Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 8month old pup sleeps inside with us, in an xtra large crate that barely fits in our room. for now that is the only way he can sleep inside since he's so hyper and wont stay still and will keep jumping into bed with us. eventually i want him to sleep with us in the room without the crate. im hoping maybe once he's older he'll sleep thru the whole night?

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
It takes time and a little training. I had to teach mine that the bed is not a fun object to jump on and off of. Time and patience. Once they are used to the same schedule it is not as difficult. A lot of exercise during the day will help as well.

ETA : Cute pup by the way!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and how do you teach a pup that loves to jump on the bed that it is not a fun thing? lol...i know i do have to exercise him a bit more. that is def something i gotta work on. so should i just start having him sleep in the room without the crate and just work with him like that? or just keep the crate for now? thanks for the help!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Persistence. When he jumps on the bed tell him "off" (or whatever you want the command to be) and pull him off of the bed. Do it as unemotionally as possible. If he REALLY likes it it may take hundreds of times but he'll get it eventually.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
and how do you teach a pup that loves to jump on the bed that it is not a fun thing? lol...i know i do have to exercise him a bit more. that is def something i gotta work on. so should i just start having him sleep in the room without the crate and just work with him like that? or just keep the crate for now? thanks for the help!
It's easier if you had started out by never allowing them on the bed...period!

But since that's not what happened then you do it like Patchworkrobot says--say off and remove the dog from the bed. A million times if necessary. And don't let them up on the bed "just this once, because they look so sad." Dogs live with the hope since it was OK once someday it'll be OK again.

I keep puppies in crates until I can count on them going pretty promptly to sleep when I go to bed and the dog goes into the crate. Then (and this is mostly because I usually have more than one dog the puppy graduates to an ex-pen--I use a fairly short one for this and it's a pain to have in a small bedroom but it keeps me from going crazy while the puppy is adapting to the idea of going to sleep without being confined to a crate. The ex-pen provides confinement so they don't spend half the night bugging me or the other dogs but it isn't as absolutely confining as the crate. After a month or so of the ex-pen I start leaving it open--sometimes the puppy gets the idea immediately and just goes to bed in the open ex-pen and stays there--sometimes they don't and we go back to a closed ex-pen--trying it open every week or so. Usually my dogs will sleep on their bed on the floor through the night and not drive all of the rest of us in the bedroom crazy by trying to play with the dogs, the cats or me in the middle of the night by the time they are a year to 15 months.

Varies from dog to dog though...so you just need to keep trying a little more freedom a little at a time. You can do it with just a crate but the ex-pen turned out to move the whole process along a bit faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts