Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellow Dobe lovers! I am writing this post to let everyone who read and or comment on my previous post about my 1 year 10 month old male Doberman who I love so much! About a month an half ago (for those who hadn't read my previous post) my fiance and I noticed Snoop was having trouble sitting down, his back legs seemed stiff and he was reluctant to run.. only days before then he was completely normal and running about which led us to believe he had injured one of his legs. Little did we know then we were about to embark on a very long, stressful, emotional painful almost 2 month long journey.
4 vets visits, 1 month of Rimadyl, one incorrect diagnosis of a torn ACL, a bloodtest that showed us he was low on protein (it was coming out in the urine) & one trip to the emergency vet that cost over $1000 with no answer of why. We left the.EV that day thinking it was only a matter of days left in Snoops short life. We didn't know what was causing him to have all of these symptoms like a lack of appetite, swollen joints, stiffness, trouble getting up, depression, lethargy, loss of protein & general malaise. He had so many tests, sonograms and xrays and to no avail. No one could tell us what was wrong with Him. So last weekend I decided that after some small signs of improvement that we had reached a crossroads in our journey to help Snoop, I decided to take him for another blood test. His albumin levels went up but still weren't in normal range. He had a few other questionable things on there too but nothing compared to what we had seen on the last test. The vet did a physical examination and said his joints felt as if they had recently been operated on. They were thick as if something were building up around them. What ever it is its obviously the source of his pain and discomfort. The vet prescribed us Tramadol to help relieve the pain.
2 days of pain medication we saw an improvement in his appetite. The vet also gave us a few cans of Prescription diet and told us to warm it up to bring the aroma out. He should have know that wouldn't be the case for Snoop who prefers it cold right out of the fridge. We had to wait until Monday to get the results for the bloodtest results. When we finally got them our vet decided he was going to start treating Snoop with Prednisone. We started it yesterday and today we are already seeing a big improvement. We saw Snoop wag his tail, walk up the steps on his own, jog, and eat his dry dog food for the first time in over 3 weeks. He actually got up to greet me today when I came home from work. Something he hasn't done in weeks as well. I can only hope he continues down this path & gets better & better with each passing day. Hopefully the Prednisone will help what ever of is he has. I just wanted to let everyone who had read my post how he's doing and. Thank all the nice people here on DT for all your advice, kind wishes & support.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I remember Snoop, and reading his story, and I felt so bad that you could not find out what was wrong to cause his pain. I am so glad he is getting better and that finally something is improving his condition, I can imagine you are so happy to see him up and moving again?! I have been praying for several of the people I know who have problems with their dogs and he was one of them included in my prayers. It makes me happy to know he is on the mend, and that things are looking up!!

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yea Snoop!!! Hopefully you finally got it figured out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I hope things start looking no where but up for you guys. I too said a prayer for snoop and for you guys. I can't begin to imagine how hard this must have been for the both of you. Thank God he is on the road to recovery.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Just remember Prednisone should be a short term drug my sister was on it for over a year caused her Pancreas to quit working right now a diabetic.Just be careful it is also a drug you should not stop abrupt ly should go off it slowly, they usually drink and eat more too. Good Luck to your Fur Kid

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone.....

Thank you all for the well wishes & prayers for Snoop. He is doing way better. For about 2 and a half weeks I would into his eyes and it was like he wasn't there. He finally got life back into his eyes and he is showing interest in things again like food, his toys and getting attention! We all know our Dobes love plenty of that!

Anyway I am sorry to hear about what happened with your sister and Prednisone . My mom has been on Prednisone for about 17 years now (a low dose of 5mg a day) because of a kidney transplant. We knew about the risks involved but since we had no other alternative and he wasn't improving on his own we decided to take it. He seems to be dpi.g very well with it so we are hoping he continues down that road!

To the person who suggested Lyme ( sorry I don't remember your name Im still new to this message board thing & I'm viewing it on my phone) its funny you should say that. I was pretty much convinced that was what he had. I did tons of reading about it and aside from a fever he had all of the symptoms. We used to bring him to a park where it was known to have ticks. Although I never actually found one on him (he always had flea & tic protection) plenty of other people found them both on their dogs or on themselves. I was.pretty much convinced even though he tested negative on 2 seperate tests that, that is what he had. From all of my reading the Snap tests aren't very reliable. They can get a false negative for many reasons one being if the patient was being treated for an extended period of time with anti-inflammatories such as rimadyl (which Snoop was on for a month prior). I was also a little leery about the Prednisone because I also read that it supresses the immune system & can cause Lymes to come back with a vengeance.

Anyway thanks everyone! I will keep you all posted with his progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts