Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dog park today with a couple of doberman friends/their dog siblings, so I got a few shots while they were there. Not good shots, mind, but cute anyway - Monster's lost quite a bit of weight recently but I'm starting to wonder if perhaps a food change is in order. She's only getting 2 cups a day (and has been for several months), but isn't really losing much weight. Time to reevaluate. Still has quite a ways to go!

Annnyway.. photos! Mostly Onyx & Monster. :)

^That's Diggory and his dogsister, Zoey. :)
Here's a shot of Zoey by herself..

And another of Onyx. :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super cute pictures! I especially like the second one...it looks like they're having so much fun.
They have such a blast together.. the rope is pretty much their olive branch, otherwise Monster just hassles her and makes Onyx wrestle when she really doesn't want to. LOL So we always bring one with us when we meet up.. unless Diggory is there, because Monster would much rather play with him - he's down for a good wrestle.

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the third picture: ears and eyes are cute! How much was his weight when diet started?
I actually don't know for certain, we didn't weigh her when we started. She was really overweight though - I couldn't feel her ribs at all, and it was just obvious she needed a diet. I still can't quite feel her ribs, she's got a pretty thick layer of fat over them, but we're getting there.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I actually don't know for certain, we didn't weigh her when we started. She was really overweight though - I couldn't feel her ribs at all, and it was just obvious she needed a diet. I still can't quite feel her ribs, she's got a pretty thick layer of fat over them, but we're getting there.
Sorry for my mistake, that's "she". Keep it up her diet.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for my mistake, that's "she". Keep it up her diet.
No worries - that doesn't even bother me anymore. She's VERY doggish, I can't blame anybody for mistaking her for a male.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Green beans. Vader plumped up after he was on pred last winter. He now gets green beans with breakfast. It keeps them full and they are no points! Lol. Although I feed raw so I weigh all his portions. He down to 88. I am also very careful about what training treats he gets. I make sure I read the labels. Dehydrated buffalo and turkey by bravo are very low in fat. Since he does agility his weight is something I keep a close eye on. Also have you tested her thyroid?? Sorry about getting off topic. :).

Beautiful pictures. They look like they are having a blast.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
Can you get a couple of pictures looking from the top down and again straight from the side so we can get a better look at her weight? What are you feeding? If she hasn't had her thyroid tested, it wouldn't hurt to run a full panel, especially if you're having trouble getting her to lose weight.

Looks like she has a blast playing with her friends!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you get a couple of pictures looking from the top down and again straight from the side so we can get a better look at her weight? What are you feeding? If she hasn't had her thyroid tested, it wouldn't hurt to run a full panel, especially if you're having trouble getting her to lose weight.

Looks like she has a blast playing with her friends!
I can do that next time we're out. :) Her last yearly checkup everything was okay, but it's almost time to go again - we'll be making the appointment soon and I'll make sure we get it all done then. I don't think there's anything wrong as I haven't noticed any of other symptoms, but since thyroid problems seem to have varying symptoms it's still possible. I honestly think it might be her food - she's eating TOTW right now.

We never had weight problems with any other food, and I noticed her weight gain when we switched to this. It's been very hard to keep it off since.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
She seems to be a big girl to begin with and she does look very nice in that first photo. You say she has lost a lot of weight already...dogs probably also plateau like humans. Maybe she is just at a plateau for a bit.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She seems to be a big girl to begin with and she does look very nice in that first photo. You say she has lost a lot of weight already...dogs probably also plateau like humans. Maybe she is just at a plateau for a bit.
She is VERY stocky by nature, but I do know that she still has a ways to go with her weight loss - she's still got a bit of a pooch on her belly that needs to go, and I'd like for her to have more of a shape than she does from the top. She isn't morbidly obese by any means, but still, I'd rather her be healthy than risk it.

I also know that it IS winter time and it's getting darker earlier, so she hasn't really had as much time to burn off the excess energy - so I'm really not stressing over it at this point. Still a lot of things to take into consideration, her food, amount of exercise, and all that. She'll get there, it will just take a lot of work on all of our parts to get her there.

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 14 of 14 Posts