Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old Dobe smells so musky! His beds stink, my house stinks, when he comes in from outside it seem worse. I give him baths, I wipe him with wipes, I have used the deoderant spray, I wash his toys and bedding, I just cannot seem to find something that works! I recently changed his food too thinking maybe he has allergies because of his acne, so he is on a good food with no grain in it. This has really helped his stool. Any ideas on what might work that I have not tried? I never knew he would smell this bad! And, he has always had this smell. It is not something that recently developed.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Sorry, your boy is so stink :p Do you know where the odor is coming from? Body, feet, ears, mouth ?? Have you had him checked by your vet?

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I noticed you are in Texas
it's very hot here
if he spends alot of time outside he can get stinky but it should wear off
when my dog comes in from outside he can stink but it goes away
also how often do you bathe and how many latherings?
I read somewhere long ago that show dogs are bathed five times -twice with dishsoap and I did notice my dog comes out cleaner if I do not use conditioning shampoos--I use two latherings of Dawn and he comes out squeaky clean===

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Have you taken him to a vet? Some skin problems smell awful and can only be treated with the right medication by finding out what it is, and what is causing it.

IMO, for the sake of your dogs comfort, stop bathing him, and dousing him with fragrances, dobes are known to have very sensitive and thin skin. The constant bathing and deodorizing must have done a number on his skin and can be very itchy and inflamed.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
yea I agree with that--even some humans are sensitive to fragrances--

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really do not bathe him that much. Once every couple of weeks? I knew they have sensitive skin, and he has always had chin acne, but I may try the dawn dish soap and see how that goes. My vet has me using an antibacterial wash every 3 days right now for the acne and he is taking antibiotics. His overall body odor is bad, not just one area. Thanks for the info guys! :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the skin condition does not get better once the antibiotics are done, he has one week left, then he is going back to the vet for sure.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I know with humans =-fish oil supplements help skin--helps it keep it's own moisture
maybe ask vet about that
I think it's weird for a dog to have acne---keep reading and researching and eventually you will find something that works

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, he was on puppy purina pro plan when we got him at 10 weeks, and I kept him on it, since he did not seem to have problems. But, the acne got worse, would not heal, and he had alot of stool, sometimes a little too runny or soft, and my trainer suggested he could be allergic to grains like her black dobe was, so I switched about 2 weeks ago to Natural Balance and his stool is so much much better and he is pooping less. His body odor has always smelled musky. Maybe I am overreacting to the smell? after all, he is my first dog in many many years. Maybe I forgot they stink? LOL I will not give up, I will keep trying new things.:D

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
My dogs have no stink. I only bath them maybe 3-4 times per year. I don't feed kibble though.

Many dobes get chin acne. I've read that stridex acne wipes worked for some dogs. Do you use a stainless steel bowl and clean it out every day, after he eats?

I don't want to tell you to switch foods but Natural Balance may be the source of his stinkies. ??

Well, he was on puppy purina pro plan when we got him at 10 weeks, and I kept him on it, since he did not seem to have problems. But, the acne got worse, would not heal, and he had alot of stool, sometimes a little too runny or soft, and my trainer suggested he could be allergic to grains like her black dobe was, so I switched about 2 weeks ago to Natural Balance and his stool is so much much better and he is pooping less. His body odor has always smelled musky. Maybe I am overreacting to the smell? after all, he is my first dog in many many years. Maybe I forgot they stink? LOL I will not give up, I will keep trying new things.:D

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
does he live inside or stay out
I think in Texas heat anyone -dog or person would stink

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
How much is a dose of fish oil everyday?
That could be the problem there.
When I was a kid, my grandmother used to give her dog and (me) cod liver oil every Saturday. (well, until I was old enuf, to reject taking it hehehe).
She said that was all needed for the coat.
I would try minimizing the amount and see.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
yea I was thinking too you may want to do some food research
this sounds crazy but right now my dog is eating Rachel Ray's dog food
before anyone flames me --read the ingredients--no weird chemicals =no animal digest or BHT--but if you look at Purina -they definately have unsavory ingredients ---also dogs like meat =-I give Sparky plenty of beef and chicken and cheese and eggs---he also eats salad--and milk==point is I think people food is good for dogs as well to supplement their dog food

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Does he have bumps all over his body or just on his chin? If he's getting a medicated bath every three days and is on antibiotics, I'd be under the impression that he has a staph infection. If so, those little pustules can smell VERY foul when they rupture, and the unhealthy skin will commonly have an unpleasant, musty smell to it as well.

My dogs only get bathed just prior to a show, but it's never because they smell bad. They do have a weird scent to them after sunbathing for a while, but that tends to fade within five minutes or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hahaha! Yeah, living in Texas is part of it! He is an inside dog, but we play outside often each day and it does not take long to get hot, I expect him to stink worse at those times. It does fade fast after coming in. My vet also told me it was common for him to have chin acne. I have him using ceramic bowls. I also starting using germx wipes on his chin, and that may help some. My vet told me to try some seabreeze on his chin, but I think that burned my poor baby, hence switching to germ x. He let me know right away he did not like the seabreeze. :D

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
A lot of dogs do very well on Purina Pro Plan. You just have to find what works best for your dog.

yea I was thinking too you may want to do some food research
this sounds crazy but right now my dog is eating Rachel Ray's dog food
before anyone flames me --read the ingredients--no weird chemicals =no animal digest or BHT--but if you look at Purina -they definately have unsavory ingredients ---also dogs like meat =-I give Sparky plenty of beef and chicken and cheese and eggs---he also eats salad--and milk==point is I think people food is good for dogs as well to supplement their dog food

1 - 20 of 30 Posts