Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brandy's got a skin tag on her belly, looks kind of like an extra nipple. I'm not really worried about it, color's fine, etc, but it's ugly. I'm wondering if any of you have removed one yourself or is it something we should bring to the attention of the vet next time we go? If it were on me, I'd probably just try the old dental floss around the base trick, but she's my baby, so I'm extra cautious.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My older Vizsla had one around her eye. I left it, but it bugged hubby so he asked the vet. She said just removing it would cause a lot of bleeding and messiness and didn't think putting her under was worth it. Lucky forh ubby, she tore it off herself in the field one day. And she did bleed quite a lot but it's gone now :)

I'd leave it alone myself. Have the vet take a peek at the next exam.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
Simon has a couple. The vet isn't worried about them and we just leave them alone.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brandy had one on her eyelid about a year ago that we had to have removed, because she kept ripping it open. The vet was able to use the laser so it healed up fast. Thanks for the feedback, think I'll just have the vet take a peek next time we're in. :)

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Fiona has a small one in the pit between her right front leg and her chest. The first time I noticed it I thought, "That is one crazy nipple..." Then I took a closer look and realized what it was. :)

Her vet said to watch it just in case but she doesn't think it's worth removing, especially considering it's kinda tucked away so it's unlikely to tear off. You only see it if she lays down and stretches her front legs way out and I don't even think she knows it's there so I'm fine ignoring it.

Reactions: Adara and Meldrew79

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
This is not a recommendation, but I did remove one from our old GSP at one time. She had a pretty fair sized skin tag. My husband brought home a tiny O ring from work, which we rolled onto the lid of a Bic pen. We put the lid of the pen over the skin tag and rolled the O ring onto the base of the skin tag. We brushed on some iodine. It started to turn black after a few days and started to shrink and eventually the O ring became too big at which time we did tie a piece of thread onto the base of the skin tag, more iodine, and eventually it shrivelled off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts