Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i am new to doberman forum . i bought a dobe female puppy from a friend . the mother of my puppy is a really good dog a show class dog . and the puppy shows all the characteristics of her mother . the legs are really good . due to my friends negligence she is too skinny . she is a month old . so what can i do to make her gain weight and be normal . and when can i start feeding pedigree to her . any help is really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A 4 week old puppy should still be nursing from the dam! Puppies should not leave the mother or the littermates until they are at least 8 weeks old. They learn so much about bite inhibition and general manners in that time frame.

I'm not sure what you mean by her legs are really good?

You need to get that puppy to a vet asap. You may have to supplement with a puppy formula or wet some dry dog food, NOT Pedigree, that is trash and make it mushy for the little one to be able to eat it.

This is a disaster. Who would take a 4 week old puppy away from it's mother??

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
well the solution I would have is probably take the 1 month and 10 day old puppy back to his mom so she can get the nutrition she needs...if that isn't an option take it to the vet for some serious special care ASAP...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why would you have a pup thats ONLY 40 days old?!?!?!?!?! Also WHY would you WANT to feed Pedigree??????

Edit.....Sorry i just cant understand why, they are so small and fragile at that age :(

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
deepaksikkanthar said:
hi all i am new to doberman forum . i bought a dobe female puppy from a friend . the mother of my puppy is a really good dog a show class dog . and the puppy shows all the characteristics of her mother . the legs are really good . due to my friends negligence she is too skinny . she is a month old . so what can i do to make her gain weight and be normal . and when can i start feeding pedigree to her . any help is really appreciated.
Emotionally, it would be better for that puppy to be taken back to the "breeder" (and I say that loosely about anyone that would place a puppy this young) and allowed to grow up for another month or so with her littermates.

But this puppy is old enough to wean..what are you feeding it now?

Generally I start puppies with a mixture of goat's milk and baby cereal..gradually adding softened puppy kibble to the mixture. A lot of people skip the cereal and go directly to mush of softened kibble and goat's milk..you gradually reduce the amount of goat's milk they're given until by 8 weeks they're eating just the puppy kibble. Make sure there's always fresh water available as well. They should be fed 4 times a day at the age you're at now.

Please look into feeding ANY dog a better quality of kibble than Pedigree.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I can't imagine any one with a show quality bitch would breed her and let the puppies go at 40 days or less. course I can't imagine anyone letting a pup go that early. I hope to god the others - if there were any left - we're sold/given away that early.

Get that baby to a vet ASAP

cc

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys i know that a month and 10 days is too early to seperate the pup . but what else do you expect us to do when the mother is not taking care of the pup as this is her first litter and this is the only pup . no please tell me what all can feed her . i give her cow's milk four times a day with cerelac ( infant food) . what else can i give her to gain weight .

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Call your vet, there is a supplement called Espilac, it mirrors the mother's milk and will be easy for the pup to digest. You may even be able to get it at a pet store or even Walmart. I would suggest using it to moisten a high quality puppy food for at least the next several weeks.
I might be wrong but I don't think that cows milk is good for pups, maybe try to do a little more research on it...
All in all, I think you will get the best answers from a vet or an experienced breeder. You said the bitch is show quality? Maybe contact her breeder for advice and reccomendations...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I total agree. get to a vet, the puppy will need to be wormed at 5 weeks and at 7 weeks also shots shots and more shots. Get the baby on puppy formula ASAP If you can not find "Esbilac" which is puppy milk formula locally. go to WWW. upco.com then go to puppy care.. if you have trouble PM me and I will go get it for you!! good Luck I know you are trying to do the right thing! the Breeder is to blame, they should have taken the time to finish weaning the puppy till it was 8 weeks even if that means hand feeding the puppy!
Really though if you have trouble finding the formula PM me and I will send you some in a day!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's what I love about this forum, someone needs help and guidance, and everyone is there for them. Great advice and support everyone, you're all absolute gems. :clap2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for the support . and about the puppy formulae . i asked my pet about that she told me to feed her cerelac ( baby formulae for infants ) she told its good and nutritious for my puppy .and frznbuns thanks a lot , but u wont be able to help me because i live in india . my puppy got her first shot ( parvo ) today . my vet told me to bring her back after a month for the booster and combined vaccines . and she told me that th puppy is healthy just a bit underweight . once again thanks for all the help .

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
please keep a close eye on her - like babies, puppies that young can go south pretty quick. if you even think there might be something not right, please,please please call the vet.

cc

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i started giving her royal canine puppy formula as adviced my vet . she seems to be happy and gaining weight . playful all the day

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
deepaksikkanthar said:
thanks everyone for the support . and about the puppy formulae . i asked my pet about that she told me to feed her cerelac ( baby formulae for infants ) she told its good and nutritious for my puppy .and frznbuns thanks a lot , but u wont be able to help me because i live in india . my puppy got her first shot ( parvo ) today . my vet told me to bring her back after a month for the booster and combined vaccines . and she told me that th puppy is healthy just a bit underweight . once again thanks for all the help .
Wow Holy Overseas! India! Hey, I would not have cared! I still would have helped! Good luck and I am happy that all is going good now. Keep us up to date! we are here to help!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts