Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is 5 months now, and I'm starting to notice this odd smell coming from him. Nothing has changed with his diet, he is shedding like crazy right now, no ear infections, he hasn't rolled in anything, and the smell isn't coming from any particular part of his body.

I just gave him a bath two days ago on Sunday (same shampoo that we used when we first got him) and applied an dose of Advantix immediately after. Yesterday, Monday, I already noticed a stinky smell coming from him, and this morning, stronger still!

I read an older thread and RedFawnRising had mentioned that it could be due to puberty. Is 5 months too soon for such a thing? I can't smell the puppy smell anymore :( and get this stinky stale smell instead.

HELP! :(

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Could it be from teething? They can get a funny smell from the bloody gum area when a tooth falls out. I'd check the teeth and gums carefully to be sure the teeth have all come out cleanly so far.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Might it be possible that the Advantix itself is causing the smell? Ideally, it should not be applied within 24 hours of bathing. If I want to bathe my dogs before applying it, I bathe them one day, and apply their Advantix the next night.

·
Super Moderator
15,548 Posts
It could be a staph/bacterial infection on his skin. I would take him to the vet personally. I think what RFR was trying to say is the puppy smell goes away, not that they start smelling "musky" or something. Adult male dobes don't really smell like anything in my experience. They don't even have a "dog" smell to me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped by the pet store on the way home for lunch and picked up a bottle of Nature's Miracle de-orderizing spray. But before I used any of it, I put my nose all over Duke to see if I can pin point the smell, mouth, ears, neck, back, tail, and his paws.

Ellenm, I know that bloody, minerally smell that you're referring to, but that's not quite it.

I think the Advantix does give a slight smell, and good to know that I'm not suppose to apply immediately after a bath. Since he's still growing, the vet sells them to me individually which doesn't include any instructions or warnings.

But...I believe I've found the culprit. I think it's his leather collar!! He's on the very last hole and I keep his collar on at all times except bath times. The smell is strongest around his neck, and his collar is giving off this rotten crayon odor.

So I sprayed his bed a little with the de-ordorizing spray and left him nekkid in his crate.

Gonna put my nose over him again after work and see if it might be any better.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hopefully thats the culprit. I know I for one, hate being around people with leather jackets and such. I have never cared for the smell.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
It could be a staph/bacterial infection on his skin. I would take him to the vet personally. I think what RFR was trying to say is the puppy smell goes away, not that they start smelling "musky" or something. Adult male dobes don't really smell like anything in my experience. They don't even have a "dog" smell to me.
I agree. Dobermans have very little odor. A bad smell would be a signal to me that something was going on-staph, a yeast infection, smelly ears, anal gland problems, etc.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
If leather's gotten wet, and not been cleaned properly afterward, it can develop a nasty smell. The collar just might be the culprit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to have my husband confirm tonight. I really think it is the leather and hopefully not anything else that is serious.

Right after his bath on Sunday, I did immediately put his collar back after towel drying him, knowing that he was going to need to go #2 ASAP!

·
Tuff
14 Posts
Smelly dog

Does your dog still have that smell? I am having a similar issue. My boy is almost 9 months old. 3 days after I bathe him he smells odd. Almost like a pee smell, musky like... He is fully house and crate trained. I have recently changed his food from Taste of the wild to Blue Buffalo (due to soft poops) But he's been doing this for at least two months... I've changed and thoroughly smelled his bedding in his crate. NO PEE there. I moved his crate away from his brother (a 9 year old boxer) Just in case he was miraculously peeing to the other crate. Only because my family teases me that I'm obsessed with finding this smell.... The only thing I have left to do is video him while i'm gone at work...

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Does your dog still have that smell? I am having a similar issue. My boy is almost 9 months old. 3 days after I bathe him he smells odd. Almost like a pee smell, musky like... He is fully house and crate trained. I have recently changed his food from Taste of the wild to Blue Buffalo (due to soft poops) But he's been doing this for at least two months... I've changed and thoroughly smelled his bedding in his crate. NO PEE there. I moved his crate away from his brother (a 9 year old boxer) Just in case he was miraculously peeing to the other crate. Only because my family teases me that I'm obsessed with finding this smell.... The only thing I have left to do is video him while i'm gone at work...
Hi hunnynbabe!
This question, along with your food allergy problems, reminded me of this article I read recently, it may be very helpful:
Eating These Foods Can Cause Dog Yeast Infection
I would definitely start with a grain free food. I believe the Instinct was suggested to you before. The article also has a simple recipe for a foot dip and spray that has been suggested by other members here.
Good luck to you!

·
Tuff
14 Posts
Dobedream, I have had him on Grain free. Taste of the wild. He is now on Blue Bufflao. I think the only thing that is in these foods and the Orijen that the breeder had him on is sweet potatoes. Has anyone had an issue with sweet potato??? Also I am now tresting for staph and yeast and I think it is helping. But I'm afraid to say for sure, don't want to jinx myself! lol

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Odd question - Is he a flank sucker? Flirt is a flank sucker and needs baths more than the other dogs because her flanks get stinky after a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts