Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DobeDiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Someone recently suggested using a slip collar while training Diesel, but he is only 10 weeks. I have used a slip collar before so I know how to use it but I just figured he is too young. What do you guys think or what is an appropriate age to start using such a training tool for a doberman?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I would never feel comfortable putting one of those collars on a dog so young (though, I'm not a fan of those collars to begin with), so I agree with you there. However, I wouldn't be able to give you an appropriate age... I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would never feel comfortable putting one of those collars on a dog so young (though, I'm not a fan of those collars to begin with), so I agree with you there. However, I wouldn't be able to give you an appropriate age... I'm sure somebody else will chime in.
Agree with all of this. I don't think I would use a traditional chain on any dog, of any age. I know you can use prongs at 8mo if needed, and those are safer and more effective.

For now, you should focus on the foundations of good manners.. you shouldn't need any correction aids. Is the puppy pulling on the lead? What specifically are you having issues with? Maybe we can offer some ideas that will help you get the desired behaviors with positive training :)

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey everyone! Someone recently suggested using a slip collar while training Diesel, but he is only 10 weeks. I have used a slip collar before so I know how to use it but I just figured he is too young. What do you guys think or what is an appropriate age to start using such a training tool for a doberman?
Not to be rude but, If you know how to properly use a slip collar you would know that you shouldn't put it on a 10 week old puppy for corrections. Puppies don't need corrections like that, they are babies and it could harm them when they are so little... Not to mention how it could negatively affect your training and how your pup views you... Slip chains are for corrections, after the dog knows what behaviours are expected of him, not to "teach" new ones. Build your relationship with your puppy through positive play, or treat based training... You want your pup to associate all things "positive" with you. I am not advocating purely positive training, nor am I for complete correction based training. Once your dog is older, you may find what works best for him could be a mix of both, but for now he is a baby and doesn't know what he is expected to do anyhow.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
How about when your dog is twenty-three and a half years old? :p

There are a ton of better ways to teach manners and loose lead walking.

You'll find--having a new puppy--that every Tom, Dick, and Jane from the block will chime in with "suggestions" of how to handle your lil dude.

Best to learn now how to sort thru all the advice, good and bad, and be an advocate for what is best for your own puppy.

A great book to get you started is Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Dog Training.

That one will give you the foundation skills you need, and the knowledge to sort thru other stuff as you work more with your growing pup.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use flat collars. if I have a puppy that insists on pulling I use a NO PULL harness so I don't have to train and don't have to get frustrated on all our walks.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
10 weeks? Absolutely not.

It's much more fun to make leash walking rewarding and a game, especially if you're starting at that age. And it's much more rewarding for the human to teach it without coercion (in my opinion and experience).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I agree on the no slip/check/choke collars :) I think teaching loose leash walking is so easy at this age, before he's got strength on his side! I like the method where you walk until the dog gets in front of you/pulls and immediately turn around and walk the other way. Maybe not the quickest way, but definitely works for me with a little patience.

For adult dogs, I like the same method but with a front clipping harness.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
The friends with the most "suggestions" are usually the ones with the worst behaved dogs, from my experience anyways...
And kids!

:laughing:

·
DobeDiesel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I can definitely agree with everyone else chiming in their 2 cents on how to raise the pup.. I didn't think it seemed like a good idea and now I will most definitely try all your methods to see what works best with Diesel, and look into that training book as well. Thank you!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts