Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
im gonna get ahold of the vet tomarrow morning to see if i can get him in for a taping.. but if you know of a good way to fix it on my own i can try that. would the breath right strips help? or is that just for the tip of the ears.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
The one ear is a bit off, but considering his age and how old the crop is they seem to be doing quite well (they will droop when he starts teething -aobut 16 weeks) I would post both ears to get them to the same point. it's pretty unlikely that you wouldn't have to do any posting.
it's really not that bad. it's also good practice for your CGC standing and staying while the ears get posted.

cc

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
well i posted his ear for the night and it is looking the same as the other one now.. i know it wasnt posted long enough but i took it off cause im gonna call the vets when they open up to see if someone there can look at it.. but if it does like it did yesturday and the vets wont post it up to stay sraight like the other one.. then ill re do it my self and leave it up longer and keep checking it heh.
thanks for the advice guys.

· Registered
4,856 Posts
the two ears do look differently, but i do think thats just because the right ear is not posted correctly. and like murreydobe said, breathe right strips would just help the tip, which arent a problem right now (but like i cautioned in my post, please watch the ears in the future - i see too many dogs with nice crips have them start to tip and then the ears go out like a Y in the future beacuse the owners stopped posted and didnt support the tips!!!)

like murrey also said - the right ear is folding over the top of the head and leaning it - giving the impression of a shorter ear as well as a different shape to th ebell (that may be real, but at least part of it is due to the pocket forming) - you can see the extra skin coming from the pocket right above jake's head on the medial aspect of the ear.

· Extraordimary
5,202 Posts
There is definitely a pocket forming that needs to be addressed.

Additionally, you've got the choke collar on backwards. That could be potentially dangerous, not that it's recommended to have something like that on while playing with the other dog anyway.

· Registered
602 Posts
DobiLove said:
well i posted his ear for the night and it is looking the same as the other one now.. i know it wasnt posted long enough but i took it off cause im gonna call the vets when they open up to see if someone there can look at it.. but if it does like it did yesturday and the vets wont post it up to stay sraight like the other one.. then ill re do it my self and leave it up longer and keep checking it heh.
thanks for the advice guys.
DobiLove-I just want to say that I love your possitive attitude.:3dbiggrin

Good luck
Naveen

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
yeah, i know about the pocket forming, i had it taped up last night, and then took him to the vets this morning they are gonna do a total retape for me. and as for the collar i know it was on backwarks cause when we were at the vets he was jumping around all excited and i didnt relize i had put it on backwards til after i had taken the pictures. and no he doesnt wear it all the time, only for walks, vets and yesturday for the pictures. he wears a regular buckle collar other wise. but thanks for informing me about it ;)
jamie.

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
DobiLove said:
yeah, i know about the pocket forming, i had it taped up last night, and then took him to the vets this morning they are gonna do a total retape for me.
It shouldn't be that difficult to work with that pocket IF the ears are posted correctly from this point on. Some things to keep in mind to avoid pockets:
the ear has to be pulled all the way up onto the post, avoid bracing at the top-much better to brace down towards the bottom of the ears. If the posts get dislodged and "pop out", take the ears down IMMEDIATELY and repost.

Basically, when the ears are posted they should NEVER do anything but point straight up or *slightly* tipped out..if the posts lean in, you're going to create pockets.

He's got pretty decent ear cartilege for the ears to stand this well right off the top-but that can be a mixed blessing..that means there's very little room for error about how ears are posted...they've got to be done right all the time.

· Banned
6,744 Posts
Man I wish I would have known about this message board when I started posting Rommels ears! There is some great advice to be learned on here.

For example....I never thought about the fact that if the ears started pointing in it could "create" pockets....It totally makes sense, I just never even thought about that.

Rommel started getting a pocket in his left ear (the one I have had so much trouble with) so I started putting a stretched out cotton ball on the tape toward the bottom of the tampon when posting, then backtaping over the cottonball with athletic tape and smoothing it out so it wouldnt irritate his ear. It did seem to help, I dont know if that is the "proper" way to do it....but I couldnt stretch his ears up anymore and there was still a little gap in there.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update: The ear that had a pocket in it has been taped up for a week now, and i just took the tape off to see how it was doing and to clean it.. boy his ear was so dirty.. so im leaving his ear down for the day so it can dry and what not.. at the moment his ear is doing great, standing really nice. but we will see how tomarrow comes. here is the ONLY picture he let me take with the tape off.

as you can see its not pocketing over his head like in my avatar pic and signiture. but only time will tell! heh

· Registered
602 Posts
Hey, that looks much better. Your doing a good job. I am sure it will turn out great.

Naveen

· Registered
1,758 Posts
you know what dobielove? I think this is too much work for you - you better send jack to me right now! ;)

He looks great. you are being so vigilent, I am sure his ears will be great by the time you are done.

cc

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.