Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Winston's Mom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me for piling so much in to one post but I have so many questions. I am not new to large breed dogs nor am I new to Doberman breeds and what they offer a family. However, most of my experience with large breeds is not in owning one myself.

I picked up a 4 year old pure breed Doberman at the shelter this past weekend so keep in mind it has not even been a week. I would like to review the past few days and hope that my fellow dobie lovers can chime in on what I am doing wrong and what could be improved.

We stopped in after taking the family skating, to check out all the pups...I had no intentions of leaving with a pup at all but when I saw him...laying there peacefully this pure breed beauty I just had to at least take him out. He was pretty good on a leash and did not bark back when walking the green mile to freedom...We took him to this fenced in play area and let him off the leash where we learned he knew to sit and some what fetch. He really engaged the family and was amazingly calm around my smaller children.

Basically we all fell in love, even though...it would have been my dog essentially. There was no room for him in the truck so he hopped in back but we opened the back window because all the kids felt he was sad if we didn't include him in the drive to his new home...it was about 3 minutes into the ride that he puked all over one of the kids...LOL...everyone handled it well...

He got out that same very day but did not really run off far and came right back. We knew we had a runner on our hands. You can tell by how he acts at times that he was most likely crated for the majority of the day. Now, although I will get a crate...I am home the majority of every day so this pup does not need to worry about being coupe up all day.

I learned very quick that anything that is not bone or rubber will not last 5 minutes in the house...as far as toys got dogs go...he has not chewed anything he shouldn't...yet....

The second day he ran past all six of us again and got out...after 30 minutes of trying to catch him we gave up...to say they run is an understatement...its more like a gallop. Thankfully he is microchips and later that night was found and returned home...no we did not punish him for running away...

Keep in mind now, I take him out on the trails for walks and he will be getting sufficient exercise.

Today I took him out to the trails after having a highly successful trip last time in which he rarely pulled me...we walked two miles...he did great...passed a couple dogs without too much of an issue...HE DOES NOT LIKE CATS...always wants to chase squirrels. Walking with him was good though...and when he did try to take the lead I will pull back on the leash as described on the internet...which seemed to work. Again, today was different...I took my daughter with me, on her bike...and the pup kept wanting to run, pulled like you wouldn't believe...and nearly broke my finger which is now all swollen. He also tried to pull yesterday more than usual when I walked him around the neighborhood.

Cant talk about the bad without talking about the good. He is rather calm, does not lick or jump...he sits before going out, coming in, getting food and water...in fact he trains so well that now all I have to do is snap...but this does not apply if he is distracted outside...he can also lay down and shake...

He adores love and companionship...he nudges you to pet him right behind the ears...if you stop he stares at you and makes this huff and puff sound...but if you are done he is okay with that...he has not lost patience with any of the kids and really is just a big baby...I could not have asked for a better adult dog...and yes he is house broken.

Yesterday we were sitting on the porch and I had his leash on and in my hand but he saw the cat and bolted...once he runs he is pretty much unfetchable...thankfully the cat ran up a tree which kept the pup nearby and I was able to get him...

He is a good dog, sweet dog and I already love him dearly. I can give him a good home, and exercise but I cant have him pulling me...it hurts...

My main questions are how do you get consistency? When he is looking around and spinning in circles or trying to pull and seemingly forgets I am the lead....what do I do? He wont even sit when he sees other dogs or gets excited...

Also, what is everyone feeding their Dobies?

Any and all advice would be appreciated...thank you for reading...

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You've had him for 4 days? I think you're expecting too much. Allow him to settle in, learn your family's routine and then start a basic obedience class.

Find an open field, put him on a long lead (15-20ft) and allow him to run off some of his energy THEN try a nice walk.

·
Winston's Mom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay...thank you...you are right...I may be expecting to much to soon...ill pick up one of those long leads....there is a nice size field where we run...ill try and let him run a bit before we go on our walks...

You've had him for 4 days? I think you're expecting too much. Allow him to settle in, learn your family's routine and then start a basic obedience class.

Find an open field, put him on a long lead (15-20ft) and allow him to run off some of his energy THEN try a nice walk.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Here's a list of AKC training clubs in FL Training Resources

The door dashing/running off is something you'll really have to work on as this could be deadly for him. Utilize baby gates anywhere you can, even on the porch.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Okay...thank you...you are right...I may be expecting to much to soon...ill pick up one of those long leads....there is a nice size field where we run...ill try and let him run a bit before we go on our walks...

·
Banned
7,471 Posts

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Here's a list of AKC training clubs in FL Training Resources

The door dashing/running off is something you'll really have to work on as this could be deadly for him. Utilize baby gates anywhere you can, even on the porch.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

I watched a YouTube video of a trainer working with a dog at a shelter that was a bolter. All he did was condition the dog to not expect to always get to go out each time his cage door was opened. the dog did a 180 in training and it was cool to see.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
If you can find the video, please post it here. Might help the OP :nicejob:

I watched a YouTube video of a trainer working with a dog at a shelter that was a bolter. All he did was condition the dog to not expect to always get to go out each time his cage door was opened. the dog did a 180 in training and it was cool to see.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I agree on slowing down with him. Give him some time to settle in and learn you while you learn him. Too much too fast will freak him out. You can start working on impulse control, however, because door dashing is dangerous. I taught my dogs a "wait" command and now they sit and wait for me to release them. I did this first with food. I'd put them in a sit as I prepared the food. Then I put it on the floor for them, still telling them to wait, and after some time I"d release them so they could eat. If they tried to go for the food before I released them I picked the food up, waited for a sit, and put it back down. At first keep the time that he's waiting short and then you can increase it as he starts to understand. You can do the same thing with a door. Open the door slowly and if he starts to move towards it, close the door and start over.

As for food, I feed Nature's Variety: Instinct kibble and a slew of higher quality wet foods (NV:Instinct, Merrick, TotW, Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, Innova, ZiwiPeak, etc). I LOVE how my two dogs, especially my doberman, has done on Instinct. His coat is so shiny and pretty soft, he looks great, and his poops are small and only once a day.
Also, take some pictures. We love pictures.

·
Winston's Mom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for all the help...and insight...I will go out today and get a different kind of leash...he already sits and no longer bolts out the door...but he will bolt or try to bolt if he sees a squirrel or cat...dogs kinda but not really...I am guessing he just needs to get use to the area, new home and the realization that he will get out to play more often then he did at his old home...

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Before you get the chance to take him to an obedience course with a professional, I'd recommend getting a no pull harness. Him pulling out of your hands to go chase running things is very dangerous. This could lead to him hurting someone/something or getting hurt himself. You do not want to risk that are continue to allow the behavior. While he is still settling into your new home, I think keeping him in control (not running away from you) is probably something you should work on.

Here are some examples:
No-Pull Dog Harnesses - Dog Training Supply

they clip on the front to discourage pulling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts