Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up: Basie (2 1/2 yrs old) beautiful boy has had skin issues for a long time...have tried everything, including Nzymes...worse...where he had some acne is now hairless-not itchy, I think though. Dermatologist determined not mange or buggies...

Current food: Fromme salmon, salmon oil, salmon shredded into his food...help!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Is he a Black, Red, Blue, Fawn? Photos? If he was totally Vet checked. What did your Vet say it could be? Maybe a second opinion?
Here are some other things to try that we use. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Egg, Vit E 400iu, Pure Olive Oil.
Have you tried adding some Probiotics in his food? Are you feeding also good treats? What were the other foods he was on? Maybe he is allergic to fish?
Has the Vet done a complete Thyroid panel??

Also I make my own coat spray. Found it in Doberman Digest
24oz spray bottle
Listerine (Yes the mouthwash)
Alpha Keri or CVS Shower & Bath Oil
Any Human Hair Conditioner I try and get an all Natural one
Filtered or Bottled Water
Kiwi Soft shoe brush
Microfiber cloth

Bottle mixture
Listerine 1in
Shower bath oil .5in
Hair Conditioner 2in
Add water to top

Spray coat with Filtered or Bottled Water
Wipe with cloth
Brush with soft brush
Wipe again with cloth
Spray with Coat Spray
Brush in with soft brush
Depending on the condition of coat. You can use daily to get coat in condition and then weekly to maintain

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
You might want to contact your dermatologist for you buddy and discuss food allergies. Many times it can be worked back to a food allergy. HTH

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
I give up: Basie (2 1/2 yrs old) beautiful boy has had skin issues for a long time...have tried everything, including Nzymes...worse...where he had some acne is now hairless-not itchy, I think though. Dermatologist determined not mange or buggies...

My girl is allergic to fish. Really affects her coat condition. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Also here is a good site to get some info. Just put in Skin & Coat in the search
Pet Nutrition and Animal Wellness - Mercola.com
Also in the search under Allergies
Does Your Pet Have Allergies? What You Need to Know and Do

Also I would not be getting yearly Vaccine boosters anymore. Get Titer tests.
Most Vets are going to a 3yr protocol like the Vet schools are teaching now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
RE: Skin issues

we had the same issue with our young red boy; dermatologist confirmed it is a genetic skin disorder "Follicular Dysplasia". nothing to be done except management, periodic antibiotics for skin infections.

Symptoms: acne type bumps on back/flanks, not itchy, hair loss, brittle hair. once the antibiotics kicked in the bumps have now gone away and the hair is growing in, but it will never look "normal". lots of shampooing with prescription antibacterial shampoo, then moisturizing shampooos. Added fish oils too. NOTHING helped with diet, we went through all of that before.

mention it to your vet, or ask for a derm referral. we spent $1000 on useless tests and then we walked into the derm and he diagnosed him in 5 minutes :(

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Have you tried raw feeding?

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
2 Posts

I know exactly how you feel - but I wanted to make a suggestion... My dobie is almost 4 and he is black and tan - around a year to a year and half old he started having skin and coat issues - accompanied by non stop itching.. I tried EVERYTHING - and countless visits to different vets and canine dermatology clinics as well. The process in itself makes it so frustrating - skin and coat problems in Dobermans ( or any breed for that matter) have to go through the process of elimination of what it isnt so you can finally reach a conclusion as to what it is - give it a name so to speak - Skin is a live organ and so all the food trials and different treatments and meds all have a 3 month ( if not more) period before being able to determine a true significant change in the dogs skin.. All that being, the answer was in front of me all along but I didnt pick up on it as well as denial setting in. been trial and error for 2 years straight now - I recently pulled out my dog Xander's Pedigree as he is a pure bred from a breeder- it was then I realized Xanders father (Sire ) was a fawn... If you have a doberman that is the offspring of either a blue or a fawn I suggest you look up " Doberman Color Mutant Alopecia." The proper medical term is Color dilution Alopecia (CDA). If neither parents of your dobie was a blue or a fawn than disregard researching further on this syndrome as it wont apply if no blue or fawn heritage exsits in the family tree. Not sure if it skips a generation or not but start there and may have just saved you from another year of trials and medicines and experiments...

CDA is a inherited type of follicular dysplasia - This condition occurs in 93% of all Blue dobermans and 75% in all Fawn Dobermans.. Dobies with this are born with healthy and normal appearing coats - Symptoms generally develop in dogs 4 months to 3 years old... And as I said earlier My dobie is a black and tan - so all you need to inherit this bad mutant gene...

So confirm your dogs parents lineage and type - if one (from any generation) was a blue or a fawn - chances are the your dobie inherited this mutant gene... Hope this was helpfull- it this doesnt apply to you at least you learned something new today.. Good Luck.. I will look for future posts of yours.... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Has he had a full thyroid panel? If that was normal I'd probably be scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Groomer & Trainer
38 Posts
Have you tried grain free? My boy was loosing his hair, had dry dandruffy skin, and would get pimple like bumps really often. I was told to put him on grain free and missing link enzyme. Its only been a short time so i cant tell you if it is working yet, but he hasnt had a pimple outbreak since. Its something to try at least. This is of course if its not a thyroid problem, my guys panel came back clean.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I will say it also. :). Has he had a full Thyroid Panel (not the T4 the vet does, but the FULL panel, sent out to MSU or Idexx)?

If yes, and nothing else works, try a Raw Diet.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Also can send the blood out to Dr. Jean Dodds at Home for the Thyroid Test.
Is he still on the Fromm? Maybe think about trying a Grain Free food?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts