Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Maximus
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, Max is now 4 and a half months old and he has been getting small bumps on his head and neck. I had the vet look at them and she told me it was folliculitis. She said it would resolve, but rather than disappearing he seems to be getting more of them. Any one else have or has had this problem? And if so, any suggested treatment?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't know if it's the same thing that our little one has or not (he's 5.5 months), but Duke and his littermate (the breeder has kept) are called the "bumpy twins."

Duke had a small cluster of bumps on his head, and now bumps on his chest. I think the harness we use on him might irritate the hair and results in bumps after a long walk. After 24 hours, the bumps tend to go away.

The breeder who has kept Duke's littermate said that his bumps were much more severe, almost like hives and he was scratching at them. She used a listerine solution mixture (I don't remember if it was 1:1 or 1:3) and like 60% of the "hives" went away after 24 hours.

I'm sure other's on DT will be able to chime in and confirm the listerine with water ratio. But we are also battling a bumpy puppy.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
If it's an allergy then applying anything topically isn't the answer. You need to find out what the dog is allergic to. Many times staph will be a problem along with the allergy outbreak. I'm not saying you dog definitely has an allergy but it's something to consider. I would be taking him to a dermatologist to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,323 Posts
Staph infections are fairly common in young puppies as a result of an immature immune system. They occur in conjunction with allergy outbreaks too, though 4 months is a tad young for non-food allergies to be showing up.

Blue dobermans, in particular, have lots of skin and coat problems. Those tend to increase with age, but may start as early as 4 months or so. If your dog is blue, you might want to do some research about blue dobermans--you can't prevent their problems completely, but you might be able to lessen their severity a bit.

One way or another, it appears that your vet may feel that the bumps are simply age-related and will disappear on their own. Some people have a little luck keeping their dog's skin in decent shape by doing a sponge bath of listerine and water, or apple cider vinegar (dilution?) occasionally. This might also have the effect of keeping pollens or dust that may be bothering your puppy (if allergy is present) in less contact with him and lessening the scratching.

I'm assuming your vet at least considered skin scrapings if there is the possibility of some form of mange developing?

If your pup is not scratching himself bloody or pulling his hair out by chewing, the above treatment may be all that is needed.

If the situation gets worse, antibiotics might be indicated, possibly antihistamines for the scratching or a visit to the dermatologist--but at this point, I don't think I would worry too much.

But I'm NOT there looking at your dog, AND I'm NOT a vet, so......Good Luck with your little guy.

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
My lil guy is the same age and he had bumps on his head, neck and chest also. My vet told me it was just a skin infection and prescribed the medicine clavomox to him to get rid of it. He was on the meds for 1 to 2 months I wanna say. The meds worked for the most part but there where still a few left after his last pill. All I do now is keep him clean and add fish oil to his food and they have cleared up easy easy. She also said that it was more then likely just a puppy thing and that his immune system would handle the rest later and so far it is. I noticed he did use to get them bad in his armpit area where his harness would rub so I would take it off of him when he was just running around the house. Hope this helps

·
Registered
416 Posts
My lil guy is the same age and he had bumps on his head, neck and chest also. My vet told me it was just a skin infection and prescribed the medicine clavomox to him to get rid of it. He was on the meds for 1 to 2 months I wanna say. The meds worked for the most part but there where still a few left after his last pill. All I do now is keep him clean and add fish oil to his food and they have cleared up easy easy. She also said that it was more then likely just a puppy thing and that his immune system would handle the rest later and so far it is. I noticed he did use to get them bad in his armpit area where his harness would rub so I would take it off of him when he was just running around the house. Hope this helps
Although I'm not the OP, reading this thread does make me feel better about our little guy. (I just realized that you posted on my thread and I was actually mentioning your/this post! :roflmao:)

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Haha nice :D I try to be as helpful as possible with my experience and what ive read. The vet didnt worry much at all when she seen them so after the meds i wasnt worried about it and there going away just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts