Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a one dog family, and are ready to buy our third doberman. Both dobes were GREAT dogs, but,the first one we didnt know any better or could afford to buy well bred and there WERE health issues. The second we bought from a show breeder but had wd anyways, which is livable with precautions.

now I am ready for my third, and doing everything right. Found a couple breeders kind of close who breed for standard, and health. I checked them out, and respect them for what they do for the breed.

As a companion dog owner, this is what I came up against.

I found a pup I was really excited to get, the breeder kept being elusive, then they finally told me it was because they wanted him to go to a show home.

Now I am in the process of talking to others and when I ask them to get a pet crop on one. No, no we can't do that!

I understand that their life and soul is in every dobe they produce.
I understand that every pup has the potential to be "it'
I really respect them for breeding for standard, health, and temperment.

What I am finding is these same breeders doing great things for the breed, are actually sending us companion owners to the backyard kennels.

Not every dobe can be a champion. For every winner in a show there are many more losers.

Give us companion owners who want to do the right thing a break!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a different breeder for you.

My pup is considered show quality, but he was sold to us on limited registration because we have no interest in showing.

As for the pet crop, you'll probably not find a breeder willing to do that because they want every puppy to be a representation of the quality of their lines, and part of that is the show crop. Is there a reason you are adamantly against the show crop enough that you'd go with poor health testing to get a pup with a shorter crop?

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
I've got to tell you that right now, I could have a litter of 12 pet quality puppies and it would not be enough for the GOOD pet homes out there looking. You have to be willing to get on lists and wait - unless you just get really really lucky.

I don't do pet crops on my puppies simply because at the time I crop the litter, I don't for sure know who is going to be show quality and who isn't. I may have ideas, but don't know 100%.

I know that people trying to do the right thing and buy from a reputable breeder do not always have an easy time doing so - and I feel bad about that, but not bad enough to breed more often. I want to be able to take an interest in every puppy I produce and be available for the family .... hard to do that if you are producing 2-3 litters every year - at least that would be hard for me!

So my advice it to keep looking and if you truly are a good home you will find a puppy. In the meantime, you might want to contact you local rescue and offer to foster for them - that way you are not dogless while you wait :)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
WElcome

Welcome from Missouri - Where are you located. I know of a good litter right now puppies are 3 weeks old and there are still a couple pet puppies available.

We are a one dog family, and are ready to buy our third doberman. Both dobes were GREAT dogs, but,the first one we didnt know any better or could afford to buy well bred and there WERE health issues. The second we bought from a show breeder but had wd anyways, which is livable with precautions.

now I am ready for my third, and doing everything right. Found a couple breeders kind of close who breed for standard, and health. I checked them out, and respect them for what they do for the breed.

I found a pup I was really excited to get, the breeder kept being elusive, then they finally told me it was because they wanted him to go to a show home.

Now I am in the process of talking to others and when I ask them to get a pet crop on one. No, no we can't do that!

What I am finding is these same breeders doing great things for the breed, are actually sending us companion owners to the backyard kennels.

Not every dobe can be a champion. For every winner in a show there are many more losers.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

If you're willing to put a rally, obedience or agility title on your companion dog many breeders might move you up a notch. Even with that you need to be prepared to do some waiting unless you get very lucky with the timing. I'd go to the shows, agility and ob trials and talk to people too. Show that you are serious and will provide a great home. There are some good all around and working breeders who might sell you a nice puppy if you're willing to get the pup out there in agility or odedience. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you indicate where you are- we can try to suggests a few breeders. Looks like all you need to do is get on a list and wait.

Why are you so fixated on a pet crop- that would be a concern but would not impact my decision if I was getting a healthy dog from a reputable person (since you are not going to show).

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...What I am finding is these same breeders doing great things for the breed, are actually sending us companion owners to the backyard kennels...
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The part of your post I've quoted above is, unfortunately, a refrain we've heard sung (or yelled) a lot around here lately.

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning, because--while it may be hard and inconvenient to wait--I am still responsible for my choices, as an ethical consumer.

The ethical breeders are not culpable if I make a bad decision. Just seems incumbent upon the puppy buyer to look a little harder, be a little more patient, trust that the right puppy will come along at the right time.

There is a second ethical way to acquire a Doberman for a companion. You can rescue.

There are a ton of great Dobermans out there, just waiting for someone to take them into their hearts and homes.

You've had plenty of offers of help in finding a pup from a great breeder, here, but in the meantime, rescue is another option you might consider. You'd be taking the same chances on health and temperament that you would with a BYB, but you wouldn't be lining the pockets of someone harming the breed, and contributing to the pet overpopulation problem. You'd be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Good luck, hope it works out for you and you have your new companion soon.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts

Oh, while I did enjoy reading your post, this part....

Please, make no mistake, people who choose to purchase from BYBs are doing so on their own and can't blame anyone for their decision on anyone but themselves. It's not fair to blame impatience on the ethical breeders.

Welcome to the forum - I hope your find your Doberman companion soon...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thank you to every one who responded.

I guess impatience has played a larger role than I thought.

I had no intention of going the BYB route. I just wanted to point out that the same people preaching against them, are pushing the common pet owner in that direction and encouraging the sale of poorly bred dobes.

I have spoke with two of the best breeders in my area. They are wonderful people who took the time for me even though I was not a show home.

I am now on a list. Thanks all!!!

Has anyone ever heard of Echo Dobermans in Delaware?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Goo

Glad to hear you have found a good breeder. Beleive me it is worth the wait. First and formost is you know the puppies are getting all the proper attention and care they need from the beginning until the come to you. Second the breeder will not be elusive because they know what they are talking about and made plans long before the litter was born.

Once you get the puppy they will be there for you to walk you through anything and everything that comes up. They will continue to respond to emails, questions, phone calls etc and not disappear on you. I have often said it takes a village to raise a Doberman. The breeder is at the head of the list for contact and resource all of which is worth its weight in gold.

I had no intention of going the BYB route. I just wanted to point out that the same people preaching against them, are pushing the common pet owner in that direction and encouraging the sale of poorly bred dobes.

I have spoke with two of the best breeders in my area. They are wonderful people who took the time for me even though I was not a show home.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Oh, you're local to DE? I am close to DE. I do not know of Echo personally (I did take a gander at their website) but you should look them up on the OFA site to see if they do complete health testing and/or ask them about it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

I have. Back in the late 80's, they were advertising in Dobedition. Think I saw an ad more recently, in the last year or two in DD. Used to have the slogan "Where quality comes in 4 allowed colors" or something like that.

Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would make sure you ask about holter results on the female, i don't see anything mentioned on her page about it. Is she pointed? I see she isn't a CH. where as their other dogs are, I suppose she's perhaps half completed?

Are you local to that area? My family lives about 20 mins from Newark area in PA, and I am about two hours away in Ocean City MD area.

Reactions: Qoach

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts

I have heard of Echo, and personally would not touch her with a 10 foot pole. IMHO she is an embarrassment to anyone who is a good breeder - and I'd like to see her get kicked out of the DPCA. Ask about the dogs that were confiscated from her several years back and what condition they were in. Ask her why she moved away from PA. This is more than just my opinion..... ask rescue about her! There may be breeders out there that I don't personally agree with on some practices, but there are darn few supposedly reputable breeders that I will vehemently warn people away from... Eileen Holtz is one of them. She should not be breeding .... ever!! JMHO

I'm going to add to this and say that I'd rather see you buy a Doberman from someone who may not do all the titling they should but who does the health testing, loves their dogs - and takes care of them the way that they should - than see you buy from Echo. Now anyone who knows me KNOWS that I would not normally say this..... I really feel that strongly.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I have heard of Echo, and personally would not touch her with a 10 foot pole. IMHO she is an embarrassment to anyone who is a good breeder - and I'd like to see her get kicked out of the DPCA. Ask about the dogs that were confiscated from her several years back and what condition they were in. Ask her why she moved away from PA. This is more than just my opinion..... ask rescue about her! There may be breeders out there that I don't personally agree with on some practices, but there are darn few supposedly reputable breeders that I will vehemently warn people away from... Eileen Holtz is one of them. She should not be breeding .... ever!! JMHO
Yeah. When I read the name Echo, I *thought* that was who had had a bunch of dogs confiscated a few years back. Didn't want to say anything because I wasn't 100% sure.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
You seem to want to try to avoid any health problems. So why on earth would you consider a BYB? Please reconsider a rescue.

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
You seem to want to try to avoid any health problems. So why on earth would you consider a BYB? Please reconsider a rescue.
sad to say, but the person who is "Echo" is a DPCA member. Unless you are in the know, you would not realize to avoid her. The problem with the DPCA Code of Ethics is that they really are not very enforceable. Most breeders that are DPCA members are good - but not all. You do have to do your homework and asking on a list like this is a great idea no matter who the breeder is. Also, once you are a DPCA member, it is very hard to get rid of someone if they pay their dues every year. I believe it costs $500 to file a grievence against another member - I don't happen to have that kind of cash to burn.

For the OP - another way to check on a breeder is to contact the local Doberman rescue and ask about them. I also suggest this for people with stud dogs. The local rescue is usually a wealth of knowledge about the local breeders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, today could be my lucky day!! The first breeder called me and said that there was a chance I could get her pup! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks for the feedback on echo guys

1 - 20 of 33 Posts