Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not posting a question that has already been answered. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have been thinking about getting a doberman for my family for a few years now since remembering the fondest times of my childhood was spent with my doberman. Anyhoos, here we are. I am in Nashville TN and have found plenty of people selling their dogs from $300-$2000. There are so many people out there, it is hard to tell who is reputatble and who is a puppy mill. I was hoping to introduce a puppy into our family by the end of summer but I honestly need some help in chosing a breeder. I am willing to drive if needed but I don't want a puppy to have to go through the whole shipping process. After all, a puppy is not an object that is sutable for shipping. Also, I was wondering, if I should get a male or female. I have 2 teens and an infant who has been tested with other peoples animals and is so loving and gentle with all living creatures. We don't have any other animals. But I wasn't sure if there was one sex that would be better suited in our family. Any help will be more than appreciated!
:thanx:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,323 Posts
You can check out this link from our Educational Archives for a good start:

http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/8780-breeders-breeding.html#post135528

in particular, the first link, "Buying a Doberman Pinscher" is a good place to start reading.

About the most suitable dog sex for you--of course, there are differences from dog to dog, but many folks find that the male doberman is more easy-going and tolerant, while the female may be a bit edgier. Rather than choosing a particular sex in your puppy, though, it would be better to find your good breeder, explain your situation and what you want from your dog, and then let them pick the puppy out of their litter that matches you best. A good breeder knows the parents bloodlines backwards and forwards, and has observed the puppies from day one and will have probably the best idea of the individual puppy's personality, so they can match the right puppy to the right household.

Good luck in your puppy search (search for the breeder first!!):)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts