Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Us not the diesel our doberman

Diesel is a very vocal dog if left in another room, and knows that your in the house, even when he is in his cage with bruno (our collie spaniel cross) for company

Recently we have had problems with him sleeping downstairs through the night, and he would vocalise at 00.00-hrs, 02.00-hrs and usually 04.30-hrs, and everytime I would go to him. Really have no option on this one as we live in a victorian terrace and must consider our neighbours. Needless to say the lack of sleep has been taking its toll on us...

We have ended up moving his cage into our bedroom, and now get to sleep from 00.00-hrs to 08.00-hrs ish. I would rather not have him in our room but I need to sleep at night. He also spends the day with us in our office in between walks etc.

Will this make him even more of a needy dog?

NDJ

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Probably not, if he sleeps now in his crate ( i hate the word cage) without any incidents. It took us a full week of getting our girl adjusted to her crate when we got her at 12 weeks. If they do bark in the crate, its best not to go and talk to them, because it does encourage that behavior. If you do not want his crate in your room, then I would suggest to work on moving it back in as soon as you can. If you can make him a tired puppy in the later part of the evening, they can settle in their crate for the night and be asleep before you go to your room. A tired puppy makes a happy owner.

We have our girl's crate in the room where we spend the most time in the evenings. She's usually will go to her crate on her own during the evening with no fuss. I really believe she sees her crate as her room where its all hers and she feels safe in, like a den. Its got about 3 inches of fluffy padding with a fleece throw blanket on top. Not a bad room. I was wondering how often do diesel spend in a crate during the rest of the day? Does he ever go in it on his own? this might help in providing some insight.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
All our dogs sleep in our bedroom, Mocha has her own couch and blankets! I want her there in case someone does actually ever try to break into our house or when my hubby is away, I have her with me. We were lucky in that we never had to crate her.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
NDJ
Do you have kids (human?) we went thru this with my youngest. thre were a couple of nights where she must have screamed for a couple hours - probably more like a couple of mintes ;)

you just got to let him holler - I know it's tough, but maybe if you warned the neighbors and tried going to bed early. You have to stop going to see diesel. Cuz right now he sees it that he calls and you come. Cody would do this after my husband was away on travel. when J was gone Cody always slept with me and did not like it when jason came and took 'his' spot!

Sounds like a pain in the butt, but maybe if you start with the tough love on a Friday, neighbors won't complain so much.

good luck

cc

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice... can't really leave him to scream through the night as the neighbours who live in the basement of our house (sorry garden flat..lol) don't get along with us as it is.

Just to update you all, both dogs sleep in our bedroom and I now get 8-hours plus of uninterrupted sleep... one happy doberman owner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts