Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i weighed bruiser today at petsmart and he is only 57 lbs. he is 25.5 in tall and he is almost 12 months old. is this normal for hm to be so small, all other dobrmans are alot bigger or will he hit a growth spurt or will he just be a small male doberman

·
Registered
47 Posts
He may be a little average to smaller male, but remember he is crazy active right now. He will fill out a little more naturally as he matures and maybe get into that desired 26"-28" height.

But, keep in mind and so many forget as they see these huge males that the Doberman is a MEDIUM breed. Intelligent, Athletic, and Agile.

Be happy with your Strong Safety instead of your Offensive Tackle as i'm sure he right on track to reaching maturity. Cheers!

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Just like with people, some dogs have earlier growth spurts, some just grow at a slower but steadier pace, and some have spurts for longer periods... it's actually much healthier for a puppy NOT to grow fast, as this puts a strain on their musculoskeletal systems, and can cause pain, inflammation, and things like arthritis in adult life. And they continue to fill out and gain muscle mass until as late as 2 1/2 - 3 years, so until he's 18 - 24 months, you won't have a definite idea of his adult self. But even if he doesn't reach 26", he's very close... you should post some photos, so people can see what he looks like!

·
Registered
625 Posts
My boy is 15 months and was about 60 lbs at 12 months as well. He's put on a couple of pounds, but he's SO active! I just go by how he looks, and as long as he's healthy I'm happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts