Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a bit weird post but I have noticed some time ago that Portia is sleeping with her eyes more less half open, maybe more. I didn't think from the start that was any good, as we have v dry climate here.

Then I noticed some pass coming from both eyes - not a lot - just a dot here and there so I was gently wiping the eyes with cotton and warm water. Then to my horror I discovered an ant on her eyelid while she was sleeping. So that was it!!! - straight to the vet - we got some paste to put in once a day to treat conjunctivitis and moisten the eye.

Question is - will she ever grow out of it and sleep with her eyes closed? Did your puppy sleep with their eyes open? I hope this is going to change soon b/c now I won't be sleeping!

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Conjunctivitis is a whole different thing, but my dogs are always sleeping with eyes rolled back, open/half open when they are by me on the couch.

I don't know what they look at at night.

I do know we have a horribly dry climate and it is common for eyes to weep, and I have been to an opthamologist who has looked in my eyes and said "ouch, they must hurt, they are so DRY". I said no, but I do use natural lubricating drops and I give the dogs some now and then too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My girl sleeps with her eyes half (or more!) open all the time. Here in Houston it's pretty humid, so we haven't had any issues with her eyes. But just know that she may not grow out of it. Luckily, with the beautiful eyes your pup surely has, I'm sure you stare into them often and will quickly notice anything out of the ordinary (like an ant! Eek!!! Ants are sneaky little buggers and really freak me out...)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In South Africa we have all sorts of nasty critters - I am still trying to get used to (coming from Europe) so ants are the 'least' to worry about but still, when they bite - man - you know it. Last night Portia was sleeping by my feet - next thing I see was a big rain spider walking in between me and her. By the pattern on the rug i can tell you it was 17 cm long.. it supposed to be harmless but they do bite.. Now how can you not freak out???

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Yah, that would do it for me. I'd be on a plane out of there.....

·
Super Moderator
22,193 Posts
Simon sleeps with his eyes half open a lot. Kind of creepy to see, but it doesn't seem to harm him at all.

Super yuck on the big bugs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts