----> but I don't know your dog Opie (disclaimer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnM067oZKc

tattoogirl73
- Congrats, for avoiding a lost dog...but daily off-leash training exercises will build the dobe and your confidence together...without being in a one off panic mode.
- to me, its as important as teaching a child how to swim / dobe off-leash training, that is (not for every dog, but it is possible to work on it..with some)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Wow, I hate those moments. I let Parker out the door one night to put him in the backyard, mere 10 feet away. There happened to be a dog in the front yard that took off heading toward the main road! That fear of never seeing your dog again or them being hlt by a car! By the time I got the keys and started up the road in the car, he was trotting back! God, the relief, that he had some sense after all. Still, a horrible feeling, not matched by any other! Glad your boy came back!! Good thinking at a stressful time.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm glad he came back to you with no problem. Chevy freaked me out today. I usually take her out back to pee on a leash as there are sometimes dog wandering through the neighborhood and out backyard isnt fenced. I just let her out to pee today and stood right outside the door and watched. She peed then took off toward the front yard. I called her and she kept going. I freaked and chased her. I thought she was after a dog and she was headed straight towards the street. I got around the corner of the house and she had just gone in the garage and sat at that door for some reason. The feeling is horrible!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Wow you are so lucky and Opie is such a good dog.

We rarely have deer around here but in the autumn before hunting season the Jabali (wild boar) do come down to munch on any carobs (what diabetic chocolate is made of) folk have left lying around.

Last year as I was walking the boys sent an Jabali running from its hiding place and off it went with dogs in tow. I called and called them and thought I had lost the lot when back came Toby, grinning from ear to ear with a look on his face as if to say, 'what, I only saw it off our land mum'. Needless to say my Terriers didnt come back for about an hour and although I worry about them, I feel a Dobe on the loose is considerably more dicey than a 24 centimetre high Terrier.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Excellent job on your quick thinking especially if you weren't aware of it as a method of recall.
My first dobe I owned, did exactly the same thing and once he went into the woods, my panic was over the top. Not so much if he messed with the deer, but if he also came across a bear. I almost went into PTSD mode, cuz I have seen what certain animals can do to dogs.
The first red Dobe i fell in love with, was owned by my cousins. When we were at their cottage, we were outside playing Frisbee and Kaiser(1) kept going to the tree line and barking, then he went into the brush, barking crazy and 30 seconds later, we heard the fighting growls, etc. Something i don't want to hear again. We took off into the woods and met him limping back and all tore open from messing with a Lynx. The vet was over an hour away and my cousin made it there in record time, cuz Kaiser (1) had and was loosing alot of blood. Luckily my cousin had some good high speed driving under his belt because of the corvette he owned. Later he told us, he never knew his pickup truck could go that fast, LOL.
Kaiser(1) made it out fine and lived 7 years longer, but mentally we could tell he was never the same. A year later my curiosity got the best of me, and I went into the woods and found what I believe was the lynx,s remains, so at least Kaiser(1) got him for almost killing him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts