Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may get a bit lengthy because I've not really been around for a few days and have so much to brag about :)

Chihiro is just brilliant! About 4 days ago I started clicking and treating as I made dinner only when she was sitting on her bean bag chair (it is so hers too). The chair is right by the kitchen door so it was easy to keep an eye on her. I am happy to report now that every time I walk to the kitchen she gets up to follow me but she stops and the door and sits or lies down in her chair and waits! She is even waiting in her chair or right by it as I prepare HER dinner; although every now and then she'll bounce and bark to remind me that I need to hurry because she is STARVING!

Brag #2... A couple days ago I noticed a trend beginning where she would rush the doors when I opened them. She wants to follow me everywhere which is all great and everything but I don't want her running out of the doors in front of me for obvious reasons. It took only 1 1/2 days of putting her at a sit stay before I opened the door and then either calling her to me or not for her to get it. BRILLIANT I tell you!

Brag #3 and the best of them all. Today we started heel. Today she learned heel (or at least got really good at it:) Somebody in one of the other threads mentioned that all of their dogs are trained on flat collars and or harnesses. A great idea but not one I had ever tried before with dogs in the past. But see Chi has such a great, trusting and sweet personality I didn't want to mess that up at all so decided to use the least aggressive training needed. I have to say too that this was probably the worst day ever to try this, we have a typhoon on the way and it is soooooo windy, making for tons of distractions (mainly those killer blowing leaves, it's kill or be killed in Chi's mind). But we started out and I made up my mind that I would click and treat when she was where she was supposed to be but I would not "correct" her other than a quick pivot if she rushed infront of me. 10 minutes guys, 10 minutes and 2 pivots and this kid had it down, awesome eye contact and everything. I love this dog!

OK that's the end of my bragging for now at this rate she'll be driving Jordan to school by the end of the week and making my coffee of the morning though :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
OHHH THAT'S SOOOOO AWESOME CHI!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!!! Extra kisses to Chi from me!!!!!!!

And way to go TracyJo!! Awesome trainer Momma! Maybe I will have to try this clicker thing after all! I always kinda felt that it is the same to click as it would be to just say GOOD. Guess I'm wrong huh!

Hey along with Chi getting you coffee and stuff, just teach her how to cook, life would be alot simpler for you!!!!!!!!!

I'm sooo psyched for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexus said:
And way to go TracyJo!! Awesome trainer Momma! Maybe I will have to try this clicker thing after all! I always kinda felt that it is the same to click as it would be to just say GOOD. Guess I'm wrong huh!
I'll be honest I'm pretty new to this clicker stuff and am pretty much self taught (bad thing about living overseas is you're pretty isolated from professional trainers or at least professional trainers that you can understand). But I was either told or read that the clicker marks the behavior like saying "good dog or whatever" but it's consistent, it always sounds the ame and is alot faster. Timing is EVERYTHING! Check out Karen Pryors website or any of her books. www.clickertraining.com

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yea for Chihiro! :dancing_b It's so amazing how smart they are isn't it?

And the picture of her w/the ring around her neck is priceless! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts