Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been talked about before on here but I had never experienced it until just now. Someone just said some horrible things to me after seeing Diesels ears taped and told me (pardon the french) but that I'm an ******* for hurting my puppy for fashion. I was speechless and pretty angry that they assumed that I enjoyed having my puppy suffer. If only they knew that I love my dog more then anything so I politely asked if they had noticed that a lot of people crop their dobermans ears and of course they gave me some smart comment and told me I was a waste of space and didn't deserve to have a puppy. I decided to just walk away but I am still livid about this and honestly I'm not sure why. Maybe if they understood the breed they wouldn't be calling me names :mad2:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Eh, don't let it get to you. I know it's hard, but unfortunately it probably won't be the last time. People are dumb. If they are that rude, they aren't worth your time anyways. Usually the less you let it get to you, the more annoyed it makes them. Just smile politely, say thank you, and walk away. Hard to do, but you'll be the bigger person and they will be stunned that their opinion mattered so little to you ;)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Some people don't deserve to be able to talk.

I usually tell folks that the cropping is done under anesthesia, and that the ears are taped after they are healed to help them stiffen so they will stand up, and don't hurt the pup at that point. I might rub the pups ears so they can see him lean into the massage just to show them. That shuts up most people.

If someone doesn't shut up at that point, they're beyond saving and I don't waste my breath on them.

The one that bothers me is when my dog and me are somewhere where all the dogs are allowed to run off leash, and someone walks up to me and tells me my dog should be on a leash because he is vicious and might bite someone (despite his seeming good behavior). Don't I know he's a DOBERMAN and that he will might attack without any warning and rip someone to shreds?

Honestly (this is a joke), there are times when I wish I could sic my dog on someone so they can see what vicious looks like.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh, don't let it get to you. I know it's hard, but unfortunately it probably won't be the last time. People are dumb. If they are that rude, they aren't worth your time anyways. Usually the less you let it get to you, the more annoyed it makes them. Just smile politely, say thank you, and walk away. Hard to do, but you'll be the bigger person and they will be stunned that their opinion mattered so little to you ;)
It took a lot for me to walk away but I felt the same way. I needed to be the bigger person and protect my dog from this nut job.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I'm sure this has been talked about before on here but I had never experienced it until just now. Someone just said some horrible things to me after seeing Diesels ears taped and told me (pardon the french) but that I'm an ******* for hurting my puppy for fashion. I was speechless and pretty angry that they assumed that I enjoyed having my puppy suffer. If only they knew that I love my dog more then anything so I politely asked if they had noticed that a lot of people crop their dobermans ears and of course they gave me some smart comment and told me I was a waste of space and didn't deserve to have a puppy. I decided to just walk away but I am still livid about this and honestly I'm not sure why. Maybe if they understood the breed they wouldn't be calling me names :mad2:
I don't think it is a case of people not understanding the breed, but more that they do not understand why people crop ears. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with the practice, but I do not think it right that someone abuses someone who does. One can politely during a conversation that both parties wish to engage in put forward ones objections to the practice but I do not believe it is proper to force ones opinions on someone who doesnt and certainly not to call the dog owner names etc. I am so sorry you had this happen to you. As has been recommended in another thread, walk away, it is probably the only thing you can do with such people because you will never win an argument with people so set in their opinions.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some people don't deserve to be able to talk.

I usually tell folks that the cropping is done under anesthesia, and that the ears are taped after they are healed to help them stiffen so they will stand up, and don't hurt the pup at that point. I might rub the pups ears so they can see him lean into the massage just to show them. That shuts up most people.

If someone doesn't shut up at that point, they're beyond saving and I don't waste my breath on them.

The one that bothers me is when my dog and me are somewhere where all the dogs are allowed to run off leash, and someone walks up to me and tells me my dog should be on a leash because he is vicious and might bite someone (despite his seeming good behavior). Don't I know he's a DOBERMAN and that he will might attack without any warning and rip someone to shreds?

Honestly (this is a joke), there are times when I wish I could sic my dog on someone so they can see what vicious looks like.
Haha I love the last part.

I'm waiting for when Diesel gets bigger and people make the comment about him being vicious even if he's the sweetest dog. If they ask me if I realize he's a Doberman ill probably look at them and say "wow really?! I had no idea!" and smile and walk away.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think it is a case of people not understanding the breed, but more that they do not understand why people crop ears. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with the practice, but I do not think it right that someone abuses someone who does. One can politely during a conversation that both parties wish to engage in put forward ones objections to the practice but I do not believe it is proper to force ones opinions on someone who doesnt and certainly not to call the dog owner names etc. I am so sorry you had this happen to you. As has been recommended in another thread, walk away, it is probably the only thing you can do with such people because you will never win an argument with people so set in their opinions.
Thank you. I completely agree people are allowed to have their opinions but they need to be nice about it. I love dobermans ears regardless if there cropped or not. They are beautiful animals regardless. What ticked me off was the name calling and the anger they had towards me for no reason. I would've been more then happy to talk to them about it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It took a lot for me to walk away but I felt the same way. I needed to be the bigger person and protect my dog from this nut job.
Good for you :) I know it's hard. I have no problem educating someone if they seem like that really want to learn..but people like that obviously have already made up their mind. They aren't worth your time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry that happened. I probably would have had a hard time being quiet. She must enjoy making human beings suffer since she called names. Sometimes the people who claim to be all about love and peace can be the most judgmental.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, I'm sorry that happened. I probably would have had a hard time being quiet. She must enjoy making human beings suffer since she called names. Sometimes the people who claim to be all about love and peace can be the most judgmental.
I did have a hard time but I knew there was no use trying. I agree some people you think are the nicest people can say the most hurtful things cause they don't want to hear your side of the story.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Once the tape comes off 99% of the time people will be telling you how gorgeous he is, just wait. I once had the SAME person who gave me crap at the dog park tell me how beautiful she thought my boy was after the tape came off (she didn't remember giving me trouble just two months earlier). Some people are just stupid.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts