Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Be careful on encouraging her growth to be too big. Pups need slow steady growth. By providing too many supplements now, you could be accelerating her growth, which will lead to joint problems in the future. Dobermans are supposed to be a medium sized dog with a medium build - their frame is not designed to carry the weight of a large dog. I actually took my pup off of puppy food around 4.5 or 5 months old just to slow her growth down.
I know with humans, too much calcium can be a bad thing, I'm sure the same holds true with dogs. Make sure you talk to your vet about any and all supplements and adjust them accordingly as she grows.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
deepaksikkanthar said:
hmm her mother was quite big for a female doberman . and i think even my pup is quite big for her age . eventhough she was skinny when i brought her home she was quite healthy and has a frame . her paws were huge . but i dunno how being away from her mother is gonna affect her because its a normal practise in india to seperate the pup from the mother with six weeks . by the way she is doing great now very healthy good legs and shiny coat . since i am not going to show her i want her to be huge . i am supplementing her diet with calcium supplements and vitamins .
Too much calcium is not good for her bones.
My first Doberman was the runt of litter. He weighed 1/3 of what his littermates weighed. He ended up still weighing 85 lbs.
She will be the size she is meant to be. Iwouldn't try to change that.
Just love her for what she is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
thanks for all the advice . i know that dobermans are medium sized dogs . and i shouldn accelerate her grwoth much . but i dont want her to end up a small dog . and i have another doubt , right now i allow her inside my room and everywhere inside my house . but a breeder told me that a pup shouldn be allowed in shiny and polished surface because its leg will not be straight when it grows . is it true ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
my dobi runs on tile all the time due to we live in military houseing and arent allowed carpet. if you take her outside for pottying and playing her legs will get used to the differnt surfaces. cause my puppy was kept in one of those plastic pools so when i got him his legs wernt used to all the differnt surfeces(sp?) but a couple days he was running around better.
Jamie.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hmm thanks a lot . my puppy has grown into a handsome well shaped dobie from a skinny malnourished puppy three weeks back . she ll be getting her booster for the combined vaccine by 24th of this month . by the way i am not cropping her i like the natural floppy ear . by the way i read some site that vitamin capsules for humans can also be given to dogs , is it true ? ifso what abt calcium supplements .and i also want some advice on my post about her leg .

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I would imagine that if the pup has nothing but slippery surfaces to slide around on, they could have developmental and joint problems. I don't see how her muscles could develop normally if not allowed to work normally. Does that make sense? Imagine if you grew up on ice. Your leg muscles would be different than they are now because they would have been worked differently to help provide you balance and stability on the slippery surface... That said, my house is mostly tile (also in military housing :) with a few carpets and area rugs and Chi is maturing beautifully.
I don't think that giving human vitamins to dogs is a good idea, but then again, I'm not a vet and this is a question for a vet in my opinion. Dogs and humans need different amounts of different nutrients.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like others have already said... Be careful with calcium! She can develope painful joint issues.There is some threads on joint issues in puppies you should check out.
It sounds like you are going to have a big dog anyway i would not force her to grow faster then she needs to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
hi everyone been a long time since i made a post . now almost 2 and half months over she is doing great . she is perfect in all aspects .she is getting her daily supplement of vitamins and calcium . now the problem is that i have a large yard with wall i let her out offleash inside my yard . whenever she steps out she gets bitten by mosquitoes . is there any mosquitoe repellents for dogs please let me know .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
hi all . ok now my puppy is healthy and playfull , had her second set of vaccinations . now i am going to take the road less traveled yes i am going to feed my pup raw diet . after reading a lot about raw food and talking to lot of people . i have come to the conclusion . i am going to feed raw . In India where i live raw meat is much cheaper than commercial food . i have lot of butchers near my place . so i am going to start feeding her raw . ill keep you people updated on the progress .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, I know how tough it is hand rearing a pup, I rescued Wez from a puppy farm at only 2 hrs old as his mum couldn't produce milk and the 'breeder' was going to drown him, Its been hard work but he is 5 weeks today and is doing really well.

Vikki

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Mosquitoes are quite the problem here too. I have Chi on garlic pills to help keep the fleas away and they seem to help with the mosquitoes too, she doesn't get bitten nearly as much as I do :) I've also heard that fabric softener works or taking and diluting a flowery smelling liquid soap 4 parts water, 1 part soap and spritzing it on her coat is said to work as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have not seen anyone say anything about this so I figured I would just add this in.
Please, have your vet check your dog for heartworms and then get her on heartworm prevention. Dogs will contract heatworms from mosqutoes and it is not only costly to treat for them once contracted but treatment is very hard on the dog and some don't live through it.
I am a firm believer that dogs should be on heartworm prevention year round and not the 6 months a year some vet's recommend.
Amy

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.